Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Due December 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I am also fed up. Struggling to see how I can make it another four weeks.

I really hope that you get good news tomorrow, Shelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m here fantasising about going a week or two early lol! Mam came to help and I got lots of rest today but I am still just exhausted and all of me aches. It’s so close and yet so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

I feel you, I've another 3 weeks in work and although being at home 3 days is great sitting at the kitchen table is so uncomfortable all day. I lose all motivation by the afternoon ☹ thats even sitting on a hot water bottle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

So, I got great news today, I'm being induced at 38wks - so only two weeks to go, I'll be having a November baby :)

I've back in for a final scan and vaginal exam on 26/11 to ensure it's safe to induce, and all going well I'll be booked in for a day between 27th and 30th.

I'm so relieved, I have to say I find my consultant fantastic, I really feel like he listens and take the time to talk through everything fully at every visit.

Oh great shelli!

Ah that's great news Shelli, the end is in sight now!

I'm in having the glucose tolerance test this morning everything crossed that it comes back negative so I don't have to add worrying about diabetes into the mix over the next few weeks!

Becks0603 wrote: »
    Ah that's great news Shelli, the end is in sight now!

I'm in having the glucose tolerance test this morning everything crossed that it comes back negative so I don't have to add worrying about diabetes into the mix over the next few weeks!

Is that a second test? Just wondering if they did an earlier one, for some reason I thought it was done around 20wks...or maybe that's just because of family history I'd be high risk for diabetes.
    Just curious. 😊

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Is that a second test? Just wondering if they did an earlier one, for some reason I thought it was done around 20wks...or maybe that's just because of family history I'd be high risk for diabetes.
    Just curious. ��

That was my first test but I do think it's usually done much earlier, the consultant asked me last week had I had one because my BMI was a little high and they told me that baby's head was a bit big at 33 week placenta scan.

The lady this morning said it could be Monday or Tuesday again I hear if I'm positive so I'm not sure how much difference it will make to me I'll be 36 weeks on Tuesday!

That was my first test but I do think it's usually done much earlier, the consultant asked me last week had I had one because my BMI was a little high and they told me that baby's head was a bit big at 33 week placenta scan.

The lady this morning said it could be Monday or Tuesday again I hear if I'm positive so I'm not sure how much difference it will make to me I'll be 36 weeks on Tuesday!

Best of luck!

I think they usually tend to induce early if diabetes is confirmed. But it would depend on baby size too.

Shelli, that's great news. I'm thrilled for you. The end is nigh!! I am actually jealous.

• Advertisement

Best of luck!

I think they usually tend to induce early if diabetes is confirmed. But it would depend on baby size too.

The baby didn't seem to be measuring big other than the comment that his head was a bit big so I'm not really sure where I stand but I've an appointment with the consultant next Friday and she said we could discuss booking a section for 39 weeks so they might just bring that forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

I'm also having a glucose tolerance test tomorrow. My first test also at 37 weeks! Had a routine growth scan on friday. Baby is no longer breech which is good news, but he has too much fluid around him (polyhydramnios), which will make it hard for him to engage. Gestational diabetes is the most common cause but often no cause is found. Having another scan then on Friday and seeing the team afterwards to see if there's been any change.

I'm also having a glucose tolerance test tomorrow. My first test also at 37 weeks! Had a routine growth scan on friday. Baby is no longer breech which is good news, but he has too much fluid around him (polyhydramnios), which will make it hard for him to engage. Gestational diabetes is the most common cause but often no cause is found. Having another scan then on Friday and seeing the team afterwards to see if there's been any change.

Good luck with the test. At least we will both know where we're at by Friday.

I'm in the same boat with extra fluid, only showed on the 34wks scan. They never said anything about it causing difficulties, I know she's pretty low down from the last scan, not fully engaged though.

Hopefully it won't be a problem for either of us.

I'm in the same boat with extra fluid, only showed on the 34wks scan. They never said anything about it causing difficulties, I know she's pretty low down from the last scan, not fully engaged though.

Hopefully it won't be a problem for either of us.
    Oh are you Shelli? Did you have a glucose tolerance test?

Oh are you Shelli? Did you have a glucose tolerance test?

Yes, it was negative. I think I had it around 24wks, but my father and grandfather were both diabetic.
    I had a very similar pregnancy on my first son, and was tested a few times but no GD there either.

I had an appointment yesterday. All fine and perfectly straightforward and nothing strange. I was nearly disappointed, I was hoping there’s be some sign she was going to come early! I am so tired still.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I had an appointment yesterday. All fine and perfectly straightforward and nothing strange. I was nearly disappointed, I was hoping there’s be some sign she was going to come early! I am so tired still.

That's great news. Still not too long to go for you.

Good to hear all went well, how many weeks have you left? I didn't hear from the hospital so I'm assuming that means no news is good news as far as the GTT goes. Looking forward to Friday now to hopefully have a plan in place.

• Advertisement

Good to hear all went well, how many weeks have you left? I didn't hear from the hospital so I'm assuming that means no news is good news as far as the GTT goes. Looking forward to Friday now to hopefully have a plan in place.

2 weeks 3 days. I just have a feeling I’ll go over. Maybe because my first was late (second was a section so I don’t know would he have been late too). The good thing is I worked out of I go the maximum over and then end up with a section so a longer hospital stay I am still home for Christmas lol

Hope the GTT results are good. Is it Friday they tell you, or you have an appointment Friday?

2 weeks 3 days. I just have a feeling I’ll go over. Maybe because my first was late (second was a section so I don’t know would he have been late too). The good thing is I worked out of I go the maximum over and then end up with a section so a longer hospital stay I am still home for Christmas lol

Hope the GTT results are good. Is it Friday they tell you, or you have an appointment Friday?

Happy days its nice to have that peace of mind if worst comes to worst you'll be home with the kids for Christmas 😊

They said they would call if the results were positive and it could be Monday or Tuesday by the time they called but I've had no calls so I'm taking it as good news haha

I've an appointment with the consultant Friday, last time she said I can let them know if I want them to try turn baby next week at 37 weeks or else go for a planned section at 39 weeks. I think if he's still breech I'm just going to go for the planned section, I'd feel a bit more calm with that.

I had my GTT on Monday and really didn't expect it to be positive... but it was!! They said i wouldn't get a call about it unless the levels were off the charts high and I needed insulin. But I work in the hospital so was able to look up the results myself. I've done a bit of research on it and started myself on a GD diet as I wont see the team or have another scan now til friday.

In a way I'm relieved it was positive as it explains the extra fluid and means I'll probably be induced a week early, which id be happy with at this stage of the game...

I had my GTT on Monday and really didn't expect it to be positive... but it was!! They said i wouldn't get a call about it unless the levels were off the charts high and I needed insulin. But I work in the hospital so was able to look up the results myself. I've done a bit of research on it and started myself on a GD diet as I wont see the team or have another scan now til friday.

In a way I'm relieved it was positive as it explains the extra fluid and means I'll probably be induced a week early, which id be happy with at this stage of the game...

I totally get the relief, its nice to know there's an explanation for the extra fluid and if it works in your favour with the early induction then happy days! I didn't hear anything back I'm sure the consultant will be able to tell me the results in Friday anyway.

I've an appointment with the consultant Friday, last time she said I can let them know if I want them to try turn baby next week at 37 weeks or else go for a planned section at 39 weeks. I think if he's still breech I'm just going to go for the planned section, I'd feel a bit more calm with that.

Mine was fine. Even the recovery which people say is much harder on a section didn’t seem that bad. Never had an emergency one but I’ve heard elective is much calmer. Honestly the only real negative bit about it for me was the nerves walking into theatre, once I heard the waters go I relaxed and it was plain sailing

Beanybabog, that's great news.

I was with my consultant yesterday and my baby girl is measuring a little bigger than average. He wants me back next Tuesday for a sweep. I got a shock and didn't ask any questions. It only really sunk in when I got home. I will be 37+3 on Tuesday. Has anyone had one before? From my research online it seems many hospitals have a policy of only doing sweeps from 40 weeks+. I am so confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was with my consultant yesterday and my baby girl is measuring a little bigger than average. He wants me back next Tuesday for a sweep. I got a shock and didn't ask any questions. It only really sunk in when I got home. I will be 37+3 on Tuesday. Has anyone had one before? From my research online it seems many hospitals have a policy of only doing sweeps from 40 weeks+. I am so confused.

You don't have to get one if you don't want to. Maybe question them and know all the reasons for it first before agreeing to it.

andreac wrote: »
    You don't have to get one if you don't want to. Maybe question them and know all the reasons for it first before agreeing to it.

You're considered full term from 37 weeks! The question is, if the sweep doesn't work what then?

I'm *guessing* I'll be given a sweep at 37+5 too - I'm booked in for vaginal exam and final growth scan, with a view to booking induction at 38wks.

I had my appointment in Friday and I'm booked in for a section on 9th of December at 39 + 1. Excited to have a date and looking forward to meeting the little man but feeling anxious about the stay in hospital and the recovery. It'll be a quiet Christmas anyway with everything going on so hopefully all goes OK.

How are you all doing?

I had my appointment in Friday and I'm booked in for a section on 9th of December at 39 + 1. Excited to have a date and looking forward to meeting the little man but feeling anxious about the stay in hospital and the recovery. It'll be a quiet Christmas anyway with everything going on so hopefully all goes OK.

How are you all doing?

Aw thats great Becks! Don't worry about the hospital, it feels very safe and in some ways the lack of visitors is a godsend.

I didnt get a clear induction date yet but was told I'd be induced at either 39 or 40 weeks depending on how controlled my gestational diabetes is and whether im on insulin. Scan was good, no real change. Saw the diabetic nurse and started monitoring. Its a full time job and I've had a few higher levels as its trial and error and I dont have much time. Im trying my best but I have a feeling they'll put me on insulin some time next week and then induce me at 39 weeks, which would be the first of December.

• Advertisement

That’s good becks, you’ll be home well in time for Christmas!

Aw thats great Becks! Don't worry about the hospital, it feels very safe and in some ways the lack of visitors is a godsend.

I didnt get a clear induction date yet but was told I'd be induced at either 39 or 40 weeks depending on how controlled my gestational diabetes is and whether im on insulin. Scan was good, no real change. Saw the diabetic nurse and started monitoring. Its a full time job and I've had a few higher levels as its trial and error and I dont have much time. Im trying my best but I have a feeling they'll put me on insulin some time next week and then induce me at 39 weeks, which would be the first of December.

That wouldn't be too bad you would be home and well settled for Christmas too! Yeah it will be a nice chance for us to bond with the babies without lots of visitors and as a FTM I will need all the tips the midwives are giving out!

Wow, seems like we're all bring brought in early.

Maybe they want us all cleared for their Christmas holidays. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Haha, I'm the only one left to my own devices it seems!

Im 38+4 atm. Had last GP appointment yesterday, was weird to think the next time I'll be back to her I'll have a baby in toe for their two week check. All very surreal.

Great to hear yer all doing well!! Not long more to go..where has the time gone!

Wow, seems like we're all bring brought in early.

Maybe they want us all cleared for their Christmas holidays. Lol

I’m not! Bet I’ll be hanging around until
    42 weeks... because I’m a VBAC and can’t really
    Be induced asked if I go over is it just a section and my consultant said he’ll do a sweep. Never had one but slightly dreading it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It really isn't the worst Beany, it is over in seconds. You can feel a bit crampy for a few days afterwards though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have asked for an internal exam first, then maybe a sweep at the next appointment on previous occasions. Sometimes the internal gets things moving a bit. I wouldn't be lining up for one at 37 weeks tbh, can you ask him what he means by "bigger than average". (having gone through a somewhat similar rigmarole on my third :rolleyes: )

So I was in clinic today and got to ask all of my questions this time. It was a lovely female OBGYN - not my silent male consultant. They wanted to do the sweep because 1. the baby is bigger than average and 2. My own discomfort. My PGP is quite severe and I'm really starting to struggle. My BP has also increased a bit. I also felt the baby drop the week before last and the pressure on my back and pelvic floor has been significant since.

She said she would examine me first and then I could decide if I wanted the sweep. She examined me and I was 1cm dilated, the cervix was soft and baby's head was very low and fully engaged. She recommended the sweep and I went with it because I was very confident in her. No pain but lots of pressure so quite uncomfortable but it only lasted for about 60 seconds so it was fine.

If there's no movement I'm back in clinic next Tuesday and will be booked in for an induction then. But the pressure in my back, bottom and pelvic floor has been intense all week so I'm really hoping that I go sooner rather than later.

shesty wrote: »
    I have asked for an internal exam first, then maybe a sweep at the next appointment on previous occasions. Sometimes the internal gets things moving a bit. I wouldn't be lining up for one at 37 weeks tbh, can you ask him what he means by "bigger than average". (having gone through a somewhat similar rigmarole on my third :rolleyes: )

Oh dear. What happened?

So I was in clinic today and got to ask all of my questions this time. It was a lovely female OBGYN - not my silent male consultant. They wanted to do the sweep because 1. the baby is bigger than average and 2. My own discomfort. My PGP is quite severe and I'm really starting to struggle. My BP has also increased a bit. I also felt the baby drop the week before last and the pressure on my back and pelvic floor has been significant since.

She said she would examine me first and then I could decide if I wanted the sweep. She examined me and I was 1cm dilated, the cervix was soft and baby's head was very low and fully engaged. She recommended the sweep and I went with it because I was very confident in her. No pain but lots of pressure so quite uncomfortable but it only lasted for about 60 seconds so it was fine.

If there's no movement I'm back in clinic next Tuesday and will be booked in for an induction then. But the pressure in my back, bottom and pelvic floor has been intense all week so I'm really hoping that I go sooner rather than later.

Ah it sounds like you were ok for a sweep so, I am always a bit sceptical of it if you are not "favourable" as they say!

I won't go into the whole story, but I was told " a bit bigger" all the way along on my third too...eventually lost patience and asked the doctor what exactly "bigger" was, since she kept mentioning it (around 34 weeks sometime).She estimated about a half pound heavier than my second child.She was more than a bit out, but by no means was it her fault, as it is a really inexact science, measuring by a scan.And to be honest, I expected him to be a bit bigger than my second because that is fairly normal with each subsequent child.

Better off to go in and labour without having to worry about the size.But you are obviously quite uncomfortable too, which is hard.

• Advertisement

I've had cramping and back pain on and off all day today. I'm hoping it's a sign of things kicking off on their own. I've had strong Braxton Hicks since about 27 weeks, but no pain with them. So it's definitely different today.

Tomorrow is my last day in work, but I've cleared my schedule just in case.
    Nesting fully kicking in today, poor hubby has been living furniture for me all evening.

When they say 'loose joints', does that make them a bit achey? Mine are a little sore. I'm just not sure what loose joints feel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Thefasteriwalk: oh I'm so excited to hear if there will be movement. Sounds like your body was ready for it. Hope it works. Rest up!!

Shelli2: Ah things might be starting for you too. Hope you get a few days to enjoy your mat leave though.

I havnt had any Braxton hicks. I wonder is it because it's my first/or maybe I'll be going to my 10days over date.

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Thefasteriwalk: oh I'm so excited to hear if there will be movement. Sounds like your body was ready for it. Hope it works. Rest up!!

Shelli2: Ah things might be starting for you too. Hope you get a few days to enjoy your mat leave though.

I havnt had any Braxton hicks. I wonder is it because it's my first/or maybe I'll be going to my 10days over date.

I don't remember having Braxton Hicks on first at all. I did have a false alarm a week before he was born and spent a night on the pre-labour ward only to be sent home again.
    This time there is no mistaking them, they ate very strong and a little uncomfortable bit zero pain.

I’m on my third pregnancy and I don’t think I’ve ever had braxton hicks. At this stage that’s probably a good thing- my poor heart couldn’t stand a false start lol!
    I was so achy last night I couldn’t sleep and had to take paracetamol. I was getting intermittent pain in my lower back, hips and down the front of my legs... nothing in the belly. I was wondering could it be something but I’m grand today, I think my joints are just juiced at this stage

Whatever was happening yesterday has stopped, so looks like I'll be waiting for induction after all.

On the plus side, my out of office message has been turned on and I'm officially on leave and not returning until January 2022. WOO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey everyone, not sure if ive been on here before. im 35 weeks pregnant and finally finished up work and now have time to catch up on things that i haven't had before while working. this is my 2nd pregnancy and will be attending the rotunda. anyone else attending the rotunda at all?

Shelli, I've never heard of loose joints so can't help there. That's great that you're on maternity leave. Enjoy what little time you have.

I don't think I've had Braxton Hicks either, but I'm a first timer so I'm uncertain about many things in this pregnancy.

So I felt lots of little movements and pains on Tuesday and Tuesday night after my sweep. But then things slowed down a lot yesterday. Last night I started my 'show' but my research tells me it could still be a few weeks before I go into active labour. My back pain is coming and going.

The worst part of all this is that I'm resting a lot which is giving me too much time to become anxious about the labour. I don't know what to expect but ideally I just want gas and air - but I seem to be convincing myself that I won't be able to do it.

So, back into the December bunch, induction date not until 4th.
    I'm 37+5 today and she's measuring 9lb5oz, unfortunately her head is not down far enough to risk the induction earlier, consultant is wary of ending up in emergency section.
    I'm a bit disappointed, I was all hyped up to go this weekend, but Im happy to wait as he says it will be safer. It helps that I'm confident in my consultant, he spent nearly an hour with me today fully considering all my options.
    He gave me a sweep, and advised I sit on my ball as much as possible.

I can only hope she'll make an appearance on her own now.

The worst part of all this is that I'm resting a lot which is giving me too much time to become anxious about the labour. I don't know what to expect but ideally I just want gas and air - but I seem to be convincing myself that I won't be able to do it.

I’m anxious too. I don’t have any advice save to say we’re all in the same boat right now and with the restrictions it’s all a bit rubbish. I’m trying not to think about it and I know we’ll get out the other end eventually.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Shelli, it’s hard thinking the end is in sight and then it’s taken away! Hopefully she will come early by herself

Advertisement