Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what next for the Greens?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does the Greta thread not suffice for telling people who voted Green that we drive our kids to school in Range Rovers and are upper middle class?
    If anything this crisis should be a wake up call to how we are treating the planet, we are likely to see more and more of these problems as we wreak havoc and destruction on the natural world

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/destroyed-habitat-creates-the-perfect-conditions-for-coronavirus-to-emerge/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Green tide has come and gone. Nice fuzzy policies when all is going well but fall back to the level of making daisy chains when push comes to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The Greens are a single issue party. It doesn't make any sense they exist at all on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Too much internal arguing within the party.
    It's like a rainbow coalition in itself.

You’ll see some people resigning fairly soon.

A power grab is coming and Eamon Ryan will be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Darc19 wrote: »

I think a strength and weakness of the Greens is that they're activists rather than politicians.

I'm sure there's a few cuckoo's in their nest, but I don't think they're going to split like a lot of the parties on the left.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think a strength and weakness of the Greens is that they're activists rather than politicians.

I'm sure there's a few cuckoo's in their nest, but I don't think they're going to split like a lot of the parties on the left.

The splitting has already started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

They'll tun into the Reds.

No wait, that's Richard Boyd Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

Darc19 wrote: »

You don't go for a power grab on the back of a very successful election.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Augme wrote: »

The only successful election is one where you end up in government. The greens have a chance but truthfully aren’t capable.
    Eamon is a liability to the party and rarely if ever has anything useful to add to a debate but rather damages their party every time he speaks.

They are a single issue party and that issue will be banished for the foreseeable future as the adults in government work to recover the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

_Brian wrote: »
    The only successful election is one where you end up in government. The greens have a chance but truthfully aren’t capable.
    Eamon is a liability to the party and rarely if ever has anything useful to add to a debate but rather damages their party every time he speaks.

They are a single issue party and that issue will be banished for the foreseeable future as the adults in government work to recover the economy.

Do you actually believe anything that you've just written is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Do you actually believe anything that you've just written is true?

Why wouldn't he? He's right!

The "Green agenda" is a middle class, well-to-do virtue signalling exercise during good times. Even at that they're still a minor party on the edges of Irish politics.

Far more important and urgent things to worry about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’m all about green and climate change( I voted green somewhere in my top 5), but when I heard Eamonn Ryan say that during the lockdown we should allow hardware and garden centers to stay open so everyone can get planting I lost faith (I’m an avid gardener). Seriously? Is that the grand plan for Ireland? We need someone who can think multilaterally

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he? He's right!

The "Green agenda" is a middle class, well-to-do virtue signalling exercise during good times. Even at that they're still a minor party on the edges of Irish politics.

Far more important and urgent things to worry about now.

And Eamon is a liability.

Wolves
    Rural towns carpooling
    Salad
    Painting the back of the house
    Driving a 9 seater diesel alone while banging on about everyone must be on electric.

The guy is at best a third rate councillor, party leader material he never will be.

Eamon is the leader because he’s the only simpleton they could get to do the job when their last leader saw the light of god because he decimated the party last time in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You'd be surprised.

There is a group within that think they should have taken a lot of the youth vote that went to SF and they need to target that segment.

That means forgetting about D4 age 50+ votes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

ongarite wrote: »
    Who is going to want to go into Government with the inevitable massive recession/depression with FF/FG?

Pre-election promises are out the window for all parties.

Well the greens want to shut down the economy with their silly plans so it should suit them fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And the Greens want at least 10 million people living in this country.
    A lot of us do not want that but would have no say in the matter if the Greens ever get into government.
    The fact that we are not densely populated (generally) is saving us the horrific death toll seen in Spain and Italy.

While I understand the Greens and people like Simon Coveney would like to increase the tax base by doubling our population, the ongoing pandemic is one glaring reason why this should not be forced on us.
    And how about giving the people who already live on this Island a say in matters like this .... in the form of a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kivaro wrote: »
    And the Greens want at least 10 million people living in this country

this is part of their policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

this is part of their policy?
    Not official policy as far I know.
    But Eamon Ryan stated it a number of times, which is weird because I do not see how doubling our population would help in sustainability efforts and reduction targets in Ireland's carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aren't FG planning a population of 10m too? AFAIK the reasoning is that they need to plug the pension hole and the way to do that is by even more immigration to generate taxes to fund pensions. Whats the Greens angle on the 10m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

_Brian wrote: »

The Greens have had a string of successful elections at local, national and European level. The only pressure on the Greens right now is how best to use the hugely expanded resources at their disposal.

The "adults" are arguing amongst themselves about who gets to be Taoiseach first while the country effectivly has no government. FF/FG have no vision for this country and were found out at the last election.

Advertisement