Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a mobile phone mount

Options
  • 29-03-2020 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I own a Honda vision, it's dawned on me that having the phone GPS in front of me would be a lot handier than pulling in every so often to check it!

Could anyone recommend a good preferably waterproof phone mount?

Tia!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I cant even read me phone when it 12inches from my face...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The best mount is the RAM X mount but its not waterproof - LIDL had bicycle bar mount with a pouch for the phone and that might do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

All I can day is do NOT buy one from one of those ubiquitous phone accessory shops - I bought one in Dublin last year before a big trip. Then, lone and behold, damn thing snaps in two while I was riding through the arse end of Vietnam. Phone went flying off and was never to be seen again.. (despite me retracing the way I came and looking for it for nearly 2 hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Ram mount hands down, expensive for a phone mount but won't come off and easy to reposition angle of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Look good but have none that'll fit my model of phone

Just bumping this to see people's thoughts

Any dekiveroo or uber eats drivers on here how do you manage your phone on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Sorry for the bump.

What's the verdict overall?

Quadlock or RAM mount?

Thanks
    NBD

Nabidana wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump.

What's the verdict overall?

Quadlock or RAM mount?

Thanks
    NBD

I've yet to find anything suitable for my bike

ram mount, expensive but 100% worth it. I dare ya to try pull the stem mount out from bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

The best mount is the RAM X mount but its not waterproof - LIDL had bicycle bar mount with a pouch for the phone and that might do the trick?

I got one of those cheap pouch-style jobs on ebay or wherever. About €20. Works fine for me, and the fitting is small and neat when the phone is off the bike. Those RAM yokes and similar seem way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bandit_600

RAM Mount,

They are pricy but worth it IMO i'll put it this way I got hit by a jeep and the phone didn't budge

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Cheers guys.

I just watched this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTcxg3Ilhw

This guy says quadlock?

Interesting. I'll have to research more.

Breezin wrote: »
    I got one of those cheap pouch-style jobs on ebay or wherever. About €20. Works fine for me, and the fitting is small and neat when the phone is off the bike. Those RAM yokes and similar seem way overpriced.

Not really when you consider a ram mount won't budge even in an accident unless direct force or impact is applied to it. Those pouch jobs have a nasty habit of taking flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Not really when you consider a ram mount won't budge even in an accident unless direct force or impact is applied to it. Those pouch jobs have a nasty habit of taking flight.

I had a cheapo one for about four years til it just wore out. Did a fine job.
    There's a small D-ring on the back of my cheapo pouch one. For safety, I put a carabiner lock on it and slotted it around the handlebar, so if the case ever came loose, it'd not fall off.

Frankly, if I'm in an accident, I've bigger problems than a missing phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Mjolnir wrote: »

I've found it pretty solid. The main risk I think is not being careful to make sure it's fully snapped on. I've caught myself doing that a couple of times, but no harm done.

Advertisement