Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate moved out during lockdown

Options
  • 29-03-2020 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just before the new restrictions were announced on Friday night one of my housemates told the rest of us that he was moving out. He has paid rent for next month. I'm assuming this lockdown will last longer than the 2weeks we've been told, so it will be unlikely enough that we'll get anyone to replace him while this lasts. So will the rest of us be expected to cover his rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If it is a shared lease then it probably has a clause which makes you joined and severely liable for payment of rent. In other words, the rent in full will have to be paid by remaining tenants. Your flat mate needs to assign lease as soon as possible to limit what you will owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

Dav010 wrote: »
    If it is a shared lease then it probably has a clause which makes you joined and severely liable for payment of rent. In other words, the rent in full will have to be paid by remaining tenants. Your flat mate needs to assign lease as soon as possible to limit what you will owe.

Thanks.That's what we thought but we won't be able to afford paying his share too. Fingers crossed we'll get someone else in somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its an ill wind etc and not saying it is right but I know one couple who have signed up on a two bed to lease after giving notice on the one bed they are in. Just a 100 extra in the rent and they are going to let the second room to a pal.

Advertisement