Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housemate and notes

• 29-03-2020 8:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I share with a few more people, one of them has taken to putting up passive aggressive notes about our lack of cleaning.

I am very stressed out with this pandemic and I know the importance of cleaning. This housemate uses the same rag to wipe down the kitchen counter. They're only using a dirty rag over and over, that's not clean. I spray surfaces and use kitchen paper to wipe surfaces and throw it away.

It's the passive aggressive notes that I don't like. They're giving out about our lack of cleaning and they are bringing friends over, obviously trusting them but they can't see into their respiratory tract and see if they have the virus in them, but that seems to be ok to them.

What do I say about these notes, it's not fair or nice and especially since they use dirty rags and have no problem bringing over friends.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Could you have a talk between all housemates and come up with a rota or system that you can all agree on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

nastynotes wrote:
    It's the passive aggressive notes that I don't like. They're giving out about our lack of cleaning and they are bringing friends over, obviously trusting them but they can't see into their respiratory tract and see if they have the virus in them, but that seems to be ok to them.

Cleaning aside they're not allowed to have friends over anymore, no households allowed to mix with each other as per Friday's announcement.

Throw away the dirty rag, talk to the housemate concerned and explain what you do to keep the place clean and agree among yourselves who is responsible for what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Cleaning aside they're not allowed to have friends over anymore, no households allowed to mix with each other as per Friday's announcement.

Throw away the dirty rag, talk to the housemate concerned and explain what you do to keep the place clean and agree among yourselves who is responsible for what.

Absolutely agree with this. The first sentence is the most important one. Put the dirty cloth in the outside bin, and do as you've been doing. Wipe with kitchen roll and spray or else bleach the cloths in boiling water every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Have a word with the LL about people calling over and if that fails try the Guards.

People being slobs is another thing, I'd stop cleaning up after them if it were me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Have a word with the LL about people calling over and if that fails try the Guards.

People being slobs is another thing, I'd stop cleaning up after them if it were me.

No, no, no! In normal circumstances, I would absolutely agree with you. But with the current circumstances, the OP cannot afford to have the place dirty!

But I would definitely speak to the LL first. If they are not interested, the next call would be to the Gards, to have the 'guests' removed...

• Advertisement

No, no, no! In normal circumstances, I would absolutely agree with you. But with the current circumstances, the OP cannot afford to have the place dirty!

But I would definitely speak to the LL first. If they are not interested, the next call would be to the Gards, to have the 'guests' removed...

I'd still disinfect work tops but I'd leave dirty rags where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I'd still disinfect work tops but I'd leave dirty rags where they are.

Surely that defeats the purpose of disinfecting the worktops?! Bin dirty rags, or at the very least boil wash them. Gross.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Surely that defeats the purpose of disinfecting the worktops?! Bin dirty rags, or at the very least boil wash them. Gross.

Yeah you're actually right, don't mind me, long day :D

But yeah disinfect best you can and I guess just bin the rags as you go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yeah you're actually right, don't mind me, long day :D

But yeah disinfect best you can and I guess just bin the rags as you go along.

Everyone is very stressed. Put the cloths in the sink and pour a kettle of boiling water over them and leave them to soak. That will kill anything and get over the issue of your flatmate not gaving the money to buy kitchen roll or wanting to queue for tissues in the supermarkets. Its a high stress time and no doubt everyone thinks their way is the best way. At least they are concerned - maybe they are using notes as you are on different timetables or because they don’t want to come close and/or have an argument & think notes are a better way to go - clear/quick and concise.!? Maybe give the benefit!! You may need them to feed you tinned soup or slide easi singles under your door for 14 days if you get it and they don’t!

Everyone is very stressed. Put the cloths in the sink and pour a kettle of boiling water over them and leave them to soak. That will kill anything and get over the issue of your flatmate not gaving the money to buy kitchen roll or wanting to queue for tissues in the supermarkets. Its a high stress time and no doubt everyone thinks their way is the best way. At least they are concerned - maybe they are using notes as you are on different timetables or because they don’t want to come close and/or have an argument & think notes are a better way to go - clear/quick and concise.!? Maybe give the benefit!! You may need them to feed you tinned soup or slide easi singles under your door for 14 days if you get it and they don’t!

Yeah this is pretty important, you want to try and keep on your housemates best side in case this actually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here. I took the notes down. They were horrible and binned their nasty rag.

My biggest issue is they thought the rest of us are dirty and need notes. I have seen them come out of their bedroom and into the kitchen, they won't even wash their hands in the kitchen (they don't have an en-suite in their room)... This is disgusting, a fully grown man who won't even wash his hands. The virus can be brought into the house on clothes. I've seen them come home from work and change, come out of their room and they won't wash their hands. How do I ask someone to wash their hands, basic hygiene?

Same issue with their friends. They are still continuing to bring friends over. They give out about not wanting to work because of people (which is fair enough). But then somehow their friend is immune from this.

As for getting them to prepare my food if I'm sick... Not with dirty hands.

Advertisement