Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter in tolka valley

Options
  • 29-03-2020 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

With the restrictions, I've gotten to know the local tolka valley park a bit better.

It's really beautiful, lovely walks, nice manicured lawn sections and slighter wilder more natural woodland paths.

The only thing is the litter, it's very bad.
    I've lived in a few places in dublin but never saw litter like this.

The park in sandyford, bushy park, Phoenix park, memorial park etc etc, all don't suffer rubbish.

Is the litter due to less council resources to keep tolka valley clean or are there similar council litter resources everywhere and there just a bigger problem with people thowwing litter up this part of dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The Tolka Valley “Park”, has long been neglected and underused as a recreational area for many year and is mostly associated with anti social behaviour and usually thought of as a place to avoid.
    It’s sad that Fingal County Council have effectively turned their back on what is a jewel of a natural wildlife habitat in the centre of a major urban area, when one compares the resources ploughed into the more recent St Catherine’s Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Tolka Valley “Park”, has long been neglected and underused as a recreational area for many year and is mostly associated with anti social behaviour and usually thought of as a place to avoid.
    It’s sad that Fingal County Council have effectively turned their back on what is a jewel of a natural wildlife habitat in the centre of a major urban area, when one compares the resources ploughed into the more recent St Catherine’s Park.

is it fingal or DCC? Ashtown, Rathbourne etc are definately DCC, but i know its all right on the boarder.

Update, based on the DCC maps, its well within DCC coverage:

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//WaterWasteEnvironment/PublishingImages/Dublin_City.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    is it fingal or DCC? Ashtown, Rathbourne etc are definately DCC, but i know its all right on the boarder.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//WaterWasteEnvironment/PublishingImages/Dublin_City.jpg

Its definitely D.C.C

Kylta wrote: »
    Its definitely D.C.C
    Ah, I see we’re referring to different sections of the Tolka Valley Park.
    I was referring to the section which runs from the bridge at Mulhuddart to the Snugborough Rd. Which is under the remit of Fingal County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Ah, I see we’re referring to different sections of the Tolka Valley Park.
    I was referring to the section which runs from the bridge at Mulhuddart to the Snugborough Rd. Which is under the remit of Fingal County Council.

I thought you were referring to tolka valley park and the scribblestown park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's such a shame about this section. Fly tipping is a big issue as is groups of people having drinking parties and leaving their cans/bottles/rubbish behind.

I know the local community group clean it up periodically but within a day or two it's full of rubbish again. The selfishness of some people is so annoying.

Kylta wrote: »
    I thought you were referring to tolka valley park and the scribblestown park
    You never mentioned Scribblestown in your original post. :)
    The Tolka Valley Park, extends from west of Mulhuddart to The Finglas Road R135 in Dublin 11.
    Why don’t you contact your local Dublin City Councillor to ask the relevant Parks Dept officials what schedule is in place for litter collections and maintenance in that section of the park?
    Always a good idea to enclosed photos of the litter etc in your email.
    It’s a lovely section of the park and should be better maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

The Tolka bursting it's banks along there not helping either. These pics remind me of something from Chernobyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

raheny red wrote: »
    The Tolka bursting it's banks along there not helping either. These pics remind me of something from Chernobyl.

Where exactly are those raised sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

donaghs wrote: »
    Where exactly are those raised sections?

It's a pathway. They used to be railway sleepers but when they began to rot, they replaced them with metal sheets that are there now.

Edit - you said where nor what. Sorry! They're at the end of the park at Blanchardstown Road North. The dotted line that splits the park from east to west if you look at Google Maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's all the scrotes sitting at the picnic tables, having a few cans, bit of food and then not bringing the rubbish with them. Some bins might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

VonLuck wrote: »
    It's all the scrotes sitting at the picnic tables, having a few cans, bit of food and then not bringing the rubbish with them. Some bins might help.

I understand. They did have bins, but they were all set alight and just not replaced, the thought process being why bother of they will just be burned again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I understand. They did have bins, but they were all set alight and just not replaced, the thought process being why bother of they will just be burned again

I think the only solution is a change in attitude of the locals, which I can't imagine happening anytime soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We've been walking around that park and nearby area quite a bit too recently and the rubbish not only in the park but in all of the trees and bushes alongside the N3 is a disgrace, it is very bad. Not something you'd notice as much when driving by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

miamee wrote: »
    We've been walking around that park and nearby area quite a bit too recently and the rubbish not only in the park but in all of the trees and bushes alongside the N3 is a disgrace, it is very bad. Not something you'd notice as much when driving by.

As a direct result of all the vermin living in the area.....of the 4 legged variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I was out running in the park at 8am this morning and an older gentleman was picking up litter. He had multiple bags and one of those litter pickers. Fair play to him. It was in part for the park up my the royal canal development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

The stench of sewage coming out of here this morning. I don't usually mind bad smells but this is potent!

Advertisement