Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countries returning faulty masks from China

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And Spain has returned a good deal of faulty virus test kits back to the Chinese.
    It is ironic that China is going to make a fortune from this pandemic.
    France just ordered a billion face masks from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We and other countries should learn from this and start making our own....

Easily done and could use plastic that needs to be recycled instead of it ending up in countries that can't do anything with it other then dump it in the sea.....

I actually can't understand it all how reliant they are on such a corrupt country such as China.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kivaro wrote: »
    It is ironic that China is going to make a fortune from this pandemic.
    It's damned near criminal and one thing we should take from this when the dust settles is to bring more manufacturing closer to home and hit them hard in the pocket until they clean house. Even then nowhere should be reliant on one "factory", no matter how big.
    I actually can't understand it all how reliant they are on such a corrupt country such as China.
    China had a young population of cheap complaint and fairly well educated labour and western multinationals took full advantage of that and consumers were only to happy to buy their lower priced stuff on a rolling basis. The same companies would have run to North Korea if the price and production targets could be met. Not just companies, but governments too. And here we are. Reliant on overpriced medical supplies to fight a pandemic from the very country that caused this particular pandemic because of medieval animal husbandry practices.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I do hope that we learn from this pandemic.
    This will not be the last pandemic that the country will see in the coming years, so let's make Ireland self-sufficient and capable of handling the next crisis (pandemic or economical). We have arable lands and an intelligent work-force, so let us be the deciders of our own fate.
    Building the infrastructure for self-sufficiency will also employ a lot of workers after the dust settles from Covid-19.

I would actually applaud the Irish government if they started this and I'd happily pay a little extra in USC for it to happen.

Create more jobs at home too.

• Advertisement

Actually another thing.... How do we know this new equipment if virus free and safe to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Actually another thing.... How do we know this new equipment if virus free and safe to use?

Well I suppose that the conspiracy theorists might suggest that the last thing put on the plane might be a few squirts of virus in order to keep it spreading and keep demand up.

(I would imagine though they can just warehouse them for a few days....if they can afford to do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

If they haven't been checked in China I hope they are checked here before being given to Health Care Workers.

It will be interesting to see if this is brought up by Journalists on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one tell Paddy Cosgrave he'll be very annoyed.

As I said on another thread - it's time for the world to stop outsourcing the world to China.

There are fundamental strategic weaknesses developing in the west, be it infrastructure capacity, PPE or 5G which has seen us become potentially enslaved to use a dramatic term.

Well I suppose that the conspiracy theorists might suggest that the last thing put on the plane might be a few squirts of virus in order to keep it spreading and keep demand up.

(I would imagine though they can just warehouse them for a few days....if they can afford to do that)

How, they need it straight from the plane, as in they need it distributed the minute it lands, they are near ran out.

• Advertisement

How, they need it straight from the plane, as in they need it distributed the minute it lands, they are near ran out.

It will need to be checked if it hasn't been. Otherwise it will lead to even worse problems in the Hospitals.

Paul Reid on Rte News now giving a briefing from City West. He gave credit to Alibaba. I presume the Chinese Ambassador contacted Alibaba to arrange the shipment.

I'm not sure how The Netherlands sourced their masks. Maybe they didn't go through Chinese Government. Apparently Spain didn't source them through Chinese Gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

you'd think they use Germicidal UV-C light for what they get from offshore …

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

China providing the disease and the 'cure'.

Makes me sick. All the cover ups and lies. Still lying with their fake death toll that is actually five times higher.

When the dust settles, the international community really needs to divest from China and return manufacturing back. Especially of critical equipment.

If consumers have to pay a bit more for products (better made) then so be it. It's a smaller price to pay than another global meltdown due to China's poor food hygiene, menu choices and a communist government that lies every time their lips move.

And I say this not against Chinese people, but their odious government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's damned near criminal and one thing we should take from this when the dust settles is to bring more manufacturing closer to home and hit them hard in the pocket until they clean house. Even then nowhere should be reliant on one "factory", no matter how big.

China had a young population of cheap complaint and fairly well educated labour and western multinationals took full advantage of that and consumers were only to happy to buy their lower priced stuff on a rolling basis. The same companies would have run to North Korea if the price and production targets could be met. Not just companies, but governments too. And here we are. Reliant on overpriced medical supplies to fight a pandemic from the very country that caused this particular pandemic because of medieval animal husbandry practices.

Well said Wibbs, when this settles definitely we should be manufacturing at home. Half the stuff we get from China we don’t need or else breaks easily. I think faith in Chinese goods is now seriously undermined by people who could not see this before.

Paul Reid says Masks from China are to the WHO spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The WHO are puppets on a string to the CCP. Question authority and think for yourself. Look for the truth rather than what you are fed by the government's of the World. The power of the internet makes it easier than it's ever been

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The WHO are puppets on a string to the CCP. Question authority and think for yourself. Look for the truth rather than what you are fed by the government's of the World. The power of the internet makes it easier than it's ever been

Not really, the power of the internet has left people unable to understand "Stay at home" unless you need to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Chinese company ≠ China

Spain definitely bought from an unlicensed company, don't know about the rest of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ther is a lot of online criticism of WHO and Director Tedros Adhanom -

Firstly being slow to act early February , saying nothing to worry about in China and no fear of a global pandemic - how wrong was that.
    Secondly, praising the China response, which admitdly was good after Jan 27, but ther was an initial cover up in the December/early January , Dr Li being silenced , and then WHO came out and praised the overall China's response.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well if some of you are so determined to turn this into a China-bashing thread maybe you can look elsewhere for such a "debate"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Re-opened at OP request following concerns raised about some of the equipment supplied to Ireland. Please heed my above warning about making this into a general China bashing thread - keep to the topic

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I hope the standards of production are better then these from where our PPE is coming from:eek:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kmgyo_1585580537

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=j9ZW_1585801833

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chinese company ≠ China
    This. Plus the Chinese government know they're already in the dock for their early handling of it, their economy was in trouble before all this and this has hit them hard, so they simply can't afford any new scandals.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭skellig_rocks

China Resources supplied the PPE, according to this picture posted by HSE:

?width=630&version=5060859

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Resources
    China Resources (Chinese: 华润) is a Chinese state-owned conglomerate that owns a variety of businesses in Hong Kong and Mainland China.

According to Fortune Magazine, China Resources was ranked 80th on the 2019 Fortune Global 500 list, improved 63 places since 2014.

This is the website of their pharmaceuticals division:
    http://en.crc.com.cn/whatwedo/pharmaceuticals/

I don't think this company is an unlicenced company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

The power of the Internet also makes it easier to find utter BS masquerading as hard fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

....... and I'd happily pay a little extra in USC for it to happen.

Create more jobs at home too.

Unfortunately most people wouldn't. In the last election only the Social Democrats and (I think?) Labour weren't promising tax cuts of various levels of generosity.

Look how that worked out for them.

Can people keep on topic or the Mod could close this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This is terrible bad news it true. Some of the best products in the world come from China but also some of the worst crap you could imagine. I'm guessing the contract for this PPE comes with a certain understanding they must be up to a certain standard or else they'll be shipped back. Now is not the time for our health care workers having to worry about the quality of the gear they use on a daily basis.

Advertisement