Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep FG in power

Options
  • 29-03-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there already is a thread for this. But we need FG to stay in power. The thoughts of a range of medical experts sitting down trying to explain something to the Shinners. Let alone trying to figure out complex logisitical arrangements and negotiate with other countries to get help!!

It is impractical to have another election. So what do we do? Ask anyone who protested voted and voted SF to write to Mary Lou and say to back off.

I don't care if FG have the same ideology as FF. They have a track record of dealing with a crisis - IMF and massive unemployment. Yeah there was a rent crisis before the election but now with economic collapse after this thing it will go away and we will back to unemployment. So I don't want some populist crap making it even worse.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

loved you in Shawshank

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Problem is FG need FF and a boost from independent group to set up so there will be squabbles no matter what happens I think the austerity we are now facing on a global scale when the dust settles from this crisis is not the sort of state of affairs FG and FF are capable of handling they will destroy rather than restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

How can you be so obtuse?

You will do exactly as the shinners say or you will do the hardest quarantine there is. No more protection from the guards, They'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been ****ed by a train!
    And your job, gone...sealed off, brick-by-brick. We'll have us a little book barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?

Take another month in quarantine to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

I find it frightening how willing FG supporters are willing to ignore democracy. FG are only the third largest party based on both seats and popular votes.
    It's interesting how rent freezes were deemed to be unconstitutional by FG & FF during the election but all of a sudden they applied a 3 month rent freeze without a referendum. They're either ignoring our constitution or they're full of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts -Yes

Keep FG in power- No

• Advertisement

How can you be so obtuse?

You will do exactly as the shinners say or you will do the hardest quarantine there is. No more protection from the guards, They'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been ****ed by a train!
    And your job, gone...sealed off, brick-by-brick. We'll have us a little book barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?

Take another month in quarantine to think about it.

are those are the demented ramblings of someone stuck in the house too long? quite poetic

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

I think FG are doing a great job but at the same time it would be wrong to ignore the major shift in political support revealed by the general election. I think both FF and SF deserve recognition for putting party politics aside and supporting FG as a caretaker government. I'd like to see some kind of unity government for a year or so and then a new election. We still have the same problems we did before and we will have more. On the other hand, FG will probably get a big boost from this so would another election be properly representative of how the country feels about issues beyond the pandemic? It really is an unprecedented conundrum.

jd1983 wrote: »
    I find it frightening how willing FG supporters are willing to ignore democracy. FG are only the third largest party based on both seats and popular votes.
    It's interesting how rent freezes were deemed to be unconstitutional by FG & FF during the election but all of a sudden they applied a 3 month rent freeze without a referendum. They're either ignoring our constitution or they're full of sh1t.
    why dont SF form a government and save us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

There isn't a snowball chance in hell of SF in government anytime soon.

They are terrified of taking over during a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Not sure if there already is a thread for this. But we need FG to stay in power. The thoughts of a range of medical experts sitting down trying to explain something to the Shinners. Let alone trying to figure out complex logisitical arrangements and negotiate with other countries to get help!!

It is impractical to have another election. So what do we do? Ask anyone who protested voted and voted SF to write to Mary Lou and say to back off.

I don't care if FG have the same ideology as FF. They have a track record of dealing with a crisis - IMF and massive unemployment. Yeah there was a rent crisis before the election but now with economic collapse after this thing it will go away and we will back to unemployment. So I don't want some populist crap making it even worse.

I absolutely agree, the two parties that have destroyed this country over the last 20 years should continue with their great work.
    Anyway SF are in hiding as no-one wants to be the helm with whats coming at us.
    The "confidence and supply" be with us for 5 years.
    After this time i expect FF and FG to algamate to one party.
    I expect what happened in last election only the beginning of new political thinking.

• Advertisement

The relentless SF bashing is bordering on childish. Bridge the political divide and work together for the greater good. Wasted energy dragging political allegiance into a national crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

are those are the demented ramblings of someone stuck in the house too long? quite poetic

Check out the Shawshank redemptions. The OP starred in it. All in good jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any thoughts?

Have never voted FG and never ever intend to.

But your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No other party wants to play with them. Other than maybe PBP/Solidarity/RISE (before they split further)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

After so much discussion on this topic, you really don't know the answer to that? Did you fail primary school maths or do you just have no clue about the constitution...and are happy for everyone to know it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Because they don't have enough seats to do so. Can't you count?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I voted FG, Labour, Green and then a few of the loonies and then FF.
    After the election, I said ok time for SF and / or FF to lead a governement and it won't last 12 months and there will be another election. It might even be entertaining watching SF having to defend decisions instead of just complaining all the time.

Now, I am saying, scrap that.

We need FG to stay in power for minimum 12 months. The only way I can see this is for FF and FG to form a coalition with backing from Labour and a few independent with the agreement that FG start in government for first 12 months and then it is rotated to FF.

There isn't a snowball chance in hell of SF in government anytime soon.

They are terrified of taking over during a crisis.

How many options to form a government have they had since the election? Please list.

The relentless SF bashing is bordering on childish. Bridge the political divide and work together for the greater good. Wasted energy dragging political allegiance into a national crisis.

It's beyond childish...it's moronic..or extremely deceitful - castigating SF for not doing something they have no power to do, and hoping that the audience isn't informed enough to cop on to the spin. This is so widespread and perisistent now that I have no doubt that it emanates from Upper Mount Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

SF would know a few with logistics expertise

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    After so much discussion on this topic, you really don't know the answer to that? Did you fail primary school maths or do you just have no clue about the constitution...and as happy for everyone to know it?

Oh I'm aware of that yes. Just checking if others are aware because people seem to be under the illusion they have a cast iron mandate for government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Another nonsense thread suggesting the use of Covid for political gain.

Oh I'm aware of that yes. Just checking if others are aware because people seem to be under the illusion they have a cast iron mandate for government.

Ah...I get you now. I plead Poe's Law. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The wife is a Nurse, they have almost no PPE. Leo gave a great speech about testing then failed to follow through. HSE only ordered adequate PPE a week ago.

If you sit at home and watch the RTÉ spin then maybe you think FG have a grip on this crisis, I’ve spoken to no one on the front line who says it’s anything other than its a disaster. FG lobbies to keep visits to nursing homes open against CMO advice, that’s where most of our deaths have come from.

Not a SF voter but, pulling on the green jersey and saying we’re doing grand is a repeat of the 2008 central bankers saying banks are well capitalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fg and Ff will end up forming a coalition and get battered due to the oncoming recession.

They will be so hated that Sf will end up winning a majority in a few years and forming their own government. This is my predicition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Mary Lou is bad at maths so.

She was trying to form a government a few weeks ago.

Or she was conning us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Valhallapt wrote: »
    The wife is a Nurse, they have almost no PPE. Leo gave a great speech about testing then failed to follow through. HSE only ordered adequate PPE a week ago.

If you sit at home and watch the RTÉ spin then maybe you think FG have a grip on this crisis, I’ve spoken to no one on the front line who says it’s anything other than its a disaster. FG lobbies to keep visits to nursing homes open against CMO advice, that’s where most of our deaths have come from.

Not a SF voter but, pulling on the green jersey and saying we’re doing grand is a repeat of the 2008 central bankers saying banks are well capitalised.

Every country is short PPE.

We got a huge shipment in today.

You're not up to date even though your wife's a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

This shows a complete lack of knowledge of politics and the recent election. SF don't have an overall majority and the next two largest parties (based on popular vote) are saying they won't go into government with SF.
    My preference would be a national government for the next year. We only have to look across the water to see how dangerous having a party with a large overall majority is during such a crisis. At the moment, FG know that legislation won't have a chance of passing if that legislation follows FG's true interests (I.e. corporations and big business). If this happened between 2011 and 2016 we would be truly fu(ked at the moment!

Mary Lou is bad at maths so.

She was trying to form a government a few weeks ago.

Or she was conning us all.

If you'd actually read the news and analysis around that time instead of FG propaganda pieces, you'd know the answer to this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

storker wrote: »
    It's beyond childish...it's moronic..or extremely deceitful - castigating SF for not doing something they have no power to do, and hoping that the audience isn't informed enough to cop on to the spin. This is so widespread and perisistent now that I have no doubt that it emanates from Upper Mount Street.

It 100% does. Same accounts posting literally all day and only appearing in threads to castigate SF and often using the same script.
    Bizarre it’s allowed to go unchecked by the site runners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement