Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning freeview hd tv to saorview

• 29-03-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, i am being driven demented trying to tune a freeview tv to receive saorview. I recently bought a small 24" jvc smart tv with freeview. I know freeview is a uk based free tv set up and wont puck up saorview .
    I picked up a one for all amplufied indoor aerial (i checked distance to local mast so have the correct aerial)
    I assume i try to tune saorview using "analogue" but what are the
    BAND,
    TV SYSTEM,
    CHANNEL,
    FREQUENCY
    settings for all the above, any advicd is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

Lee1010 wrote: »
    Hi, i am being driven demented trying to tune a freeview tv to receive saorview. I recently bought a small 24" jvc smart tv with freeview. I know freeview is a uk based free tv set up and wont puck up saorview .
    I picked up a one for all amplufied indoor aerial (i checked distance to local mast so have the correct aerial)
    BAND,
    TV SYSTEM,
    CHANNEL,
    FREQUENCY

Saorview is digital, do an automatic scan on digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

decor58 wrote: »
    Saorview is digital, do an automatic scan on digital.

Like the above poster says select digital and away you go. Wouldn't place s lot of faith in a one4all aerial mind. In normal times I'd advise to tune it at a friends who has a aerial set on the signal. Much easier then to nail down the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lee1010

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Like the above poster says select digital and away you go. Wouldn't place s lot of faith in a one4all aerial mind. In normal times I'd advise to tune it at a friends who has a aerial set on the signal. Much easier then to nail down the signal.

Thanks for replying, i Just did a full scan and it went through all the UHF frequencies and nothing at all, this tv thing has me driven insane......would take it back and get a saorview tv but tv out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I would look at replacing the aerial first with an attic or external aerial.

Is there an Ireland option in the menu on setup?

The Cush wrote: »
    I would look at replacing the aerial first with an attic or external aerial.

Is there an Ireland option in the menu on setup?

Yes there is a list of countries listed but doesnt seem to make any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Assume your pointing the antenna in the mast direction?

Saorview channels might be stored up in 800s on a Freeview TV.

As others said, UHF & digital are the parameters to set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... i Just did a full scan and it went through all the UHF frequencies and nothing at all, this tv thing has me driven insane......would take it back and get a saorview tv but tv out of the box

Can you find the manual scan menu & try the likely frequencies? Hopefully this will bring up a signal strength/quality display & you can use this to help with aerial positioning: in or near a window facing the transmitter would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry to hijack.. but I have a Saorview Ariel in Attic from previous renter.

My TV is old and would not have a ‘built in’ feature for Saorview. What do I need to get TV to receive Saorview... ?.

Or is it just a case of plugging in the Ariel into back of TV??

Masala wrote: »
    ... My TV is old and would not have a ‘built in’ feature for Saorview. What do I need to get TV to receive Saorview... ?.

How 'old' is the TV, or what's the make/model?

Sorry to hijack.. but I have a Saorview Ariel in Attic from previous renter.

My TV is old and would not have a ‘built in’ feature for Saorview. What do I need to get TV to receive Saorview... ?.

If your TV does not have a Saorview tuner you will need a box of some sort, connect the box to your tv and the aerial into it. What is the make and model number of tv.

• Advertisement

decor58 wrote: »
    If your TV does not have a Saorview tuner you will need a box of some sort, connect the box to your tv and the aerial into it. What is the make and model number of tv.

Hope this works...

BUSH LED22982DVDFH DS
    Around 10 yr old.....

Any recommendation on an online box to get?? I presume all electrical shops locked down now!!

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Assume your pointing the antenna in the mast direction?

Saorview channels might be stored up in 800s on a Freeview TV.

As others said, UHF & digital are the parameters to set.

Tried pointing it in all directions and changed channels etc and bars didnt move.....tv is a JVC LT-24C690.....If that is useful in any way
    Looks like tv will be goung back and will just say to them its faulty and hope for refund/ change to saorview tv

Tried pointing it in all directions and changed channels etc and bars didnt move.....tv is a JVC LT-24C690.....If that is useful in any way
    Looks like tv will be goung back and will just say to them its faulty and hope for refund/ change to saorview tv

Which transmitter are you trying to pick up? Where approx. are you located?

It's almost certainly the aerial's fault, not the TV.

BUSH LED22982DVDFH DS
    Around 10 yr old.....

Any recommendation on an online box to get?? I presume all electrical shops locked down now!!

Did you try tuning in Saorview on the TV? The version they were selling mid-2012 worked IIRC.

Any of them should probably at least get radio, & the TV channel audio.

BUSH LED22982DVDFH DS
    Around 10 yr old.....

Cracking little box. Especially if you are in an area where you can also pick up the UK signal.

Thanks for replying, i Just did a full scan and it went through all the UHF frequencies and nothing at all, this tv thing has me driven insane......would take it back and get a saorview tv but tv out of the box

Is the TV FreeviewHD that's mportant for picking up saorview. Could you get a neighbour or friend to tune it. Leave it outside their door and collect it again. If you had it tuned would be easier to search for a signal.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Is the TV FreeviewHD that's mportant for picking up saorview. Could you get a neighbour or friend to tune it. Leave it outside their door and collect it again. If you had it tuned would be easier to search for a signal.

Yes its freeview HD.......i'll try moving tv to a different part of the house later to see if it pucks anything up......sorry for all the questions bur tv relat2d matter beffle the lufe out of me

Which transmitter are you trying to pick up? Where approx. are you located?

It's almost certainly the aerial's fault, not the TV.

Teansmittod is in crosshaven, cork and we are in carrigaline, cork so we are very close......looks like aerial will be returned too, thanks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Locate the aerial upstairs (if possible) and put it on the external ledge of a window facing the mast direction (for initial testing). Buildings that are well insulated are poor regarding signal reception indoors.

Having said that, those amplified indoor aerials are poor enough anyway, a proper compact external aerial would be a lot better even if only temporarily located to get sufficient signal provided the transmitter is reasonably close (<30 miles)

• Advertisement

(Transmitter) is in crosshaven, cork and we are in carrigaline, cork so we are very close......looks like aerial will be returned too,

Yes, use of a set-top aerial is the problem, not the TV.

You're fairly close to the Crosshaven transmitter, but it's not exactly high powered. If you have the TV in a west or northwest facing room, you could try Spur Hill (chs. 39 & 45) or even Mullaghanish (chs. 21 & 24).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

BAND,
    TV SYSTEM,
    CHANNEL,
    FREQUENCY

What is the model of the tv? Does the box mention that it receives HD channels? Some 'Freeview' TVs do not have the required tuner for Freeview HD channels. If the TV cannot receive the HD channels you won't get Saorview channels on it.

Having said that the vast majority of TVs sold in the last few years should pick up the Saorview channels no problem so I would also suspect an aerial issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

The Bush tv is only Freeview tuner so will not pick up Saorview pictures just audio.

The JVC is Freeview HD tuner so will be fine. Just needs an aerial in the right place.

There were 'Freeview' TVs that didn't do DVB-T2 for Freeview HD, but would decode the MPEG4 video profile used by Saorview.

Don't know if there are still non-T2 TVs out there, but I can't see there being any non-MPEG4, Saorview approved or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Antenna

Yes, use of a set-top aerial is the problem, not the TV.

You're fairly close to the Crosshaven transmitter, but it's not exactly high powered. If you have the TV in a west or northwest facing room, you could try Spur Hill (chs. 39 & 45) or even Mullaghanish (chs. 21 & 24).

Southside of that town try Mullaghanish (not Spur Hill as it is directional and doesn't through much signal in that direction), other areas of the town Crosshaven.

Try putting the one-for-all set-top aerial on its side (so that the UHF loop on it is twisted 90 degrees in the vertical plane) if trying Crosshaven as it is vertical polarised (those one-for-all set-top aerials are for horizontal polarization with normal placement).

In both cases the loop should be broadside to the transmitter

Why are you so focused on the TV when your using a cheap little antenna?

When are you based and what's the distance from the transmitter? You might get lucky with a small aerial if it's on the attic but that's about it.

As has been said, your aerial appears to be the problem, that tv will do both freeview and Saorview, no point in changing the TV.

Advertisement