Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company is staying open to make money under the guise of essential

• 29-03-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Any one know of company’s/factories staying open that should have closed Under the guise of essential just in order to make money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

I heard that there is a Fat F**k up in Lapland who is taking advantage of job scarcity by treating his workers like slaves . Has ramped up his production and is on the hunt for loads of Reindeers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtyHarry88

O'Mahonys are still accepting orders and are opening tomorrow to ship them. That's in breach of the HSE and Government regulations. They are not an essential service.

As per message on their Facebook page.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

O'Mahonys are still accepting orders and are opening tomorrow to ship them. That's in breach of the HSE and Government regulations. They are not an essential service.

As per message on their Facebook page.

Every business is allowed to open tomorrow to get things ready for the shut down. Factories for example will have the opportunity to shut things down and O'Mahoneys in this case are clearing their backlog. The Guards won't be looking for the exemption letters until 9pm tomorrow.

So your incorrect, it's not against the regulations.

Every business is allowed to open tomorrow to get things ready for the shut down. Factories for example will have the opportunity to shut things down and O'Mahoneys in this case are clearing their backlog. The Guards won't be looking for the exemption letters until 9pm tomorrow.

t
    I

Books are not a necessity, Easons and the likes of Smyths Toys and other retail outlets have suspended operations as of midnight Friday. It might not technically be in breach of you are correct but it shows complete disregard for the health and safety of their staff who have to process those orders.

And they posted on their Facebook page that they are still taking new orders today to post tomorrow. That's not clearing a backlog, that is pure greed. Shame on them.

t
    I

Books are not a necessity, Easons and the likes of Smyths Toys and other retail outlets have suspended operations as of midnight Friday. It might not technically be in breach of you are correct but it shows complete disregard for the health and safety of their staff who have to process those orders.

And they posted on their Facebook page that they are still taking new orders today to post tomorrow. That's not clearing a backlog, that is pure greed. Shame on them.

How are they showing disregard for the health of their employees? You have absolutely no idea of the precautions they are taking. You seem to be getting angry for the sake of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Came across a very interesting letter from a medical device company based in Clare.

This company produce orthopaedic implants, but are claiming they are essential to the local & international healthcare system. The implants they produce are used in elective procedures.

Absolutely ridiculous situation, bringing people from all over Clare, Limerick, Tipperary & Kerry to the factory to produce a product that is only going to fill a warehouse until the pandemic is over.

Also one of their competitors has pretty much closed due to Covid19 so looks even worse, pure profiteering

How are they showing disregard for the health of their employees? You have absolutely no idea of the precautions they are taking. You seem to be getting angry for the sake of it

I do actually.

You don't.

They don't give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I do actually.

You don't.

They don't give a damn.

Go on so, what precautions are they taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There's nothing worse than online "police"

Frankly I think this "oh my God, look what they are doing" shaming on social media is a disgusting trait that some people suffer from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Also one of their competitors has pretty much closed due to Covid19 so looks even worse, pure profiteering

Where's the "profiteering"

Have they increased prices?

I doubt it, hence no profiteering.

Social media "shame policing" by those who know nothing.

BTW, it may come as a big big surprise, but there is still surgery going on. People are still having operations. Also some medical device facilities have been repurposed leaving gaps in certain areas.

But sure the social media police have an inability to think that way

• Advertisement

Go on so, what precautions are they taking?

They are flouting the order that non-essential retail should close effective midnight Friday last.

They are also making a mockery of the following:

"There will be a grace period until 6pm on Monday 30 March for people who need to make necessary arrangements to wind down their activities in an orderly way"

They continued to take orders all weekend and told customers that they will process them Monday. There was no need for this. It is pure greed and taking advantage of the situation to make money.

You don't continue as normal up until the last minute and pretend that it is winding down in an orderly way.

By doing this, they are putting profits ahead of the health of their staff. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I believe the HSA are tasked with this. Give them a buzz tomorrow.

They are flouting the order that non-essential retail should close effective midnight Friday last.

"There will be a grace period until 6pm on Monday 30 March for people who need to make necessary arrangements to wind down their activities in an orderly way"

They continued to take orders all weekend and told customers that they will process them Monday. There was no need for this. It is pure greed and taking advantage of the situation to make money.

You don't continue as normal up until the last minute and pretend that it is winding down in an orderly way.

By doing this, they are putting profits ahead of the health of their staff. Simple.

This is what the say on FB.
    Temporary Suspension of Deliveries from our Online Store
    Due to the new public health measures introduced by the Irish government on Friday 27 March 2020 to prevent the further spread of COVID-19, and in the interest of the health and safety of our staff, customers and the entire community, we have taken the difficult decision to suspend all deliveries from our online store. We will endeavour to ship as many orders as possible on Monday morning, 30 March, in the order in which they were received. We will continue to accept orders thereafter, but these will not be shipped until the public health measures are lifted. These measures are initially in place until Sunday 12 April 2020.
    In this difficult time, please be rest assured that all online orders received today will be despatched tomorrow.
    Thanks for your support and we're looking forward to seeing you back in store and opening our online services again soon
    So they are continuing to accept orders, even while closed, they just won't be shipping anything after tomorrow. And they are not opening, so the staff won't be dealing with the public.

So your claims that "It is pure greed and taking advantage of the situation to make money" or "By doing this, they are putting profits ahead of the health of their staff" have no legs to stand on.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Where's the "profiteering"

Have they increased prices?

I doubt it, hence no profiteering.

Social media "shame policing" by those who know nothing.

BTW, it may come as a big big surprise, but there is still surgery going on. People are still having operations. Also some medical device facilities have been repurposed leaving gaps in certain areas.

But sure the social media police have an inability to think that way

No repurposing, and the company seem to acknowledge that demand is currently down due to Covid19. And the type of medical devices they produce are for elective procedures...well what they produce in Ireland is only for elective procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Yes, it was clearly stated that an extended period of time would be given in order to enable companies to "wind down".

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    No repurposing, and the company seem to acknowledge that demand is currently down due to Covid19. And the type of medical devices they produce are for elective procedures...well what they produce in Ireland is only for elective procedures

Not all ortho surgeries are elective. There are emergency surgeries. I work in a med device company and most of the factory is closed, a good 80%. The 20% left were given the option to stay working or go out for 4 weeks like the rest of them with full pay. Some took that option.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Not all ortho surgeries are elective. There are emergency surgeries. I work in a med device company and most of the factory is closed, a good 80%. The 20% left were given the option to stay working or go out for 4 weeks like the rest of them with full pay. Some took that option.

Hips & Knees are elective in more than 90% of cases I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

I am :confused:

The question posited by the poster was "what are the precautions"? You claim that you "know" that there's a blatant disregard for health of employees as precautions are not being utilised.

However, in your response you haven't once mentioned any precautionary measures or lack thereof.

Can you please just answer the question that was asked?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Why are Heineken still producing beer?

Is it essential that Dingle distillery remain open?

While we on the subject, stop calling Gardai to ask people to social distance or stop working in their own homes. We have no power to do that and real crime is still happening.

If it's a very large crowd, fair enough but the amount of crap "my neighbors at his gate talking to another neighbor", "that guys not 2 meters from the other guy" or "my neighbor's doing non essential work on his garden / shed / roof" stuff is ridiculous.

This is a serious event but it's not Nazi Germany and I have no wish to be in the Gestapo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

easypazz wrote: »
    Is it essential that Dingle distillery remain open?

Yes 100%. They are making hand sanitiser which is in short supply in hospitals all over the country.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/dingle-distillery-using-facility-make-alcohol-hand-sanitiser/

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yes 100%. They are making hand sanitiser which is in short supply in hospitals all over the country.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/dingle-distillery-using-facility-make-alcohol-hand-sanitiser/

But...but....but.. the outrage!

County council workers still working on non essential road works.

How do you know they're non essential? Do you work in the roads department?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

And if they waited until this thing passes and everyone is back in school and work. Youd be on here saying why didnt they do it during lockdown to minimise disruption to people. Just shows, you cant win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think this thread goes to prove that being locked up indefinitely is really starting to take it's effect on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

The Savoy seem to be doing some renovations while they're closed.

I don't know how that relates to "essential work" and I understand the timing as they're forced to close for the time being. But for someone living in the apartments next door it makes working from home a bit harder when the drills and hammers are going all morning. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think this thread goes to prove that being locked up indefinitely is really starting to take it's effect on people.

I'd like to think that, but really the internet is like this all the time! Twitter, local Facebook pages, and comment sections like TheJournal.ie bring out the worst in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd like to think that, but really the internet is like this all the time! Twitter, local Facebook pages, and comment sections like TheJournal.ie bring out the worst in people.

Maybe I'm getting old but I often think to myself what a nicer place Boards would be if people weren't so nasty, sarcastic and aggressive in their replies to every point made, be it good bad or indifferent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

What about e-cigarette shops, people who have packed in smoking are vaping. If these shops are closed it could push them back to the fags, off licences are still open.

Advertisement