Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company is staying open to make money under the guise of essential

Comments

agfasfos wrote: »
    What about e-cigarette shops, people who have packed in smoking are vaping. If these shops are closed it could push them back to the fags, off licences are still open.

If you replaced nicotine with flavored smoke then you can replace the flavored stuff with fresh air. Suck a straw

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hips & Knees are elective in more than 90% of cases I'd imagine

My mum was barely able to walk and was in extreme pain for 2 years until she got her hips done. The only reason she didn't end up in care is because she is extremely stubborn. It's "elective" but only if you think extreme pain and disablement is OK, which we in Ireland are fine with.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

If you replaced nicotine with flavored smoke then you can replace the flavored stuff with fresh air. Suck a straw

So close the off licences and let people drink lemonade.

dobman88 wrote: »
    And if they waited until this thing passes and everyone is back in school and work. Youd be on here saying why didnt they do it during lockdown to minimise disruption to people. Just shows, you cant win.

It’s not a case of winning. What happened to the instructions to stay at home? The road will still be in the same condition next month or even next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

are prostitutes still working?

• Advertisement

agfasfos wrote: »
    So close the off licences and let people drink lemonade.

Correct. Did I say otherwise?

LaFuton wrote: »

Yes but you need to be on the other side of the bed for social distancing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It’s not a case of winning. What happened to the instructions to stay at home? The road will still be in the same condition next month or even next year.

I'll ask again. How do you know that these aren't essential roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Correct. Did I say otherwise?

Fair enough.

I'll ask again. How do you know that these aren't essential roadworks?

What would you consider essential? I don’t consider resurfacing (Tar and stones) essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

While we on the subject, stop calling Gardai to ask people to social distance or stop working in their own homes. We have no power to do that and real crime is still happening.

If it's a very large crowd, fair enough but the amount of crap "my neighbors at his gate talking to another neighbor", "that guys not 2 meters from the other guy" or "my neighbor's doing non essential work on his garden / shed / roof" stuff is ridiculous.

This is a serious event but it's not Nazi Germany and I have no wish to be in the Gestapo

You came across as a logical and responsible commentator ..........

until you ...... didn't .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What would you consider essential? I don’t consider resurfacing (Tar and stones) essential.

So as I though, you've no idea then.

Also council workers are public servants and are exempt from the restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

And by getting the works done now, it will be in tip top condition when this is over. Its minimising disruption and providing an essential service, I.e. the road, that people use every day. And it's all being done without annoying anyone stuck in roadworks. Most people would be delighted with this. I'm not seeing what your issue is apart from complaining for the sake of it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    And by getting the works done now, it will be in tip top condition when this is over. Its minimising disruption and providing an essential service, I.e. the road, that people use every day. And it's all being done without annoying anyone stuck in roadworks. Most people would be delighted with this. I'm not seeing what your issue is apart from complaining for the sake of it.

Geez. I don’t have an issue with it. I was surprised to see council workers when construction work is stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think this thread goes to prove that being locked up indefinitely is really starting to take it's effect on people.

Nah, people are just stupid in general :rolleyes: Probably my favourite movie quote, cos it's so true:

a5554f1f83e0da670fb2d842f0cc4252.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Geez. I don’t have an issue with it. I was surprised to see council workers when construction work is stopped.

Only non essential work is stopped. Roads are fairly essential. Fair play to them doing it now to minimise disruption

This might have been covered already - re the orthopedic elective. That simply means people not waiting in possible agony relying on the public system and getting the job done through insurance or quite often savings.

ELECTIVE!!!! Some people know just enough to be a right pain in the coccyx.

LaFuton wrote: »

I heard they're lying down on the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Hips & Knees are elective in more than 90% of cases I'd imagine

Yes but inevitably there are still going to be those who fall and break hips requiring emergency treatment. Remember we have a large proportion of our elderly who are more isolated than normal, doing more self care than they would usually have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Came across a very interesting letter from a medical device company based in Clare.

This company produce orthopaedic implants, but are claiming they are essential to the local & international healthcare system. The implants they produce are used in elective procedures.

Absolutely ridiculous situation, bringing people from all over Clare, Limerick, Tipperary & Kerry to the factory to produce a product that is only going to fill a warehouse until the pandemic is over.

Also one of their competitors has pretty much closed due to Covid19 so looks even worse, pure profiteering

Was just discussing the letter with a friend and it mentions "lifesaving" medical equipment...Yeah knee & hips are really lifesaving:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Iv been listening to stories of empty A&E departments online since all this started.

Maybe they are being smart filling the warehouse. I expect an absolute tsunami of people with delayed treatments and worsening conditions in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Iv been listening to stories of empty A&E departments online since all this started.

Maybe they are being smart filling the warehouse. I expect an absolute tsunami of people with delayed treatments and worsening conditions in the next few months.

Yeah they are being smart...but how is that essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

Came across a very interesting letter from a medical device company based in Clare.

This company produce orthopaedic implants, but are claiming they are essential to the local & international healthcare system. The implants they produce are used in elective procedures.

Absolutely ridiculous situation, bringing people from all over Clare, Limerick, Tipperary & Kerry to the factory to produce a product that is only going to fill a warehouse until the pandemic is over.

Also one of their competitors has pretty much closed due to Covid19 so looks even worse, pure profiteering

Don't be so sure about the competitors, some projects are continuing that are in no way necessary. Small numbers on site but associated products are new product ideas for elective surgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A friend of mine, he's about 70 I think, just had his knee done. His life was a misery for at least the last year with it.

If you want to keep people fit and healthy we need to keep these things going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Whitman45 wrote: »
    Any one know of company’s/factories staying open that should have closed Under the guise of essential just in order to make money?

My company and know of several contractor companies open. All far from essential.

They figure they can still service buildings better no one there ironically its better doing site and maintenance work. So required maintenace rewiring etc can all be done.

Its work that can wait but greedy contractor managers want it done now as they charge a premium and many very large offices agree. No downtime or disturbance to staff at all. All they need is site access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Whitman45 wrote: »
    Any one know of company’s/factories staying open that should have closed Under the guise of essential just in order to make money?

My company and know of several contractor companies open. All far from essential.

They figure they can still service buildings better no one there ironically its better doing site and maintenance work. So required maintenace rewiring etc can all be done.

Its work that can wait but greedy contractor managers want it done now as they charge a premium and many very large offices agree. No downtime or disturbance to staff at all. All they need is site access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

A friend of mine, he's about 70 I think, just had his knee done. His life was a misery for at least the last year with it.

If you want to keep people fit and healthy we need to keep these things going.

My own father had his done about 2 weeks before the restrictions luckily for him. But I doubt anyone would be considered for a knee or hip replacement now. Theatres will only be used for critical surgeries now, critical meaning potential for loss of life or organ function if the operation doesn't happen. Worldwide demand for Orthopaedic implants has dried up. If a manufacturer is in back order they shouldn't exploit their workforce and their safety to recover a supply situation of their own doing. People will still get the required surgeries once they are allowed again but a competitor who has product ready to ho will be preferred. It critical alright, critical to business, not to potential patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The take away next door to the Chinese off of the Groody road.

jonski wrote: »
    You came across as a logical and responsible commentator ..........

until you ...... didn't .

Ah, there has to be room for tomfoolery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Ah, there has to be room for tomfoolery

My fault then, I take it all back ;)

It's just that I have seen other European countries deem them essential .

Advertisement