Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company is staying open to make money under the guise of essential

13»

Comments

jonski wrote: »
    My fault then, I take it all back ;)

It's just that I have seen other European countries deem them essential .

You could close food shops before estancas in Spain and Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

agfasfos wrote: »
    What about e-cigarette shops, people who have packed in smoking are vaping. If these shops are closed it could push them back to the fags, off licences are still open.
    The one near me is open.
    agfasfos wrote: »
    So close the off licences and let people drink lemonade.
    Pointless. Supermarkets will never shut and they sell booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

le_girl wrote: »
    The Savoy seem to be doing some renovations while they're closed.

I don't know how that relates to "essential work" and I understand the timing as they're forced to close for the time being. But for someone living in the apartments next door it makes working from home a bit harder when the drills and hammers are going all morning. :(

I'd be fairly slow to criticise companies publicly, but this is unforgivable -- and, from what I can tell, there's still work of some description ongoing in there today. Amazing that they're getting away with it, really.

Then again, I've lived in the area for years and the Savoy have never exactly been prone to thinking of their surrounding environment. For a long, long time, for example, they used to have the alley at the back (loudly) power-washed in the dead of night; I know I complained several times and presumably I wasn't the only one.

A couple of summers ago, they also undertook renovations that proved very disruptive to nearby residents, too; drilling, sawing and hammering from very early in the morning on, including on Saturdays sometimes. Necessary I'm sure, but when their builder was choosing to do his sawing outside on a balcony, very close to my own apartment and those of a number of my neighbours, I wasn't exactly thrilled. To say the least.

I could also go into how they allow their Christmas party revelers to use the same balcony as a smoking area, a practice that apparently even attracts complaints from guests of the hotel on an annual basis, but who has the time?

The current work has been going on for weeks, by the way. But at least that's taken place during social hours. Continuing it under the current restrictions, however (if that is the case), is just disgusting. And they were relatively slow to close their doors to the public as well, if memory serves. Compare and contrast to the likes of Pharmacia, who closed voluntarily the day before the schools shut up shop. No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

AlanOB wrote: »
    I'd be fairly slow to criticise companies publicly, but this is unforgivable -- and, from what I can tell, there's still work of some description ongoing in there today. Amazing that they're getting away with it, really.

Then again, I've lived in the area for years and the Savoy have never exactly been prone to thinking of their surrounding environment. For a long, long time, for example, they used to have the alley at the back (loudly) power-washed in the dead of night; I know I complained several times and presumably I wasn't the only one.

A couple of summers ago, they also undertook renovations that proved very disruptive to nearby residents, too; drilling, sawing and hammering from very early in the morning on, including on Saturdays sometimes. Necessary I'm sure, but when their builder was choosing to do his sawing outside on a balcony, very close to my own apartment and those of a number of my neighbours, I wasn't exactly thrilled. To say the least.

I could also go into how they allow their Christmas party revelers to use the same balcony as a smoking area, a practice that apparently even attracts complaints from guests of the hotel on an annual basis, but who has the time?

The current work has been going on for weeks, by the way. But at least that's taken place during social hours. Continuing it under the current restrictions, however (if that is the case), is just disgusting. And they were relatively slow to close their doors to the public as well, if memory serves. Compare and contrast to the likes of Pharmacia, who closed voluntarily the day before the schools shut up shop. No comparison.

That's really interesting because I've only lived here for a month so I thought this was a one off. I presumed they were taking the chance while they had no guests. From the sounds of it, I'm out of luck if I want to say anything about it as this is a pattern.

Maybe it's the way I'm facing but I just heard noises starting on Thursday, Friday and then it was another level yesterday. I mean, if I had to take a phone or video call for work it would be impossible with the drilling. I can't hear anything today but I hope it stays that way.

I get the timing from their perspective but to have a hundred and something people next door, many who have to work from home is not a good mix with that going on.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Only non essential work is stopped. Roads are fairly essential. Fair play to them doing it now to minimise disruption

Obviously no longer essential. They finished up Monday evening without finishing the job.
    Not that my issue was with the job. Just the social distancing and safety of the workers and their families.

• Advertisement
Advertisement