Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke odour from neighbours apartment

Options
  • 29-03-2020 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

New neighbours moved into the apartment next to me recently. They are smoking indoors but not opening any windows so now my apartment stinks of cigarettes.

There is a 1cm gap under the door to my apartment so I'm going to try block that off to try prevent it coming in.

Are there any other suggestions? I've mentioned it to them asking them to open a window but let's just say they weren't receptive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If they are tenants I suggest sending a complaint to the Management Company who will notify the landlord first off.
    If they are owners check out the house rules, usually posted in the Common Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Before doing anything permanent try putting a towel along the bottom of the door, if that works then you can look at something more permenant, if it doesn't work you need another solution, possibly coming in from another route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Before doing anything permanent try putting a towel along the bottom of the door, if that works then you can look at something more permenant, if it doesn't work you need another solution, possibly coming in from another route.

Have a towel at the moment and it does seem to help a bit. Have the air filter system on boost mode and windows open now to try get rid of the smell that's already in the apartment. Was thinking of getting something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VJXPD4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the door gaps.

It's definitely the worst smell at the door so pretty confident it's coming in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Edgware wrote: »
    If they are tenants I suggest sending a complaint to the Management Company who will notify the landlord first off.
    If they are owners check out the house rules, usually posted in the Common Area.

If they are smoking inside the apartment, I don’t see what role the MC has in this, if they are smoking in the common areas inside, that is a different matter.

Dav010 wrote: »
    If they are smoking inside the apartment, I don’t see what role the MC has in this, if they are smoking in the common areas inside, that is a different matter.

If the smoke is affecting other residents as a result of escaping from the apartment it is a matter for the Management Company. House Rules usually cover behaviour which disrupt the living standards of residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the smoke is affecting other residents as a result of escaping from the apartment it is a matter for the Management Company. House Rules usually cover behaviour which disrupt the living standards of residents.

No one can stop people smoking in their own home.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the property is rented and tenants behaviour is causing disruption to other block residents
    the Management Company can take the landlord to task.
    If it is owner occupied it is more difficult but depending on the property lease there is methods to deal with it

No one is asking for this.
    Anyway management company been very good about it. Turns out there was already a few emails about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Which is a shame, especially in apartment blocks. It's disgusting that one apartment of smokers can stink out the whole building.

Which is a shame, especially in apartment blocks. It's disgusting that one apartment of smokers can stink out the whole building.

True would be nice to have non smoking blocks. It's annoying that this is stinking up my home. Thankfully the management company are being good about it and coming up with solutions like sealing the offending apartments doors etc so it should get better.

• Advertisement

If the property is rented and tenants behaviour is causing disruption to other block residents
    the Management Company can take the landlord to task.
    If it is owner occupied it is more difficult but depending on the property lease there is methods to deal with it

Such as? You can’t stop someone smoking in their own property any more than you can stop them from cooking food with a strong odour or not airing the place. I’m not even sure the landlord can stop them smoking if the lease doesn’t prohibit it. The occupants are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

True would be nice to have non smoking blocks. It's annoying that this is stinking up my home. Thankfully the management company are being good about it and coming up with solutions like sealing the offending apartments doors etc so it should get better.

do you have balconies by chance ? the no. 1 mistake people often make is that the smoke smell is coming in through the door and opening the window will air it out, when in likelihood its coming through the window.

it could also be an issue with negative pressure on common area ventilation drawing smoke into the common areas, which is completely at the fault of the management company, with your window open does your door slam shut or blow open or is it normal enough ?

if you're absolutely positive its the smoke leaving their door, id suggest just buying them one of these https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-white-aluminium-self-adhesive-draught-excluder-l-1m/1802838_BQ.prd and offering to fit it yourself, less than the price of 2 pints and thats you and the neighbours sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dav010 wrote: »
    Such as? You can’t stop someone smoking in their own property any more than you can stop them from cooking food with a strong odour or not airing the place. I’m not even sure the landlord can stop them smoking if the lease doesn’t prohibit it. The occupants are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of their own home.

Nobody is saying otherwise... It's there in black and white for all to read...

Nobody is saying otherwise... It's there in black and white for all to read...

I was asking how Edgware thinks the LL would be taken to task, and what other methods the MC would use the lease to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If smoke is smelling your place out then what is going to happen with an actual fire. I'd be way more worried about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

put in a draught excluder like below. How is the seal around the rest of the door? Get the likes of this for below door. Will be good for heat retention anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372891146527

If the smell still comes in, get this. Assuming there are gaps around door letting smell in.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/123321182777

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If a fire door is releasing smoke which is then gaining entry into another apartment you have way bigger problems.

Apartment entry doors are Fire Doors generally a 30min door, these have smoke seals around the door head and sides. The gap underneath the door is not permitted to be greater than 5mm.

If, as you say smoke is leaving their apartment and getting into yours that means the smoke is bypassing 2 fire doors. If that is the case they must be heavily compromised fire doors. If I lived there I would be requesting a Fire Audit of the building or at the very least an Audit of the Fire doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Have a towel at the moment and it does seem to help a bit. Have the air filter system on boost mode and windows open now to try get rid of the smell that's already in the apartment. Was thinking of getting something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VJXPD4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the door gaps.

It's definitely the worst smell at the door so pretty confident it's coming in there.

I'd suggest one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112611632300

I have them in the house and they're pretty good.

Advertisement