Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVR for saorview and freeview

• 29-03-2020 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is there any decent pvr that can manage saorview and freeview? I get both through my aerial, I'm on the east coast.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I am in N. Ireland getting both Freeview and Saorview and I highly recommend Panasonic Freeview HD. Ability to reorder channels is important as Saorview ones appear in 800s with some well down the channel list. I got both of my PVRs through Currys who afaik are still delivering online orders.
    I have this one with a smaller TV set - PANASONIC DMR-HWT130EB Freeview+ HD Smart Digital TV Recorder - 500 GB
    Product code: 058321

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

I am in N. Ireland getting both Freeview and Saorview and I highly recommend Panasonic Freeview HD. Ability to reorder channels is important as Saorview ones appear in 800s with some well down the channel list. I got both of my PVRs through Currys who afaik are still delivering online orders.
    I have this one with a smaller TV set - PANASONIC DMR-HWT130EB Freeview+ HD Smart Digital TV Recorder - 500 GB
    Excellent, looks like what I want. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ei9go

Does series link work on Saorview for you?

I have an older panasonic that used to do series link before RTE nobbled it

ei9go wrote: »
    Does series link work on Saorview for you?

I have an older panasonic that used to do series link before RTE nobbled it

I know it doesn't have series link for Saorview but does have for Freeview. Only major drawback for me is no subtitles for Saorview but otherwise very impressed with both my Panasonic PVRs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭dubrov

Anything that can handle Saorview can also handle Freeview. Look for DVB-T2 tuner in the spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Hi there Digifriendly, When you say that the channels can be re-ordered, do you mean in a 'favourites list' or can you actually assign RTÉ 1 to EPG 001, RTÉ 2 to EPG 002 etc. Cause there's the '250EB' version of the Panasonic DMR-HWT for sale near me, and if I can re order the EPG positions, I'll snap this one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I know it doesn't have series link for Saorview but does have for Freeview. Only major drawback for me is no subtitles for Saorview but otherwise very impressed with both my Panasonic PVRs.

Look for MHEG-5 in the specs if you want this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Hi there Digifriendly, When you say that the channels can be re-ordered, do you mean in a 'favourites list' or can you actually assign RTÉ 1 to EPG 001, RTÉ 2 to EPG 002 etc. Cause there's the '250EB' version of the Panasonic DMR-HWT for sale near me, and if I can re order the EPG positions, I'll snap this one up.

I had the 150 version up to recently and the channels could be renumbered i.e. RTE I on 1, that was the big plus for me over the Humax

I got the 130 EB version just a few months ago and as with previous post you can reorder as you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

The Humax freeview HD PVR will do saorview - cant do reorder like the panasonic on saorview but will give programme info unlike the panasonic.
    Again as per the panasonic no series link on saorview. I hav ethe model below. however unlike the panasonic the humax are not available in currys in ROI.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-2000t/

Here's a list of models in currys uk that will suit your needs.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_30021_1816_36_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

I see that RS in Belfast have the panasonics in stock much cheaper than currys irish price and that price includes ROI delivery.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-31-digitalsettopboxes.aspx?swapstore=1#pgnum=1&sort=&l=1&c1=-1&v1=37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

kooga wrote: »
    The Humax freeview HD PVR will do saorview - cant do reorder like the panasonic on saorview but will give programme info unlike the panasonic.
    Again as per the panasonic no series link on saorview. I hav ethe model below. however unlike the panasonic the humax are not available in currys in ROI.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-2000t/

Here's a list of models in currys uk that will suit your needs.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/304_3021_30021_1816_36_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

I see that RS in Belfast have the panasonics in stock much cheaper than currys irish price and that price includes ROI delivery.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/c-31-digitalsettopboxes.aspx?swapstore=1#pgnum=1&sort=&l=1&c1=-1&v1=37

I had an old HDR Fox T2 from Humax for years. With the added features from the custom firmware it was a great machine, even had series link on Saorview in the early days untill 2RN nobbled it.

After years of trouble free service, I started to get a lot of failed recording errors, then it wouldn't save the Irish channels in the EPG. I could tune them in ok, but turn the box off and on again they were gone!

Tried doing a full factory re-set, back to Humax firmware re-format the HDD, but it was just the same.

I found a Panasonic '250EB' for sale on Gumtree up here in the North, going to pick it up on Wed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Hello
    Which PVR will record Saorview and Freeview HD with subtitles, serial links work on both platform, full EPG and channels reording list.
    Humax can show subtitles but it will not playpack subtitles programs.

TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Souriau wrote: »
    Hello
    Which PVR will record Saorview and Freeview HD with subtitles, serial links work on both platform, full EPG and channels reording list.
    Humax can show subtitles but it will not playpack subtitles programs.

TIA.

An Enigma box?

Advertisement