Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build - Entry Level Gaming PC

Options
  • 29-03-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice on a cheap and cheerful gaming PC which could also be used for work when necessary. In terms of work, it needs to be able to run MS Suite (Office, Teams, Power BI etc) and work with a fair number of windows and programs open at once. For gaming, it can be pretty light, but it needs a graphics card. Here's an example of the specs of a typical game that I would hope to run.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: a dedicated graphics equivalent or higher as a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    DirectX: Version 10
    Storage: 4 GB available space

Will use PS4 or Xbox for anything higher spec, I'm really just hoping this PC will run some indie games that aren't available on console. Budget is 500 Euro. I have a monitor and mouse already, so would just need a keyboard.

Looking forward to getting some opinions. If I can manage to get some of this stuff shipped in the next few weeks, it would be a nice little project for me to get stuck into while i'm stuck indoors.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi,

Looking for some advice on a cheap and cheerful gaming PC which could also be used for work when necessary. In terms of work, it needs to be able to run MS Suite (Office, Teams, Power BI etc) and work with a fair number of windows and programs open at once. For gaming, it can be pretty light, but it needs a graphics card. Here's an example of the specs of a typical game that I would hope to run.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: a dedicated graphics equivalent or higher as a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    DirectX: Version 10
    Storage: 4 GB available space

Will use PS4 or Xbox for anything higher spec, I'm really just hoping this PC will run some indie games that aren't available on console. Budget is 500 Euro. I have a monitor and mouse already, so would just need a keyboard.

Looking forward to getting some opinions. If I can manage to get some of this stuff shipped in the next few weeks, it would be a nice little project for me to get stuck into while i'm stuck indoors.

Thanks

This is a decent option if you'll consider a prebuilt and works out just over budget at €512.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/awd-raider-2600x-six-core-42ghz-radeon-rx-580-4gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming-3430081

I'm sure the lads will give a list of parts for a self build though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honestly not sure I can beat that TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

TitianGerm wrote: »
    This is a decent option if you'll consider a prebuilt and works out just over budget at €512.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/awd-raider-2600x-six-core-42ghz-radeon-rx-580-4gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming-3430081

Wow. Looks well specced for the price. The only issue is those awful lights :D

What Wifi adaptor would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Home plugs will give you a better experience than wifi.

Higher speeds, lower latency, better security and no problems with signal unless ancient electrics in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

BloodBath wrote: »
    Home plugs will give you a better experience than wifi.

Higher speeds, lower latency, better security and no problems with signal unless ancient electrics in the house.

Are you sure? I get far superior speeds via wifi than using plugs. The speed on plugs is typically a combo of up/down and in laboratory settings. In a modern apartment, on my 500 Mbps set, I was typically getting a mix of about 120 Mbps each way. Wifi (5Ghz) is giving me many multiples of that. No issues with security, or interference. Actually never bother to compare the latency, but have no problems with latency over wifi.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Are you sure? I get far superior speeds via wifi than using plugs. The speed on plugs is typically a combo of up/down and in laboratory settings. In a modern apartment, on my 500 Mbps set, I was typically getting a mix of about 120 Mbps each way. Wifi (5Ghz) is giving me many multiples of that. No issues with security, or interference. Actually never bother to compare the latency, but have no problems with latency over wifi.

Yeah i'm with you there. I don't buy into this whole home plug thing. Wifi does the job perfectly fine.

Having said that, I don't game over the internet so speed is not particularly important to me.

I think i'll try to put a list of parts together and come back here when I'm a bit more knowledgeable. I like the idea of a self-build, even if there is more potential for something to go horribly wrong!

Also, and this is a really minor thing to get hung up on, I really can't stand the LEDs on that case. I just couldn't have something that gaudy sitting in my house.

Thanks very much for the recommendation though. It gives me a good steer as to what I might expect in terms of parts for the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think i'll try to put a list of parts together and come back here when I'm a bit more knowledgeable. I like the idea of a self-build, even if there is more potential for something to go horribly wrong!

Also, and this is a really minor thing to get hung up on, I really can't stand the LEDs on that case. I just couldn't have something that gaudy sitting in my house.

Thanks very much for the recommendation though. It gives me a good steer as to what I might expect in terms of parts for the budget.

You can just turn off the LEDs though.

If KO Kiki can't beat the above on similar spec within budget I doubt you'll get close as he's a pro at this stuff :pac:

Maybe upping the budget a bit will get you better options though for a self build.

Let us know how you get on and post up a picture when you have it built!!

You can just turn off the LEDs though.

Oh. I did not realise that - whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

dotsman wrote: »

It depends on the homeplug and a bunch of other things. They go up to 2000Mb/s now. I guess it's not gonna work for everyone. Neither is wifi though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement