Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm all over Dublin Monday to Saturday while working. I've come across many checkpoints and never an issue. Each time I lower the passenger window I'm met with a friendly Garda. It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's "a producer" ?

Presumably someone who grows stuff in this context and not

the-producers-1968-blankie-max-bialystock-leo-bloom-gene-wilder-zero-mostel-review-mel-brooks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Presumably someone who grows stuff in this context and not

the-producers-1968-blankie-max-bialystock-leo-bloom-gene-wilder-zero-mostel-review-mel-brooks.jpg

No, someone said in the first pages the checkpoint was a producer, and someone querying somethjng was told to "take a producer"?

Presumably theyre not suggesting we borrow a market gardener to take shopping with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Produce your documents (licence etc.) in a Garda station nominated by you within 10 days.

Always get proof of production from the Garda in the station to avoid problems later.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Esel wrote: »
    Produce your documents (licence etc.) in a Garda station nominated by you within 10 days.

Always get proof of production from the Garda in the station to avoid problems later.

Official guidelines say that if you must go out in your car, bring id. It's not that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've yet to see one checkpoint or even one squad car about ...albeit i live in rural area, but still i'd expect to see some sort of garda presence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

pablo128 wrote: »
    Official guidelines say that if you must go out in your car, bring id. It's not that difficult.

Surely it makes sense for people to carry their driving licences when out driving. Maybe it should be mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

alta stare wrote: »
    Surely it makes sense for people to carry their driving licences when out driving. Maybe it should be mandatory.

Guidelines are only guidelines, you can ask to produce your license in ten days, or carry a copy/picture in phone (front and back) instead. Makes more sense, than leaving it in your car, incase someone takes it for the laugh.

Guidelines are only guidelines, you can ask to produce your license in ten days, or carry a copy/picture in phone (front and back) instead. Makes more sense, than leaving it in your car, incase someone takes it for the laugh.

But what good is ones licence to anyone else? I carry my licence in my wallet and if i dont i leave it in the car.

just leave it in the glovebox, simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

It is.

Philipx wrote: »
    It is.

If it is then there seems to be no penalty for not having it given they tell you to produce at a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Someone ask what a 'producer' was. I explained it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gardai really stepping up checks now. Just on the news there and they have deliberately created huge tailbacks on the motorways to try to discourage people from travelling. Bit harsh on those who have to travel to be stuck in a jam for hours but thats whats happening.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Gardai really stepping up checks now. Just on the news there and they have deliberately created huge tailbacks on the motorways to try to discourage people from travelling. Bit harsh on those who have to travel to be stuck in a jam for hours but thats whats happening.

Harsh maybe, but very necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Why so many cars on the road now when they were light traffic before.I wont/dont be going to the beach or holiday home and just do local shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So the regulations state that you may not leave your residence without a reasonable excuse. A list of specific excuses is then given.
    (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred to as the “relevant residence”) to -
    a)
    b)
    c)
    etc.

i take it from this that the list in clause 2 is not exhaustive and that clause 1 would give some discretion to the authorities to decide what a reasonable excuse is. Would property maintenance such as mowing the lawn be a reasonable excuse?

greasepalm wrote: »
    Why so many cars on the road now when they were light traffic before.I wont/dont be going to the beach or holiday home and just do local shopping.

Because people are massively selfish and are heading to spread this in holiday spots to suit themselves.

i'm gonna walk cross-country to Dingle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Expect more checks then ever, 1st time stopped in car tonight, checking why your out but getting people to pull in as they don't believe them and so on...

Bray traffic nuts on M50/M11

• Advertisement

Expect more checks then ever, 1st time stopped in car tonight, checking why your out but getting people to pull in as they don't believe them and so on...

Hopefully every singe one caught ends up 2500 quid lighter.

Checkpoint?

How can they prove you arent going somewhere for the reason you give? It all seems a bit up in the air. Like for instance they cant stop you from going to visit your child or parents etc. The threat of fines and the likes is up to be challenged big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Checkpoint?

How can they prove you arent going somewhere for the reason you give? It all seems a bit up in the air. Like for instance they cant stop you from going to visit your child or parents etc. The threat of fines and the likes is up to be challenged big time.

If you have no valid reason though....

Obviously helps if your car has tax, NCT and insurance too....

They will a d are catching many without.....

If you have no valid reason though....

Obviously helps if your car has tax, NCT and insurance too....

They will a d are catching many without.....

My point is though...how can they turn you away if you say you have to go to your parents or you are visiting your child. It clearly says in the legislation that the above are acceptable reasons for travel.

Checkpoint?

They can, and are stopping people from visiting family as they should be. Like the clowns that drove from meath to Cork to visit family. They got as far as fermoy and told to turn around and go home. Right job. It's not 1 rule for some people and no rules for others. These clowns are the reason the lockdown will be extended.

They can, and are stopping people from visiting family as they should be. Like the clowns that drove from meath to Cork to visit family. They got as far as fermoy and told to turn around and go home. Right job. It's not 1 rule for some people and no rules for others. These clowns are the reason the lockdown will be extended.

But they cant if you need to get to them. It gives a list of reasons for travel and tending to family ie parents/kids is one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

My point is though...how can they turn you away if you say you have to go to your parents or you are visiting your child. It clearly says in the legislation that the above are acceptable reasons for travel.

well you're not supposed to be seeing your elderly parents, if you have your kids in the car and are on the way to courtown it hardly holds up either.

I bet the lad who owns Jimmyz was rang about a hundred times to open the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Checkpoint?

This is Wednesday. The pictures on the news papers and TV tomorrow will be enough to deter the idiots bringing their little super spreaders on selfish jaunts in the next few days.

It is very necessary to have these measures in place.

well you're not supposed to be seeing your elderly parents, if you have your kids in the car and are on the way to courtown it hardly holds up either.

I bet the lad who owns Jimmyz was rang about a hundred times to open the back door.

My folks have a holiday home a short walk from Jimmy's. When the lockdown was announced, they came home and stayed home. Doing the right thing, as they should. But of course it looks like plenty of others think it doesn't apply to them.

• Advertisement

So you are telling me i cannot go see my parents and give them any help they require?.....you are wrong and the cops cant even prevent anyone from doing such a thing.

I never said id be bringing my kids to see them. I said if i wanted to go see my kids then i cannot be stopped. Its says so in the legislation.

Advertisement