Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This is Wednesday. The pictures on the news papers and TV tomorrow will be enough to deter the idiots bringing their little super spreaders on selfish jaunts in the next few days.

It is very necessary to have these measures in place.

Will it though? Maybe it will but i wouldnt be surprised if it don't.

Dont get me wrong i agree that people travelling to their holiday homes and the likes should be stopped but this whole notion that we are not allowed travel is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Haven't seen a single checkpoint since the Saturday night after the announcement. There was one leaving Dublin city centre onto the N4 and one on the N4 slip outbound at Woodies in Lucan.

I've been driving to and from work as usual and haven't seen anything at all since. On Sunday I drove to the city to drop shopping off for the GF's parents and I'll pick her up tomorrow night after work when she's dropping off more stuff.

Traffic has been quieter although there was a noticeable increase in traffic last night when driving home at 1am. Went for a walk when I got home and there was a few people on their own hovering around looking a bit dodgy and good few cars out. Saw a Garda car pass and they didn't stop to check anyone. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got stopped coming from Dunnes Stores with shopping, all cordially polite

They are doing a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

alta stare wrote: »
    So you are telling me i cannot go see my parents and give them any help they require?.....you are wrong and the cops cant even prevent anyone from doing such a thing.

I never said id be bringing my kids to see them. I said if i wanted to go see my kids then i cannot be stopped. Its says so in the legislation.

thats not what I'm saying. If your parents genuinely needed help I'm sure the gardai could facilitate, however your post (now if I'm wrong I'm wrong) read more to me as looking for a loophole like 'show up at a checkpoint, scream at the gardai 'I'm going to go see my ma' and you and the kids can go down to a caravan feeling smug about sellfishly getting away with it. Now thats not targetted at you but there are definitely lurkers and posters cruising this thread for some way to get the brats out of the house at the weekend and trying to line up an excuse for the Garda.

thats not what I'm saying. If your parents genuinely needed help I'm sure the gardai could facilitate, however your post (now if I'm wrong I'm wrong) read more to me as looking for a loophole like 'show up at a checkpoint, scream at the gardai 'I'm going to go see my ma' and you and the kids can go down to a caravan feeling smug about sellfishly getting away with it. Now thats not targetted at you but there are definitely lurkers and posters cruising this thread for some way to get the brats out of the house at the weekend and trying to line up an excuse for the Garda.

Of course if a car if full of kids or whatnot then the cops will have a different approach to letting them through.

I myself am not looking for a loophole im just pointing out how the Gardai cannot stop ever5yome from travelling. The one checkpoint i went through i was asked where i was going. I told them i was heading to my parents which is over 62km away and i was left through with no issues. The cannot stop anyone from doing such a journey as how can they prove that i am not going there in order to help my parents with shopping, chores etc.

Now i bet we can all agree it takes some sort of dick to travel to their holiday homes etc and those people should be dealt with.

• Advertisement

Of course if a car if full of kids or whatnot then the cops will have a different approach to letting them through.

I myself am not looking for a loophole im just pointing out how the Gardai cannot stop ever5yome from travelling. The one checkpoint i went through i was asked where i was going. I told them i was heading to my parents which is over 62km away and i was left through with no issues. The cannot stop anyone from doing such a journey as how can they prove that i am not going there in order to help my parents with shopping, chores etc.

Now i bet we can all agree it takes some sort of dick to travel to their holiday homes etc and those people should be dealt with.

I think profiling will do a lot and very easy

stop everyone with a bike rack and bikes on the car, stop cars full of people, don't waste your time with trucks or vans with a ladder on the roof or the name of companies like plumbers etc.. on the side, people dressed in workwear, high vis or suits heading towards the cities or industrial areas are probably working. Stop every car with a child or dog in it. you've already filtered out about half the vehicles on the road already with those simple observations.

I think profiling will do a lot and very easy

stop everyone with a bike rack and bikes on the car, stop cars full of people, don't waste your time with trucks or vans with a ladder on the roof or the name of companies like plumbers etc.. on the side, people dressed in workwear, high vis or suits heading towards the cities or industrial areas are probably working. Stop every car with a child or dog in it. you've already filtered out about half the vehicles on the road already with those simple observations.

They cannot police this. If a person gets stopped at a checkpoint and they are told to turn back then that person can just take another route. The Gardai are heavily reliant on public assistance and there is no way everyone will be compliant. IMO i think they need to blitz all tourist attractions, holiday homes and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bit harsh on those who have to travel to be stuck in a jam for hours but thats whats happening.

Very harsh on their fellow essential workers. Tired and hungry after an eleven hour shift today, the last thing I wanted was to sit in a traffic jam for an hour and a half.

They cannot police this. If a person gets stopped at a checkpoint and they are told to turn back then that person can just take another route. The Gardai are heavily reliant on public assistance and there is no way everyone will be compliant. IMO i think they need to blitz all tourist attractions, holiday homes and the likes.

its actually shockingly easy to do with the new powers. set a checkpoint coming in to holiday home locations, courtown, dingle, cobh etc.. stop cars going in and tell them 'turn back and if we see you again its a 2500 quid fine' note reg's and set up another checkpoint outside the supermarket / offo. you'd catch the different route crowd rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I sellotape my licence to the end of my knob to exercise social distancing.

Apologies if posted before. It's a long thread. Like me knob.

• Advertisement

its actually shockingly easy to do with the new powers. set a checkpoint coming in to holiday home locations, courtown, dingle, cobh etc.. stop cars going in and tell them 'turn back and if we see you again its a 2500 quid fine' note reg's and set up another checkpoint outside the supermarket / offo. you'd catch the different route crowd rapid.

Absolutely it will work if they do as you say but it will only work if they blitz these places and not just random roads for short periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Father had to travel to UHK today for work (with the HSE) and got stopped 6 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Not everyone has convenient parents in Wexford or Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can easily see where all the checkpoints are coming out of Dublin by looking at Google Maps and turning on the traffic overlay, and look for the short red lines where it's normally green at this time of night. There's one on every motorway leaving Dublin, M1, N2, N3, M4, N7 and M11 right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This would be epic, absolutely epic I know that Blakes Corner in Ennistymon is the last bastion on the road to Lahinch/Doolin and Fanore unless they try the other routes.
    If they had a check point just beyond the church catch the plebs and turn them right around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Alun wrote: »
    You can easily see where all the checkpoints are coming out of Dublin by looking at Google Maps and turning on the traffic overlay, and look for the short red lines where it's normally green at this time of night. There's one on every motorway leaving Dublin, M1, N2, N3, M4, N7 and M11 right now.

Thankfully, the imbeciles travelling unnecessarily, wouldn’t have the intelligence to check something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Shussshhhh.. don't give the game away lad!

Noticed this myself earlier on heading to the shops, only one cause of a traffic jam at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shussshhhh.. don't give the game away lad!

Noticed this myself earlier on heading to the shops, only one cause of a traffic jam at the moment.

Could, be dozens, of checks down my way but it would still show green.

they've actually done it really cleverly too, can see a few key spots between the N4 and N7 that would definitely be quiet are at a standstill , you wouldn't even be able to drive around the checkpoint without some serious local back road knowledge and even then.... They'll probably be on those spots 24/7 by Friday stopping people thinking they can go to their holiday homes in the dead of night.

would much prefer them let them get all the way to the town boundary and then turn them around though, a good 2-4 hour drive back to the big smoke to think about their choices and a 2500 quid fine to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

would much prefer them let them get all the way to the town boundary and then turn them around though, a good 2-4 hour drive back to the big smoke to think about their choices and a 2500 quid fine to boot.

I think there's a bit of confusion about the fine element, it's not adminstered at the roadside like an FCPN, the person has to be arrested and the fine is imposed upon conviction before the courts.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of confusion about the fine element, it's not adminstered at the roadside like an FCPN, the person has to be arrested and the fine is imposed upon conviction before the courts.

ahh, that was not made clear, well I revise, a 2-4 hour drive home and the promise of a court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

they've actually done it really cleverly too, can see a few key spots between the N4 and N7 that would definitely be quiet are at a standstill , you wouldn't even be able to drive around the checkpoint without some serious local back road knowledge and even then.... They'll probably be on those spots 24/7 by Friday stopping people thinking they can go to their holiday homes in the dead of night.

The checkpoint on the M4 has been there all day. Like since early this morning till at least an hour ago a friend of mine was stopped.

They are certainly not messing about. I've been stopped more in the last two weeks than in my entire life.

Looking right now on the M4, N2, N7, N11, M1. Anyone coming in or out of Dublin is getting stopped at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I've been stopped 4 times. Once whilst coming home from grocery shopping, three times on my way to work (Once in the afternoon, twice at night).

The Gardai have been very friendly, keeping a good distance (but having a good look at my windscreen paperwork :D ) none of them have asked to see my letter from the boss, even though I've offered it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I reckon a lot of the idiots are already down the country since last weekend. I hope the Gardaí do the same on Easter Monday or Tuesday.

Not everyone has convenient parents in Wexford or Connemara.

And your point is?

I reckon a lot of the idiots are already down the country since last weekend. I hope the Gardaí do the same on Easter Monday or Tuesday.

just post everyone on the covid payment a letter with a code in it to activate their next payment and mount 24/7 checkpoints on these motorways.

ahh, that was not made clear, well I revise, a 2-4 hour drive home and the promise of a court date.

And then when all this is over and there are loads due in court we will have to lockdown again so we dont overwhelm the courts system. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Since when is it only people from Dublin that have second homes in a different part of the country?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Since when is it only people from Dublin that have second homes in a different part of the country?

it isn't, I'm sure other cities are doing similar things but as Irelands most populously dense part, and the one I live nearest its the one I have examples of and will sneer at such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Seems to me to be an awful lot of dub bashing on this forum of late. A lot more than normal tbh. I get you all have an inferiority complex about the mighty dubs but I implore you to be rational in your thinking going forward please.....we are not the enemy, at least not any more than normal

Advertisement