Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah I think I'll fool them by going to Dublin for the weekend :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had to take my ma's car to work today to make sure it doesn't die from sitting. I wonder would the Gardai have an issue with me driving from Blanch into the city and back out to Lucan rather than going straight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Nal wrote: »
    Did he check the discs in the window?

Google maps is live, as is Waze.

Waze would be great if people used it. I meant how often does it refresh as in receive new data. For example if it shows traffic at a standstill, how long after the traffic clears will the image change ?

There is a lot of disk checking going on based on online comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Does anyone know if these checkpoints will be manned 24 hours.

Are you asking for a friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Had to take my ma's car to work today to make sure it doesn't die from sitting. I wonder would the Gardai have an issue with me driving from Blanch into the city and back out to Lucan rather than going straight home.

Pick a pint of milk and some bread and say you're taking it to you Ma. They wont care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Alun wrote: »
    Ditto for sneaking through Shankill or Bray.

No choice with the road works at loughlinstown....

Was through there last night and this morning, collecting the wife and coming home from work myself.

See the uniform and all chats and through I go....

All very nice so far, in work vehicle just get waved through, I've gone through so many now I've lost count....

Or now I think of it, is it really road works.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Purgative wrote: »
    My wife has just been stopped on the way to Tescos.

Felt a bit sorry for the gard because although he was saying shure you're grand, she insisted on showing her three shopping lists and then all the bags in the boot.

haha a mate of mine who drives for a living has a strategy to not get stopped at checkpoints. He says when you're approaching the Garda you roll the window fully down, have your license ready in your right hand and stick both that and your head fully out of the window while putting your best gobsh1te expression on your face. The Garda sees this and thinks 'ah I dont want to be dealing with this idiot' and waves him on. Says its surprisingly effective because this is the way headwreckers act around the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No choice with the road works at loughlinstown....
    Didn't know about these but I see there's no traffic at all southbound from the Loughlinstown Roundabout. What are they doing, just resurfacing?

There's been a checkpoint on the Bray side of Windgates at the golf club for a couple of days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Muahahaha wrote: »
    haha a mate of mine who drives for a living has a strategy to not get stopped at checkpoints. He says when you're approaching the Garda you roll the window fully down, have your license ready in your right hand and stick both that and your head fully out of the window while putting your best gobsh1te expression on your face. The Garda sees this and thinks 'ah I dont want to be dealing with this idiot' and waves him on. Says its surprisingly effective because this is the way headwreckers act around the Gardai.

Gob****e face? Like an eager face?

Now I need to know what the headwreckers antics at checkpoints. I'm trying to visualise this and I've got Pat Shortt 's (as Tom on Fr. Ted) face in my mind. Grinning like a loon out the car window.

Muahahaha wrote: »

This is brilliant. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was asked where I was from while putting my son and dog I to the car at a local scenic spot. There were only a couple of people there. They were nice about it. Apparently they were there yesterday as well. Surprising because it's not a particularly busy place.

A friend of mine was stopped today & said that she was on the way to the shop. The Garda asked to see her shopping list. She said that she doesn't write one as she knows what to get. The Garda told her to ensure that she has one in future - she is furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mine was stopped today & said that she was on the way to the shop. The Garda asked to see her shopping list. She said that she doesn't write one as she knows what to get. The Garda told her to ensure that she has one in future - she is furious.

Tell the fascist that she considers it to be a breach of GDPR.

I got stopped on my way home from delivering keys to someone yesterday for a house (see my post on previous page).

I was after having to cross the border for a few minutes and it was when i returned back over the border that I seen the checkpoint (seen it from KMs away as it was a long straight road, and the blue lights were on. Plenty of opportunity to avoid it, had I wanted to).

Garda asked where was I headed, and I told him. He waved me on. Kept his distance. Didn't check ID/Driver's License or discs in the window. Was polite and courteous.

Definitely seemed like more of a show than anything else.

Gob****e face? Like an eager face?

Now I need to know what the headwreckers antics at checkpoints. I'm trying to visualise this and I've got Pat Shortt 's (as Tom on Fr. Ted) face in my mind. Grinning like a loon out the car window.

I'm picturing Ace Ventura, myself.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Tell the fascist that she considers it to be a breach of GDPR.

The joke is that she's a pillar of society & the most compliant person.

Ok so I you want to go to the beach just make sure you bring your shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

How can a Garda check ID and keep distance.

All due respect to Garda - But I don't want them near me, they are as high risk as you get out there.

Fair point.

Stay off the roads then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ok so I you want to go to the beach just make sure you bring your shopping list.

You shouldn't be going to the beach...
    . The whole idea is not to drive anywhere unless absolutely necessary such as shop, fuel or helping bring supplies to a loved one or friend etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There was a checkpoint last 3 days stopping us, it's no big deal they just asked me where I was going and waved me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Next time tell the garda that you are getting the messages.

I would guess that the garda is some power hungry incompetent fool. Unfortunately too many like that in the force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a checkpoint last 3 days stopping us, it's no big deal they just asked me where I was going and waved me on.

I can't see a guard turning many folk back, unless they act the gulpin or say something silly like I'm heading to the beach.

I think they are generally trying to make it inconvenient for people to move around and Drew Harris more or less admitted this on the news last night. If you think to go from A to B might mean sitting in a queue for an hour, you might just stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to the guards I hope they enforce their powers and keep unnecessary journeys off our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to the guards I hope they enforce their powers and keep unnecessary journeys off our roads

I wonder will anyone actually be fined during all this? Or even get jail time?

Edit: I mean for breaking restrictions, not like the mother of 3 who got 28 days for spitting in a guards face.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Next time she should have the list ready to show the guard. No problem then.

You shouldn't be going to the beach...
    . The whole idea is not to drive anywhere unless absolutely necessary such as shop, fuel or helping bring supplies to a loved one or friend etc....

Indeed. I was being ironic. My point was that the shopping list requirement was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

If the lockdown gets extended further past May 5th it will be because of idiots not following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Thats what I used to think but nowthere are no clubs, pubs, and not many kinds of shop for those people to break the rules for. Travelling to see partners or relatives? What's left?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The joke is that she's a pillar of society & the most compliant person.

How is the guard to know that? Or indeed why would he care?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Next time she should have the list ready to show the guard. No problem then.

Why? Sure there is no problem in the first place. Will he arrest her for failing to produce a shopping list????? Imagine that being read out on the charge sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Got asked to show the date on a reciept tonight, I think the guards are just trying to hold up traffic a certain amount.

Advertisement