Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fair play to the Gardai in Trim today, my mother in law had a bad accident early this week so my wife has been popping there and back, only a mile away.

She went up there this afternoon and was stopped as checkpoint right outside her ma's estate, he started chatting to my 3yr old in the back after wife had explained where she was going, she had a paw patrol id badge, he told her that would let her past every time if she showed it.

He then gave out to her as she had a doody (dummy), told her she was too big for that and to get rid, she got home and binned them all beciase the policeman said so , we've been trying for months :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder will anyone actually be fined during all this? Or even get jail time?

They've been told only to use these additional powers as a last resort, anyone who is charged under these new laws will have their case sent to the DPP who in the majority of cases will move to dismiss all charges.

And of course there's always going to be the hardcases, however they can be dealt with using existing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in Dublin beside a popular and large park & beach. The Gardai were outside my house asking were people local parking up on the road (park carparks are closed). They were taking down reg plates.

I'd love if there was a "apartment dwellers weekend only" or something where people close to the park would leave it empty for families that don't have gardens can avail of the amenity but it would be impossible to orchestrate and it would be abused by idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin beside a popular and large park & beach. The Gardai were outside my house asking were people local parking up on the road (park carparks are closed). They were taking down reg plates.
    I'd love if there was a "apartment dwellers weekend only" or something where people close to the park would leave it empty for families that don't have gardens can avail of the amenity but it would be impossible to orchestrate and it would be abused by idiots.

Once they don't engage your services John, could get messy....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Once they don't engage your services John, could get messy....

Backwoods booby traps in the park. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

liamog wrote: »
    Got asked to show the date on a reciept (sic) tonight

I hope you refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

If the lockdown gets extended further past May 5th it will be because of idiots not following the rules.

I disagree. It will be because of idiots accepting the lockdown even though there is absolutely no evidence that it holds any merit whatsoever. In fact the lockdown is pro-death as it will lead to more deaths than COVID-19.

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Haven't seen a check yet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I hope you refused.

In fairness, he asked did it have a date on it, and I said probably, then spent some time trying to find it, for info Tesco put it at the bottom. By then we'd probably used up his quota for time to delay people.

The checkpoint is on the N3 coming into my area so it's going to be a pain. Next time I'm tempted to tell them I'm going to visit my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

Random checkpoints everywhere in my town at all hours and they keep moving location too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Stopped twice today in Waterford. Both just asked where was I going. Told first just finished work and she waved me on, told second I was going home. Neither looked bothered interrogating a single person vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the lockdown gets extended further past May 5th it will be because of idiots not following the rules.

Or those they don't apply to like people travelling in to the country by air and sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I was asked where I was from while putting my son and dog I to the car at a local scenic spot. There were only a couple of people there. They were nice about it. Apparently they were there yesterday as well. Surprising because it's not a particularly busy place.

Not really surprising when you have people driving to places to go for a walk, such as yourself, despite specifically being told not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

fullstop wrote: »
    Not really surprising when you have people driving to places to go for a walk, such as yourself, despite specifically being told not to.

Most scenic spot I was today was in Centra (just a few hundred metres walk). She had a lovely bottom to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

fullstop wrote: »

No the instruction is to stay within 2km. We live on a dangerous road with no footpath. We never bring our kid out of our home on foot because it is not safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Fair point.

Stay off the roads then.

And starve :rolleyes:

Darc19 wrote: »
    Next time tell the garda that you are getting the messages.

I would guess that the garda is some power hungry incompetent fool. Unfortunately too many like that in the force.

In any force there will be some like this. The UK has exposed quite a few now & one force was front page news in the, Tory supporting, Daily Mail. There are youtube videos of Police acting like dicks.

The Gardai have never been helpful & friendly in their approach. This is a new situation where they have been granted huge, unnecessary powers.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't see a guard turning many folk back, unless they act the gulpin or say something silly like I'm heading to the beach.

I think they are generally trying to make it inconvenient for people to move around and Drew Harris more or less admitted this on the news last night. If you think to go from A to B might mean sitting in a queue for an hour, you might just stay home.

Yes & you could be a nurse finishing a 12 hour shift or a Vet on an emergency call, someone getting urgent food shopping, even an Ambulance etc. All of which have been posted on social media.

If you have to cause queues then you need to look at your operating procedure.

If delaying some people with somewhere to go deters people with who shouldn’t be travelling, then it’s all good. I’ll happily sit in an hours queue on my way home from work if it helps stop some filthy tramp heading to a holiday home.

liamog wrote: »
    Got asked to show the date on a reciept tonight, I think the guards are just trying to hold up traffic a certain amount.

So, as well as the shopping list, it's now a requirement to get a receipt. What's the point in contactless paying if you then have to be handed a receipt ? I wonder if some Gardai will be tempted to provoke a response to get an arrest & justify the new laws. If no one is arrested & charged the Commissioner will have to answer why he asked for such stringent laws.

• Advertisement

If delaying some people with somewhere to go deters people with who shouldn’t be travelling, then it’s all good. I’ll happily sit in an hours queue on my way home from work if it helps stop some filthy tramp heading to a holiday home.

Tells us all we need to know :rolleyes:

Discodog wrote: »
    Tells us all we need to know :rolleyes:

Says a lot about anyone that travelled to one indeed. We can only hope that any who slipped through get the brunt of locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The Gardai have never been helpful & friendly in their approach. This is a new situation where they have been granted huge, unnecessary powers.

If you've never come across a helpful or friendly guard then maybe the problem is you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I've been stopped 3 times this week, twice by the same gardai, found absolutely no problem with them, explained where I work, showed them a letter and off I went. While in the queue waiting for check I was surprised to see them speaking to truck drivers as I thought it was obvious what they were doing until I saw on twitter last night a truck driver was arrested as he tested positive for drugs and some were found in the truck. So I guess they are also observing drivers for anything suspicious. So well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

..if it helps stop some filthy tramp heading to a holiday home.

Proof there isn't a homelessness crisis if tramps have 2nd homes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Fair play to the Gardai in Trim today, my mother in law had a bad accident early this week so my wife has been popping there and back, only a mile away.

She went up there this afternoon and was stopped as checkpoint right outside her ma's estate, he started chatting to my 3yr old in the back after wife had explained where she was going, she had a paw patrol id badge, he told her that would let her past every time if she showed it.

He then gave out to her as she had a doody (dummy), told her she was too big for that and to get rid, she got home and binned them all beciase the policeman said so , we've been trying for months :pac::pac:

Can’t beat a good story and little buzz for the kids. These types of Gardaí aren’t talked about enough, their core function is to serve the community. Bet that kid will automatically see Gardaí as friendly from now on. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Was stopped just this morning on my way home from shopping. Well.. twice actually because Einstein here had forgotten his wallet... Last time i was outside it was 8 degrees so wallet was in my coat i wasnt wearing this morning
    Was on a tiny detour with all the windows down. No garden or balcony so after 4 weeks of being locked indoors i needed the wind blowing through my hair. No bother from the Gard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wonder what would happen if a similar situation arose in say Waterford Airport or Weston ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/french-police-turn-back-private-jet-of-holidaymakers-from-uk-1.4226006?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So, as well as the shopping list, it's now a requirement to get a receipt. What's the point in contactless paying if you then have to be handed a receipt ? I wonder if some Gardai will be tempted to provoke a response to get an arrest & justify the new laws. If no one is arrested & charged the Commissioner will have to answer why he asked for such stringent laws.
    Do you not get a headache from all that conspiracy theorising? :confused:

It must be exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wonder what would happen if a similar situation arose in say Waterford Airport or Weston ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/french-police-turn-back-private-jet-of-holidaymakers-from-uk-1.4226006?mode=amp

If they couldn't stop tonnes of cocaine they are hardly going to stop a few rich french tourists

Advertisement