Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some lads always only too willing to find fault even in such a serious time as this.

The hooman roights and Freeman types.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hardly essential retail if you travel from Templeogue to Howth to buy fish

Does it create any more risk of infection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

howiya wrote: »
    Which part of the regulations does it breach?

Sure why not head down to Courtown harbour to buy some fish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Definitely knobbish behaviour all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Discodog wrote: »
    Why is it implausible ? Or is every Garda perfect ? I am sure that a few Garda will use the opportunity to act inappropriately. History shows that, when you give exceptional powers, a few abuse them.

Pity they wouldn't make constant whinging a crime punishable by a long prison sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Garda checkpoint on the R132 Just beside The Coachmans Inn this afternoon.

Garda checkpoint yesterday on the M1 Motorway just before City north Hotel Hotel , Julianstown junction , coned off to 1 lane for checkpoint for Northbound traffic only.

They are out and about and fairly active, good to see it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Anyone who isn’t flouting the restrictions should not be bothered by being stopped. It’s encouraging that it’s happening.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Sure why not head down to Courtown harbour to buy some fish so.

Would that risk any more infection spread than going to the local fishmonger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

What? Of course it would. The same as going to the other side of Dublin would. I was pointing out the idiocy of it to another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Doesn’t matter if it’s breaching regs. Have a bit of common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Discodog wrote: »
    Why is it implausible ? Or is every Garda perfect ? I am sure that a few Garda will use the opportunity to act inappropriately. History shows that, when you give exceptional powers, a few abuse them.
    100% agree.

I had an issue with a particular garda and made a complaint to local supt who took the complaint seriously.

This little pr%:k was at a checkpoint yesterday and I happened to go through it. He decided to ask a few too many questions until I asked if I should ring the supt to get my passage approved and took my phone out to make the call. (he wasn't to know I didn't have the number)

The look on his face was priceless. Pr%+k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Darc19 wrote: »
    100% agree.

I had an issue with a particular garda and made a complaint to local supt who took the complaint seriously.

This little pr%:k was at a checkpoint yesterday and I happened to go through it. He decided to ask a few too many questions until I asked if I should ring the supt to get my passage approved and took my phone out to make the call. (he wasn't to know I didn't have the number)

The look on yours will be priceless when the Super finds out, tracks the reg and pops around for a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

road_high wrote: »
    These essential journey detectives are getting rather tiresome. I can’t wait to get back to a free liberal society without these people sticking their noses in.
    Imagine. The horror of someone going from one part of a city to another to buy food

He probably drove past SuperValu in Templeogue on the way. No reason whatsoever to go to Howth from Templeogue during the current situation.

Unnecessary travel.

Templeogue to Howth is not your "local fishmonger"

Saw an apt slogan today:
    The spread of the virus depends on 2 things:
    1. How dense the population is
    2. How dense the population is

Just stay at home and shop locally if you need food. It really is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

100% agree.

In fairness I was stopped today but was in 2km of my house, was getting petrol at a local service station.

Garda was very polite and spot on, just asked where I lived and what was the purpose for my travel, no issues, I said its good to see you guys out.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/coronavirus-covid-19-.html

kravmaga wrote: »
    In fairness I was stopped today but was in 2km of my house, was getting petrol at a local service station.

Garda was very polite and spot on, just asked where I lived and what was the purpose for my travel, no issues, I said its good to see you guys out.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/coronavirus-covid-19-.html

Gardai only doing their job. And it’s an extremely important one right now. There’ll will always be idiots to find a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kravmaga wrote: »

Were you jogging to the petrol station? Cause the 2km is irrelevant pretty much otherwise.

Strange that he didn't think of prosecuting you for having the phone in your hand while driving (and yes, stopped in traffic is 'while driving').

pablo128 wrote: »
    What? Of course it would. The same as going to the other side of Dublin would. I was pointing out the idiocy of it to another poster.

How exactly does the length of the journey contribute to risk of infection?

If I drive 1km to a fishmonger or 20km to a fishmonger, what difference arises in the risk of infection?

• Advertisement

Strange that he didn't think of prosecuting you for having the phone in your hand while driving (and yes, stopped in traffic is 'while driving').

If I drive 1km to a fishmonger or 20km to a fishmonger, what difference arises in the risk of infection?

Huge difference. But let’s just take it at a very simple level. What happens if you break down?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

11 vehicles seized in Limerick for tax etc but no prosecutions for Covid breaches.

Irish Examiner: Gardaí seize cars and drugs at Covid checkpoints.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-seize-cars-and-drugs-at-covid-checkpoints-993490.html

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

The difference is you risk spreading the virus from a cluster in your area to another brand new area (or vice versa) contributing to more community spread.

Imagine (and I know this isn't possible as not everyone has a supermarket and other essentials nearby, and some people are working and helping others, but just imagine) if EVERYONE stayed within 2km of their home it would be far far easier to identify, isolate and stop community spread which, let's face it, is key to controlling this thing. Obviously everyone can't do this, but if as many of us as possible stay within our local area it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

It's fairly straight forward tbh. Infection from outside your area/region has a good chance of being kept outside

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The look on yours will be priceless when the Super finds out, tracks the reg and pops around for a cup of tea.

Just a hunch but I'd imagine he has slightly more to be doing than playing Miss Marple after a checkpoint. Likely not even mentioned or vaguely remembered by the Gardaí in question, let alone telling tales to his supervisor.
    Some people here have very naïve views of how the world actually works or don't get out very much.

I'm starting to get used to it. The current hiatus could be a beneficial presage for policing problem areas. We have a pandemic of crime in this country - it is not being fully acknowledged nor dealt with. So saturation measures of the type we're seeing in problem areas could really put to boot into the bollocks of the scum in this country.

Yes agreed it must be a mini nightmare for our crime orientated brethren. It is good from that point of view for sure.

Huge difference. But let’s just take it at a very simple level. What happens if you break down?

You call the breakdown truck - whether you're 2km or 20km away - you call the breakdown truck. What difference does the distance make?

The difference is you risk spreading the virus from a cluster in your area to another brand new area (or vice versa) contributing to more community spread.

Imagine (and I know this isn't possible as not everyone has a supermarket and other essentials nearby, and some people are working and helping others, but just imagine) if EVERYONE stayed within 2km of their home it would be far far easier to identify, isolate and stop community spread which, let's face it, is key to controlling this thing. Obviously everyone can't do this, but if as many of us as possible stay within our local area it will help.

How do you spread the virus on a solo cycle?

If it is so important that people stay close to home, why isn't there a 2km, or even a 5km limit for shopping in the regulations? Why does the limit only apply to exercise?

You call the breakdown truck - whether you're 2km or 20km away - you call the breakdown truck. What difference does the distance make?

How do you spread the virus on a solo cycle?

If it is so important that people stay close to home, why isn't there a 2km, or even a 5km limit for shopping in the regulations? Why does the limit only apply to exercise?

And now you are risking spreading the disease 10 times as far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

road_high wrote: »
    Just a hunch but I'd imagine he has slightly more to be doing than playing Miss Marple after a checkpoint. Likely not even mentioned or vaguely remembered by the Gardaí in question, let alone telling tales to his supervisor.
    Some people here have very naïve views of how the world actually works or don't get out very much.

I don't get out very much.

• Advertisement

Lots of areas can be 20-30 km from the nearest supermarket, especially in rural areas. Yes, there may be a small Centra of Spar or similar but many would still have to go to the nearest bigger town for shopping in a Dunnes or Aldi/Lidl for proper shopping. Some of my family would definitely be over 10 kms from the nearest shop or supermarket, especially true in the farming community.

Advertisement