Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Why, would that be bad for their health or something?

Restricting exercise is bad for health btw.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52076856?fbclid=IwAR2fNzHqCa5pszTiUXkENU0URMfiZ53eW_RWLYskzsOEFLgepxfo81rDvmI

Maybe you want to eat takeaway pizza , I see no point in restricting arbitrarily people to local shops irrespective of their location

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I read that guards can fine €2500 or maybe prison to people who break the lockdown guidelines ,

Is there a lower fine does anyone know ? Or is it either a €2500 or no fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Juwwi wrote: »
    I read that guards can fine €2500 or maybe prison to people who break the lockdown guidelines ,

Its up to that amount. It's the judge who would choose that.

Chances of any of these cases going to court are nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

road_high wrote: »
    Same. A few friendly polite questions. Show them a work letter I have every time and it’s fine. But I wouldn’t fancy the grief of non essential journeys. Not worth it in my opinion.
    M9 motorway is very heavily policed. Large Diversion off at J5 for checkpoint. Wonder what would happen if you were off down to the holiday home in Wexford or Waterford with the car packed up??? Will they force you to turn around??
    I'm sure they probably would, but anyone selfish enough to try it would most likely just head for the backroads anyway. I notice a lot of places in our estate in darkness tonight, where there are usually people there every night, can only assume they've gone off down the country somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Juwwi wrote: »

I doubt it. Would say it could be challenged in all manner of ways. It’s goodwill the Gardai are primarily relying on.
    But they’ll go to town in other ways if in doubt ie car not taxed as the laws are much more enforceable that way. Previous poster mentioned lots of cars being impounded for same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Darc19 wrote: »
    100% agree.

I had an issue with a particular garda and made a complaint to local supt who took the complaint seriously.

This little pr%:k was at a checkpoint yesterday and I happened to go through it. He decided to ask a few too many questions until I asked if I should ring the supt to get my passage approved and took my phone out to make the call. (he wasn't to know I didn't have the number)

The look on his face was priceless. Pr%+k.

So you used your mobile phone while behind the wheel in front of a Garda to try to act the big man? Suuuure you did.

I doubt it. Would say it could be challenged in all manner of ways. It’s goodwill the Gardai are primarily relying on.
    But they’ll go to town in other ways if in doubt ie car not taxed as the laws are much more enforceable that way. Previous poster mentioned lots of cars being impounded for same

It's law. Plain and simple. Arrest and upto 2500 fine/ 6 months imprisonment.

Unlikely to be utilised if it's possible to avoid doing so but it does exist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Are they bothering within Dublin City at all? I've made four necessary trips to Crumlin and the South City Centre from North Dublin and nothing.

Its up to that amount. It's the judge who would choose that.

Chances of any of these cases going to court are nil.

Probable but it's still a bit of a snag in your plans to be arrested and sitting in a cell instead of just sticking to the back garden

dsmythy wrote: »
    Are they bothering within Dublin City at all? I've made four necessary trips to Crumlin and the South City Centre from North Dublin and nothing.

Yep they are.
    I have to work, frontline worker myself, I have been stopped at checkpoints allover the city for the last week.
    7am, 4pm & 9.30pm
    So they are there.
    Can't be everywhere obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It's law. Plain and simple. Arrest and upto 2500 fine/ 6 months imprisonment.

Unlikely to be utilised if it's possible to avoid doing so but it does exist

My local super doesn’t expect anyone to be charged per se , people are just turned around and told to go home

One of the local checkpoints had armed police

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Wonder what would happen if you say complied with the instructions, turned around then came off the motorway again and proceeded to make your way via some back roads? Such is the level of checkpoints I’ve seen it’s hugely likely they’d be stopped again, wonder would there be a tougher consequences other than turn them around again?

Apparently there's been plenty of checkpoints on back roads as well, some of them set up precisely for the reason that you mention.
    I'd imagine that any of those caught in this scenario would be the prime candidates for fines if they were identified.

100% agree.

I had an issue with a particular garda and made a complaint to local supt who took the complaint seriously.

This little pr%:k was at a checkpoint yesterday and I happened to go through it. He decided to ask a few too many questions until I asked if I should ring the supt to get my passage approved and took my phone out to make the call. (he wasn't to know I didn't have the number)

The super doesn't handle complaints, gsoc does. The super CANNOT take direct complaints from the public and if he was fool enough to go after a guard because of a mate'being stopped at a checkpoint, he's a very silly super.

I have had people threaten to call a lot higher than a local super, it's not nearly as scary as you seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

dsmythy wrote: »

They've been all over Dublin 6 and Dublin 12 the last week or so. I've seen at least four or five road blocks in Kimmage and Crumlin. Pretty much every time I go out

BoatMad wrote: »
    My local super doesn’t expect anyone to be charged per se , people are just turned around and told to go home

One of the local checkpoints had armed police

Correct. If you comply with the instruction then all is well.

It's not Nazi Germany just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    They've been all over Dublin 6 and Dublin 12 the last week or so. I've seen at least four or five road blocks in Kimmage and Crumlin. Pretty much every time I go out

I guess I've been lucky/unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

100% agree.

You did in your hole. Keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You did in your hole. Keyboard warrior.

Why? I've made serveral complaints myself over the years about AGS members and their behaviour.

Gardai do not suddenly become perfect ot immune from criticism when they get the badge, and just as in all walks of life, some will just be dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Why? I've made serveral complaints myself over the years about AGS members and their behaviour.

Gardai do not suddenly become perfect ot immune from criticism when they get the badge, and just as in all walks of life, some will just be dicks.

I’d say I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to talk to a guard in the last 10 years. But you have had reason to make several complaints. How much interaction do you have with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I’d say I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to talk to a guard in the last 10 years. But you have had reason to make several complaints. How much interaction do you have with them?

It's not an everyday occurence by any stretch, and most Gardai are anywhere between OK and decent.. but you will get the ones who need a reminder that they (as the commisioner said himself recently) are there to serve the peoople.

One of the more recent ones involved an unmarked i40 on the way to Dublin one morning who was tailgating and intimidating drivers out of his way in busy morning traffic at motorway speeds.

Managed to track the car through Dublin Castle back to the station it was assigned to and spoke to the Sargeant who in fairness was disgusted and confirmed there was certainly no reason for it from his perspective. End result was the guy was made pull in and apologise.

You probably won't believe that of course, but I for one was very impressed with the response in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pablo128 wrote: »
    It's called common sense, and is why the lad on his way to howth was turned back. Do you realise it's people like you looking for loopholes is the reason there are checkpoints everywhere?

I think some people are just not getting the spirit of the rules. Ive been cooking a lot more lately and have always been meaning to make a bouillabaisse but to do that I need fish bones and heads to make fish stock first. I could easily conceive of a 60km trip to Howth as being necessary because its the only place I know that I can get fish bones and heads, the fishmongers in Tesco dont have them. But actually doing so would be just dumb really. Not just dumb, pretty selfish in the grand scheme of things.

Its the same with Tesco for me, I've Supervale, Dunnes and Aldi 10km away but my nearest Tesco is 20km away. I could easily justify a 40km round trip to Tesco as just shopping for essential food but I dont because there is nothing in there that I cant do without. Its very simple, dont be a dick, but some people want to go out of their way to be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

100% agree.

##Only one prick here id suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I could easily conceive of a 60km trip to Howth as being necessary because its the only place I know that I can get fish bones and heads, the fishmongers in Tesco dont have them.

They have them in Supervalu. You've to buy the whole fish to get them though.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If it is so important that people stay close to home, why isn't there a 2km, or even a 5km limit for shopping in the regulations? Why does the limit only apply to exercise?

Because shops are not uniformly distributed throughout the country.

You can exercise by skipping in your living room.

But then, you already know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Gardai having an absolute laugh saying the vast majority of people are obeying the restrictions. Have they seen the city center? They havent because they are nowhere to be found. Absolute joke.

Whoever forms a new government - their first call of action should be to remove anyone even remotely involved with gardai decision making and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Yea I agree. My nearest shop is 10km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

endacl wrote: »
    They have them in Supervalu. You've to buy the whole fish to get them though.

:)

Fishmongers at the bottom of Meath St. as you head into the Coombe. You might have to ask in advance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can exercise by skipping in your living room.

But then, you already know this.

Just like pavements are not uniformly distributed around the country, yeah? Outdoor exercise is permitted, even encouraged - but why put a geographical restriction on exercise, but not shopping? If geographic movement is significant, why not require people to go to their nearest shop? You'll stay alive on the output of any shop. It might not be your favourite foods, but it won't kill ya.

Cyclists are definitely showing how low they really are out there these days, though not surprising from a group that think rules don’t apply to them the rest of the time either. They’re easily up there with the weekend holidaymakers in all this but they seem to be getting a free pass from the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cyclists are definitely showing how low they really are out there these days, though not surprising from a group that think rules don’t apply to them the rest of the time either. They’re easily up there with the weekend holidaymakers in all this but they seem to be getting a free pass from the Gardai.

Why does somebody cycling a bike rattle you so much?

Advertisement