Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Had a look at the garda twitter feed yesterday, it's seems they are finding alot more than stray shoppers at the moment, Dodgy tax, insurance discs, NCT's well expired, one car last taxed 5600 days ago, cocaine, illegal cigarettes, even unlicensed guns in clare, I doubt social distancing was used in detecting any of these offences but hard to argue the need for such checkpoints

Well the people who are driving around without insurance/tax/NCT/licence knowing full well there are checkpoints in force are what i would class as brainless idiots. Talk about being a dope. They are more likely to get caught more than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Discodog wrote: »
    Then they should of used this as the reason for asking for blanket checkpoints.

I dont see them having the resources to do it. On a normal day they wouldnt have the numbers to man them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So fair in summary this thread is only

People grinding their axe about the Gardaí.

People grinding their axe about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

alta stare wrote: »
    I dont see them having the resources to do it. On a normal day they wouldnt have the numbers to man them.

No & no Government would authorise it. Operation Fanach ends on Monday unless the Gardai extend it. It was specifically for preventing people travelling over the Easter weekend. It will be interesting to see how the Gardai operate after Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Don't forget joggers :pac:
    99% here support any Garda action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Garda were out in force yesterday on four roads into a roundabout

The female plainclothes garda I dealt with was very nice.
    Asked me how my day was, was I heading home. I asked how things were going, she said she'd prefer to be off enjoying the good weather herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hah yeah boards has an unhealthy dislike of cyclists bizarrely it focuses a lot on the clothing, which people seem to be particularly fixated on almost to fetish levels . Some people even feel they have the right to harass cyclists, even if they happen to be health care workers https://irishcycle.com/2020/04/11/witnesses-sought-after-healthcare-worker-cycling-home-in-dublin-shouted-at-and-followed/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Had a look at the garda twitter feed yesterday, it's seems they are finding alot more than stray shoppers at the moment, Dodgy tax, insurance discs, NCT's well expired, one car last taxed 5600 days ago, cocaine, illegal cigarettes, even unlicensed guns in clare, I doubt social distancing was used in detecting any of these offences but hard to argue the need for such checkpoints

It's amazing what they can do now that the chippers are closed (joke)

But seriously they are finally doing their job, I've seen them actually walking the beat, not in 20 years have I seen that, let's hope they aren't making it up now

They should do most of the tax NCT etc enforcement with cameras really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Also what is up with the big feckin jackets on when it's splitting the stones, they really need a new uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I've passed a good few on my route to and from work over the last week,I think they are doing great, offered them some bottled water in a sealed multipack but he couldn't take them he said because they aren't allowed take gifts, he did want too though, they had sanitizer on a bollard for themselves but none had masks of any kind,it's a bit mad not having them on the frontline dealing with hundreds of people.

I'm frontline and have them and sanitizers and gloves, useless gloves ,sweat like fcuk , dangerous for driving.

This thing is not certain to not be simply airborne and catchable far easier,look how many health workers have died, gotten sick,and the strain that causes, imagine if a good chunk of law enforcement had to self isolate for weeks or longer over the coming months,bit mad not to have masks.

No I'm not a guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

In hospitals in Lombardy a viral load built up in the air in the covid wards. I suppose that counts as airborne?

Bit frightening to be in a role like theirs all day, under-equipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It is reprehensible of the government not to "arm" our Gardai with masks.
    The height of insanity; especially when virologists have confirmed that Covid-19 can be transmitted by talking to somebody.
    This is what the Gardai do all day at these checkpoints.

The HSE and Irish government will have a lot to answer for about their mask policy when this pandemic subsides.
    Appalling stance by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Hah yeah boards has an unhealthy dislike of cyclists bizarrely it focuses a lot on the clothing, which people seem to be particularly fixated on almost to fetish levels . Some people even feel they have the right to harass cyclists, even if they happen to be health care workers https://irishcycle.com/2020/04/11/witnesses-sought-after-healthcare-worker-cycling-home-in-dublin-shouted-at-and-followed/

The inconvenience of having to slow down momentarily and overtake another road user really does make some people’s blood boil.

Instead of targeting their anger at the designers of poor infrastructure that forces cyclist to SHARE the road with cars a small few people are unable to handle their road rage at the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, let me be absolutely clear that I'm not advocating for anyone to break the current legal guidelines. I don't think I have advocated for this. If I have, please point it out, and I'll be glad to retract or rephrase or clarify of whatever.

They should really be a bit embarrassed that it takes something like this to achieve any reasonable degree of compliance with the basics of traffic law. Somebody has been driving around for ten years without being checked for tax?

alta stare wrote: »
    Well the people who are driving around without insurance/tax/NCT/licence knowing full well there are checkpoints in force are what i would class as brainless idiots. Talk about being a dope. They are more likely to get caught more than ever before.

This frequently comes up on the Garda Twitter posts - how they stopped some eejit for using their phone or speeding, and they find that they've no licence or tax or insurance (or all three). The idiots don't seem to have the brain power to just keep their heads down and avoid attention.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's not an everyday occurence by any stretch, and most Gardai are anywhere between OK and decent.. but you will get the ones who need a reminder that they (as the commisioner said himself recently) are there to serve the peoople.

One of the more recent ones involved an unmarked i40 on the way to Dublin one morning who was tailgating and intimidating drivers out of his way in busy morning traffic at motorway speeds.

Managed to track the car through Dublin Castle back to the station it was assigned to and spoke to the Sargeant who in fairness was disgusted and confirmed there was certainly no reason for it from his perspective. End result was the guy was made pull in and apologise.

You probably won't believe that of course, but I for one was very impressed with the response in that case.

Another slightly confusing story - are you saying in busy morning traffic (which probably means outside office hours) you managed to get through to somebody in Dublin Castle AND then somebody at the relevant station who then managed to call the driver to get them to pull over and apologise to you?

How did you get a phone number for Dublin Castle and for the local station while you were driving? How did you know where he was pulled over for you to get your apology?

This smells off.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think some people are just not getting the spirit of the rules. Ive been cooking a lot more lately and have always been meaning to make a bouillabaisse but to do that I need fish bones and heads to make fish stock first. I could easily conceive of a 60km trip to Howth as being necessary because its the only place I know that I can get fish bones and heads, the fishmongers in Tesco dont have them. But actually doing so would be just dumb really. Not just dumb, pretty selfish in the grand scheme of things.

Its the same with Tesco for me, I've Supervale, Dunnes and Aldi 10km away but my nearest Tesco is 20km away. I could easily justify a 40km round trip to Tesco as just shopping for essential food but I dont because there is nothing in there that I cant do without. Its very simple, dont be a dick, but some people want to go out of their way to be a dick.

The spirit of the rules don't stop you going to Tesco 20km away. Going to Tesco 20km away does nothing more to spread infection that going to your local Supervalu 5km away. The problem arises if you go to Supervalu today, then Tesco tomorrow to top up, then Lidl on Tuesday to get that nice muesli that you like. If you're doing multiple shopping trips when you could just do one, that goes against the spirit of the rules.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Gardai having an absolute laugh saying the vast majority of people are obeying the restrictions. Have they seen the city center? They havent because they are nowhere to be found. Absolute joke.

Whoever forms a new government - their first call of action should be to remove anyone even remotely involved with gardai decision making and management.

Just how many layers of Garda management should be removed, in your opinion - the Assistant Commissioners? the Chief Supts? - who do you think is going to replace them?

Cyclists are definitely showing how low they really are out there these days, though not surprising from a group that think rules don’t apply to them the rest of the time either. They’re easily up there with the weekend holidaymakers in all this but they seem to be getting a free pass from the Gardai.

It's always good to get lectures on how rules don't apply to cyclists when we have 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits and the majority of drivers using their phones while driving.

Agreed, nearly got mowed down several times while walking in my local park by them whizzing past. Would it kill them to ring their bell!!

They really shouldn't be cycling in the park. I noticed a couple in Marlay Park last week. Personally, I'd have been much happier cycling out on the adjacent roads rather than inside the park.

But actually, using the bell isn't always a great solution either. When on shared paths/cycle lanes when people walk into the cycle section, I find that sometimes the use of the bell causes a bit of a panic reaction and people can end up going any direction as a result. Sometimes it's better just to not alert the person and get past them before they've noticed that you even exist.

So you won’t believe anything that doesn’t suit you?

Pairs of cyclists should be stopped and asked if they live under the same roof and how close their home is. The same as walkers.

But not drivers? Same interrogation to all pairs in cars would be great, wouldn't it?

Is there always a SMALL minority that won’t obey the regulations? Sure there is and that minority exists in all elements - car drivers speeding, people having parties in current times, cyclists out in groups.
    When it comes to motorists, it is a SMALL minority that DO obey the regulations, as confirmed by the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits.

The longer drive increases the chance of having an accident too.
    Interesting approach - so presumably you'd be in favour of just telling people not to drive at all, where possible - to walk to their local shop and carry home what they need or bring a little trolley with them. That would be a great way to reduce the chances of having a accident crash.

Any midlife male in spandex is a lost cause frankly.

This says so much more about you than anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Kivaro wrote: »
    It is reprehensible of the government not to "arm" our Gardai with masks.
    The height of insanity; especially when virologists have confirmed that Covid-19 can be transmitted by talking to somebody.
    This is what the Gardai do all day at these checkpoints.

The HSE and Irish government will have a lot to answer for about their mask policy when this pandemic subsides.
    Appalling stance by them.

Why attack the Hse here ? You realise we are all still working harder than ever trying to play our part ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sickens me to see videos of these idiots recording the stops and challenging the gardai about what legislation they have. The same vermin that harassed them during the water meter installations.

I got stopped twice yesterday, its friendly, asking you is your journey essential and are you aware of the restrictions. Its not a lie detector test or interrogation, they expect people to be truthful. Its not a check on your nct and tax.

Why attack the Hse here ? You realise we are all still working harder than ever trying to play our part ?
    It is the HSE who are advocating and indeed pushing the no-mask policy.
    This policy is incorrect and will cost lives; including the lives of front line workers. That is the reality of their decision on masks.

Kivaro wrote: »
    It is the HSE who are advocating and indeed pushing the no-mask policy.
    This policy is incorrect and will cost lives; including the lives of front line workers. That is the reality of their decision on masks.

Masks make very little difference so I can’t agree.

However big the difference, a mask is better than no mask. They’re for others and not the wearer anyway.

However big the difference, a mask is better than no mask. They’re for others and not the wearer anyway.

Very little difference honestly, social distancing is the real key, and then bed space and ventilators. I’m in the hse not in the front line but essential service and I can tell you the wheels are turning as normal apart from the usual % of weak staff who use any excuse to get ‘sick leave’

• Advertisement

Very little difference honestly, social distancing is the real key, and then bed space and ventilators. I’m in the hse not in the front line but essential service and I can tell you the wheels are turning as normal apart from the usual % of weak staff who use any excuse to get ‘sick leave’

I don’t think you have any more of a clue of the difference than I have.

I don’t think you have any more of a clue of the difference than I have.

Just what I’ve read and heard from the experts so yes probably the same as you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another slightly confusing story - are you saying in busy morning traffic (which probably means outside office hours) you managed to get through to somebody in Dublin Castle AND then somebody at the relevant station who then managed to call the driver to get them to pull over and apologise to you?

Yep. It's amazing what can be done with a few phone calls and a bit of persistence.

Was just before 9am on the M7 so anyone who drives that will know it's a busy route with lots of bottlenecks and a generally constant stream of traffic in both lanes the closer you get to Dublin.
    How did you get a phone number for Dublin Castle and for the local station while you were driving? How did you know where he was pulled over for you to get your apology?

This smells off.

After watching him trying to get into my back seat and veering over the centre line for a minute or two, I found a spot to slot into the other lane, and let the guy ahead of me, then pulled back out behind him and noted the reg. He was going nowhere fast but was still trying to bully his way through the traffic.

Call to directory enquiries (saved on phone plus Bluetooth kit and steering wheel controls) got me Dublin Castle where the nice guy I got was somewhat unsure if he should gave me the district station but did in the end.

Another call gave me the local station. By this stage I'd caught up with the guy again at the Newlands Cross flyover which was at a crawl (plus white D-reg i40 estates are easy to spot if you try).

His sergeant promised to call him which I saw happen through the back window of his car. Got a call back a minute later saying he had told the guy to pull in at the next garage for a word.

Which he did. Brief but polite exchange of views where he acknowledged that tailgating and aggressive driving isn't a good idea especially in a squad car (where generally people will panic and drop anchor every time it appears in the mirror = potential instant pile up), he apologised, we shook hands and went on our way.

Sargeant then called me again to ask if I wanted to lodge a formal complaint but I left it at that as I was extremely impressed with his response and help - something that I passed on to district later (it's important to call out that sort of thing too).

Again, I don't expect you to take my word for it as we're both just anonymous posters on a forum but that's the story. Gardai aren't infallible or perfect just because they have a certain job.
    Most of the time they're fine and you both get on with your day, but occasionally you need to call one out on something, which no one should be afraid to do if it's a legitimate complaint. If anything I'd think the majority would welcome such action as those individuals make their own jobs harder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep. It's amazing what can be done with a few phone calls and a bit of persistence.

Was just before 9am on the M7 so anyone who drives that will know it's a busy route with lots of bottlenecks and a generally constant stream of traffic in both lanes the closer you get to Dublin.

After watching him trying to get into my back seat and veering over the centre line for a minute or two, I found a spot to slot into the other lane, and let the guy ahead of me, then pulled back out behind him and noted the reg. He was going nowhere fast but was still trying to bully his way through the traffic.

Call to directory enquiries (saved on phone plus Bluetooth kit and steering wheel controls) got me Dublin Castle where the nice guy I got was somewhat unsure if he should gave me the district station but did in the end.

Another call gave me the local station. By this stage I'd caught up with the guy again at the Newlands Cross flyover which was at a crawl (plus white D-reg i40 estates are easy to spot if you try).

His sergeant promised to call him which I saw happen through the back window of his car. Got a call back a minute later saying he had told the guy to pull in at the next garage for a word.

Which he did. Brief but polite exchange of views where he acknowledged that tailgating and aggressive driving isn't a good idea especially in a squad car (where generally people will panic and drop anchor every time it appears in the mirror = potential instant pile up), he apologised, we shook hands and went on our way.

Sargeant then called me again to ask if I wanted to lodge a formal complaint but I left it at that as I was extremely impressed with his response and help - something that I passed on to district later (it's important to call out that sort of thing too).

Again, I don't expect you to take my word for it as we're both just anonymous posters on a forum but that's the story. Gardai aren't infallible or perfect just because they have a certain job.
    Most of the time they're fine and you both get on with your day, but occasionally you need to call one out on something, which no one should be afraid to do if it's a legitimate complaint. If anything I'd think the majority would welcome such action as those individuals make their own jobs harder too.

You should report him again for shaking hands with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yester wrote: »
    You should report him again for shaking hands with you.

This was pre-covid so all good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My friend’s was stopped 4 times on his way to work. His job normally involves driving to client sites but vast majority of work stopped. However a state contract that is considered essential so him need to travel from the Dublin suburbs to the city centre. (He wasn’t given a letter though, I thought companies were obliged to do this?)

First checkpoint he told the Garda the truth and said the Garda was incredibly difficult and challenged the nature of the contact. (It’s not indirectly related to the healthcare crisis and deemed necessary). He was kept for a few minutes and then eventually sent on his way. He encountered 3 more checkpoints and didn’t fancy the same thing occurring so told them he was on his way to a chemist. They waved him on no problem without asking where he lived etc.

He flagged it with his employer who in turn flagged it to the state. (It was a state contract)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Also what is up with the big feckin jackets on when it's splitting the stones, they really need a new uniform

Some are quite light and the ones that are navy with Garda in yellow are armed.

So you will have to disagree with virologists, other medical professionals, and various other organisations and countries all around the world who say masks are essential to help stop the spread of this virus.
    Covid-19 can be spread by just talking to someone who has it.
    And you say masks make very little difference?

That is an astounding statement from an HSE worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm frontline and have them and sanitizers and gloves, useless gloves ,sweat like fcuk , dangerous for driving.
    This thing is not certain to not be simply airborne and catchable far easier,look how many health workers have died, gotten sick,and the strain that causes, imagine if a good chunk of law enforcement had to self isolate for weeks or longer over the coming months,bit mad not to have masks.
    No I'm not a guard.

Yeah was surprised also no masks and they are available - if pricey e.g. local chemists selling them for €2 each.

A tip re: disposable gloves, they used to be 'powdered' to soak up the sweat but this was causing allergic reactions in some and also caused issues with wound sterilisation during medical exams.
    As long as the above doesn't apply, sprinkle some baby powder into them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

faceman wrote: »
    My friend’s was stopped 4 times on his way to work. His job normally involves driving to client sites but vast majority of work stopped. However a state contract that is considered essential so him need to travel from the Dublin suburbs to the city centre. (He wasn’t given a letter though, I thought companies were obliged to do this?)

First checkpoint he told the Garda the truth and said the Garda was incredibly difficult and challenged the nature of the contact. (It’s not indirectly related to the healthcare crisis and deemed necessary). He was kept for a few minutes and then eventually sent on his way. He encountered 3 more checkpoints and didn’t fancy the same thing occurring so told them he was on his way to a chemist. They waved him on no problem without asking where he lived etc.

He flagged it with his employer who in turn flagged it to the state. (It was a state contract)

A Garda is not a contract manager. Your friend can't get a letter?

Advertisement