Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A Garda is not a contract manager. Your friend can't get a letter?

Yeah I told him to get a letter in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Kivaro wrote: »
    So you will have to disagree with virologists, other medical professionals, and various other organisations and countries all around the world who say masks are essential to help stop the spread of this virus.
    Covid-19 can be spread by just talking to someone who has it.
    And you say masks make very little difference?

That is an astounding statement from an HSE worker.

Isn’t the issue the lack of competency with using them though? People don’t really know how to put them on and take them off and also for people using reusable ones they aren’t sanitising between uses etc.

Also masks aren’t really affective when people are outdoors given the virus can transmit through the eyes and tiny virus particulars can penetrate some masks.

But still better than no mask and essential for healthcare workers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

faceman wrote: »
    Isn’t the issue the lack of competency with using them though? People don’t really know how to put them on and take them off and also for people using reusable ones they aren’t sanitising between uses etc.

Also masks aren’t really affective when people are outdoors given the virus can transmit through the eyes and tiny virus particulars can penetrate some masks.

But still better than no mask and essential for healthcare workers

This is exactly the point, they make very little difference, social distancing and hand washing is still the best form of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My friend’s was stopped 4 times on his way to work. His job normally involves driving to client sites but vast majority of work stopped. However a state contract that is considered essential so him need to travel from the Dublin suburbs to the city centre. (He wasn’t given a letter though, I thought companies were obliged to do this?)

First checkpoint he told the Garda the truth and said the Garda was incredibly difficult and challenged the nature of the contact. (It’s not indirectly related to the healthcare crisis and deemed necessary). He was kept for a few minutes and then eventually sent on his way. He encountered 3 more checkpoints and didn’t fancy the same thing occurring so told them he was on his way to a chemist. They waved him on no problem without asking where he lived etc.

He flagged it with his employer who in turn flagged it to the state. (It was a state contract)

Well he needs to sort a letter ASAP then and have it with him That's what I've done albeit travel is almost non existent now.
    His employer should have no problem doing that, takes a few mins. Or even do one up himself on company headed paper. If he needs to travel for work he needs to and should be no problem with that. Without a letter or some sort of proof it's hard for a Garda to differentiate what is legitimate and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

rob316 wrote: »
    Sickens me to see videos of these idiots recording the stops and challenging the gardai about what legislation they have. The same vermin that harassed them during the water meter installations.

I got stopped twice yesterday, its friendly, asking you is your journey essential and are you aware of the restrictions. Its not a lie detector test or interrogation, they expect people to be truthful. Its not a check on your nct and tax.

The Gardai's own twitter says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We wouldn’t need Garda checkpoints at all if people did what they were told for the betterment of the human race.
    Instead they question everything and try to outwit the people who are trying to save lives and to ridicule the medical professionals who recommend ways to try and beat the virus.
    For God’s sake there’s need to try and prove yourselves all the time and talk about your rights being denied.
    Stay at home unless it’s urgent and save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

photos of gardai leaning in closer then 2 metres and footage of a checkpoint one rte news yesterday, somebody handing a letter to garda and presumably taking it back and using it again, how many people will get coronavirus at these check points?

photos of gardai leaning in closer then 2 metres and footage of a checkpoint one rte news yesterday, somebody handing a letter to garda and presumably taking it back and using it again, how many people will coronavirus at these check points?

Letter should be stuck up on the dash.

Letter should be stuck up on the dash.

That’s what sensible people do. Or hold it up to window for Garda to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Covid-19 can be spread by just talking to someone who has it.
    And you say masks make very little difference?

That is an astounding statement from an HSE worker.

A mod in the running forum claims you have to cough into someone’s mouth to catch it.

Very concerning when people are demonstrating these levels of ignorance and worse still when they go on to spread it as misinformation.

• Advertisement

My friend’s was stopped 4 times on his way to work. His job normally involves driving to client sites but vast majority of work stopped. However a state contract that is considered essential so him need to travel from the Dublin suburbs to the city centre. (He wasn’t given a letter though, I thought companies were obliged to do this?)

First checkpoint he told the Garda the truth and said the Garda was incredibly difficult and challenged the nature of the contact. (It’s not indirectly related to the healthcare crisis and deemed necessary). He was kept for a few minutes and then eventually sent on his way. He encountered 3 more checkpoints and didn’t fancy the same thing occurring so told them he was on his way to a chemist. They waved him on no problem without asking where he lived etc.

He flagged it with his employer who in turn flagged it to the state. (It was a state contract)

Your friends own fault for not having the proper documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Covid-19 can be spread by just talking to someone who has it

You would want to be extremely unlucky to catch it from just talking to someone. The chances are miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/a-small-town-lockdown-we-are-all-drinking-much-more-now-at-home-1.4226191

Not great for a journalist to be openly admitting to telling 2 versions of the truth to different Gardaí is it? And stopping in Mountrath and Nenagh and talking to many. Yes, we need reporting but this reads all wrong.

As far as I can see, all over the country people are making exceptions for themselves. Drive by party greetings for little girls reported by RTE (more sentimental nonsense while hundreds suffer in hospital) and quite clearly on Facebook a load of consumerist mothers thinking that's just the trick for my young princess too.

God help the patience of any Garda in a small town. Same adrenaline junkie mothers flying in and out of estates all day long doing, no doubt, necessary deeds like helping old folk. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Discodog wrote: »
    The Gardai's own twitter says otherwise.

Well if you’re a big enough idiot to drive without everything in order when you know full well you’ll likely meet a checkpoint, then you’re an idiot and deserve all you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A mod in the running forum claims you have to cough into someone’s mouth to catch it.

Very concerning when people are demonstrating these levels of ignorance and worse still when they go on to spread it as misinformation.

People who run, or cycle, tend to be like Isis members. Putting the mental into fundamentalist. Nothing will stop their training schedule. Facts, or social mores be damned.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    People who run, or cycle, tend to be like Isis members. Putting the mental into fundamentalist. Nothing will stop their training schedule. Facts, or social mores be damned.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I live in Clontarf and this area was disgracefully and disgustingly FULL of people yesterday afternoon, picnic time and people just EVERYWHERE, Garda was stopping us eg me in the car on Clontarf road when I went to shop around the corner and back home, but they did NOTHING about these people everywhere on the Clontarf Road seafront..

go figure

edit: btw garda officer leaned towards my car window and forgot to say they had no face mask nor anything else, just fckn terrible all together

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I haven't run in almost a month :(

I haven't run in almost a month :(

You are probably still ISIS! :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    Well if you’re a big enough idiot to drive without everything in order when you know full well you’ll likely meet a checkpoint, then you’re an idiot and deserve all you get.

Not the point. I wonder if the Garda Commissioner mentioned tax & nct when he sought the additional powers ?

Or discussed the risk to the public & his officers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Lavinia wrote: »
    I live in Clontarf and this area was disgracefully and disgustingly FULL of people yesterday afternoon, picnic time and people just EVERYWHERE, Garda was stopping us eg me in the car on Clontarf road when I went to shop around the corner and back home, but they did NOTHING about these people everywhere on the Clontarf Road seafront..

go figure

They did nothing while you were watching.

They were, in fact, stopping people and dispersing people near the wooden bridge yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

photos of gardai leaning in closer then 2 metres and footage of a checkpoint one rte news yesterday, somebody handing a letter to garda and presumably taking it back and using it again, how many people will get coronavirus at these check points?
    Noticed that yesterday too, and it was a head scratcher.
    It is defeating the purpose of spread avoidance, and it is obvious that Gardai need training with this.
    Unless the Guard takes off their gloves each time after handling a document, then they are now a source of virus spread.

The correct procedure would be to show the document through the passenger window or front dash, and if the Garda needs to examine it further then he/she will have to change their gloves after the examination.
    Watching a Garda yesterday handling a document and returning it to the car occupant after a cursory check, and then doing the same with the next car occupant is bad/dangerous practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lavinia wrote: »
    I live in Clontarf and this area was disgracefully and disgustingly FULL of people yesterday afternoon, picnic time and people just EVERYWHERE, Garda was stopping us eg me in the car on Clontarf road when I went to shop around the corner and back home, but they did NOTHING about these people everywhere on the Clontarf Road seafront..go figure
    edit: btw garda officer leaned towards my car window and forgot to say they had no face mask nor anything else, just fckn terrible all together

The Gardai were probably too busy stopping all the cars which people use for driving 2 mins around the corner?

The correct procedure would be to show the document through the passenger window or front dash, and if the Garda needs to examine it further then he/she will have to change their gloves after the examination.
    Watching a Garda yesterday handling a document and returning it to the car occupant after a cursory check, and then doing the same with the next car occupant is bad/dangerous practice.

If the document was an email on an iPhone then a Garda may have to come closer to see it?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If the document was an email on an iPhone then a Garda may have to come closer to see it?

Plus it's so easy to generate a fake letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not the point. I wonder if the Garda Commissioner mentioned tax & nct when he sought the additional powers ?

Why would he need to? It’s part of their remit of traffic policing.

You seem to have some issue with the Gardai, probably best to just get on with things and let them do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Tax and NCT are part of existing legislation and don't require any additional powers.

Plus it's so easy to generate a fake letter.

Though you're f**d if the Gard decides to call the number on your letter to verify...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

God forbid someone goes and does a bit of exercise. What are peoples problems, if its within the 2k then fair play. The irony is you probably typed your message from the bed

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Why would he need to? It’s part of their remit of traffic policing.

You seem to have some issue with the Gardai, probably best to just get on with things and let them do their job.

I don't have issues with anyone. I just don't blindly follow & agree with everything they or any government body does. The Gardai were in a terrible mess because no one questioned. The Country ended up in a mess because no one questioned.

Asking questions & seeking accountability is a good thing.

Advertisement