Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If the document was an email on an iPhone then a Garda may have to come closer to see it?
    Discodog wrote: »
    Plus it's so easy to generate a fake letter.
    There are solutions being implemented by other countries and major cities, which would solve these problems quite easily, and would remove a lot of the fraud that may be going on.
    For such a supposedly technologically advanced 1st world country, it is confusing to see Ireland using such old school processes and antiquated mindset.

A bar/QR code or electronic pass would help to solve many of these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We wouldn’t need Garda checkpoints at all if people did what they were told for the betterment of the human race.
    Instead they question everything and try to outwit the people who are trying to save lives and to ridicule the medical professionals who recommend ways to try and beat the virus.
    For God’s sake there’s need to try and prove yourselves all the time and talk about your rights being denied.
    Stay at home unless it’s urgent and save lives.
    Let's hope this kind of thinking follows through after the virus has cleared, so we don't need to devote a huge amount of resources from Gardai, Courts, Road Safety Authority, Dept Justice, Dept Transport to getting drivers to comply with speed limits, mobile phone laws and other traffic laws, for the betterment of the human race and all that.

Kivaro wrote: »
    So you will have to disagree with virologists, other medical professionals, and various other organisations and countries all around the world who say masks are essential to help stop the spread of this virus.
    Covid-19 can be spread by just talking to someone who has it.
    And you say masks make very little difference?

That is an astounding statement from an HSE worker.

Have the public health experts and virologists here recommended masks for all?
    There are solutions being implemented by other countries and major cities, which would solve these problems quite easily, and would remove a lot of the fraud that may be going on.
    For such a supposedly technologically advanced 1st world country, it is confusing to see Ireland using such old school processes and antiquated mindset.

A bar/QR code is only marginally more difficult to produce than a letter. An electronic pass would require an infrastructure for identifying and authenticating people.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep. It's amazing what can be done with a few phone calls and a bit of persistence.

Was just before 9am on the M7 so anyone who drives that will know it's a busy route with lots of bottlenecks and a generally constant stream of traffic in both lanes the closer you get to Dublin.

After watching him trying to get into my back seat and veering over the centre line for a minute or two, I found a spot to slot into the other lane, and let the guy ahead of me, then pulled back out behind him and noted the reg. He was going nowhere fast but was still trying to bully his way through the traffic.

Call to directory enquiries (saved on phone plus Bluetooth kit and steering wheel controls) got me Dublin Castle where the nice guy I got was somewhat unsure if he should gave me the district station but did in the end.

Another call gave me the local station. By this stage I'd caught up with the guy again at the Newlands Cross flyover which was at a crawl (plus white D-reg i40 estates are easy to spot if you try).

His sergeant promised to call him which I saw happen through the back window of his car. Got a call back a minute later saying he had told the guy to pull in at the next garage for a word.

Which he did. Brief but polite exchange of views where he acknowledged that tailgating and aggressive driving isn't a good idea especially in a squad car (where generally people will panic and drop anchor every time it appears in the mirror = potential instant pile up), he apologised, we shook hands and went on our way.

Sargeant then called me again to ask if I wanted to lodge a formal complaint but I left it at that as I was extremely impressed with his response and help - something that I passed on to district later (it's important to call out that sort of thing too).

Again, I don't expect you to take my word for it as we're both just anonymous posters on a forum but that's the story. Gardai aren't infallible or perfect just because they have a certain job.
    Most of the time they're fine and you both get on with your day, but occasionally you need to call one out on something, which no one should be afraid to do if it's a legitimate complaint. If anything I'd think the majority would welcome such action as those individuals make their own jobs harder too.

So you used the steering controls to;
    - pull up directory enquiries number from your address book and call it
    - pick up the Dublin Castle number sent to you by directory enquiries and call it

- type in the number of the district station given to you by Dublin Castle and call it

all in busy, fast moving traffic with tailgaiters around? I'm glad I rarely drive the M7 in rush hour.

I'm curious as to what kind of steering wheel controls allowed you to type in the number of the district station given to you by Dublin Castle, and indeed as to what you asked Directory Inquiries for in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

johnb25 wrote: »
    Tax and NCT are part of existing legislation and don't require any additional powers.

No but they are a change of purpose. They have nothing to do with questioning why people are on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

No but they are a change of purpose. They have nothing to do with questioning why people are on the road.

Why are you so worried about them doing both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Let's hope this kind of thinking follows through after the virus has cleared, so we don't need to devote a huge amount of resources from Gardai, Courts, Road Safety Authority, Dept Justice, Dept Transport to getting drivers to comply with speed limits, mobile phone laws and other traffic laws, for the betterment of the human race and all that.

Have the public health experts and virologists here recommended masks for all?

A bar/QR code is only marginally more difficult to produce than a letter. An electronic pass would require an infrastructure for identifying and authenticating people.

So you used the steering controls to;
    - pull up directory enquiries number from your address book and call it
    - pick up the Dublin Castle number sent to you by directory enquiries and call it

- type in the number of the district station given to you by Dublin Castle and call it

all in busy, fast moving traffic with tailgaiters around? I'm glad I rarely drive the M7 in rush hour.

I'm curious as to what kind of steering wheel controls allowed you to type in the number of the district station given to you by Dublin Castle, and indeed as to what you asked Directory Inquiries for in the first place.

Modern cars have a feature called voice activation. And guess what. It's operated by a button on the steering wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

What systems have been used in other countries?

I'd imagine it would take a long time to set this up and have it rolled out to all of the relevant people, certainly wouldn't have been done in a few days to allow essential workers get to work after the announcement of the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

An Ri rua wrote: »
    People who run, or cycle, tend to be like Isis members. Putting the mental into fundamentalist. Nothing will stop their training schedule. Facts, or social mores be damned.

I do a little bit of both (not a real cyclist, more a genteel stroll type of cyclist) although I’m not running at the moment as the paths are so busy.

But there does appear to be a fundamentalist crew on boards who will tirelessly defend the indefensible.

Why are you so worried about them doing both?

Because it can lead to big problems. For example look at the effect blanket stop & search had in the UK. Northern Ireland was also a classic example where the Army were given wide powers & abused them. History is full of cases where a law was bought in for one purpose & then abused for another.

Simon Harris has spoken about how the cabinet were very divided. They reluctantly agreed to the Commissioner's request specifically to prevent people travelling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I do a little bit of both (not a real cyclist, more a genteel stroll type of cyclist) although I’m not running at the moment as the paths are so busy.

But there does appear to be a fundamentalist crew on boards who will tirelessly defend the indefensible.

Can't speak for joggers but for the cyclists it's 4-5 posters ah!t stirring while the rest are all very accepting of the guidelines.

We all have something to gain by adhering to it, and we all have something to lose by possibly not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Because it can lead to big problems. For example look at the effect blanket stop & search had in the UK. Northern Ireland was also a classic example where the Army were given wide powers & abused them. History is full of cases where a law was bought in for one purpose & then abused for another.

Simon Harris has spoken about how the cabinet were very divided. They reluctantly agreed to the Commissioner's request specifically to prevent people travelling.

It’s not abuse of power. They already have those powers. Just pay your tax and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Weepsie wrote: »
    for the cyclists it's 4-5 posters ah!t stirring while the rest are all very accepting of the guidelines.

100% Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If a law breaker rolls up to one of these checkpoints, then they should be apprehended, whether it is no tax, no insurance, drug driving, disqualified drivers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

RoryMac wrote: »
    What systems have been used in other countries?

Ask the Chinese, they have a barcode app on their peoples phones which have to be scanned each time they enter a building etc.
    Great way to track the movements of individuals in a population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Sinister.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ask the Chinese, they have a barcode app on their peoples phones which have to be scanned each time they enter a building etc.

That's to do with "social credit." And it makes the people suspicious of each and takes heat off the party.

I’m wouldn’t mind seeing similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I’m wouldn’t mind seeing similar here.

No you wouldn't. It most likely goes against EU/Irish privacy laws.

Look at the mess the Irish govt. made of the Public Services Card, do you think they can be trusted with the data that a tracking app would provide?

No you wouldn't. It most likely goes against EU/Irish privacy laws.

Look at the mess the Irish govt. made of the Public Services Card, do you think they can be trusted with the data that a tracking app would provide?

I don’t mean just for this. I’d like to see it as an ongoing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I don’t mean just for this. I’d like to see it as an ongoing thing.

I'd like to see this line of thinking die a fuccking death fairly quick

I'd like to see this line of thinking die a fuccking death fairly quick

I know I’m definitely in the minority with it but I’ve nothing to hide and it would make the country far safer.

I am under no illusions about it ever happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I know I’m definitely in the minority with it but I’ve nothing to hide and it would make the country far safer.

I am under no illusions about it ever happening.

It might make the country look safer, depending on who you are.

Fairly sure the Uyghurs ain't feeling to safe under the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

So if they stop cars without tax/insurance /NCT they should ignore existing laws and ignore them? Then that raises the question of when and why any law gets enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

johnb25 wrote: »
    So if they stop cars without tax/insurance /NCT they should ignore existing laws and ignore them? Then that raises the question of when and why any law gets enforced.

Tax and insurance are still available but the NCT has been had to get due to centers not having inspection lifts and is no impossible to get. The NCT shouldbe extended on all cars by the length of the pandemic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your friends own fault for not having the proper documentation.

I think you’ve missed the wider point

Tax and insurance are still available but the NCT has been had to get due to centers not having inspection lifts and is no impossible to get. The NCT shouldbe extended on all cars by the length of the pandemic.

And not all vehicles can be taxed online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Has anybody taxed a car online since the start of the month? I did nearly 2 weeks ago and no sign of the disc yet, anybody in the same boat?

Oops! wrote: »
    Has anybody taxed a car online since the start of the month? I did nearly 2 weeks ago and no sign of the disc yet, anybody in the same boat?

I taxed mine online on 26th and got disk in post within days. Same for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yep. 2 different cars and both discs arrived to the registered addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I may look into it so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Baseball72

taxed my car on line on 31st March. Disc arrived 4-5 days later.

Advertisement