Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cyclists are definitely showing how low they really are out there these days, though not surprising from a group that think rules don’t apply to them the rest of the time either. They’re easily up there with the weekend holidaymakers in all this but they seem to be getting a free pass from the Gardai.

Some cyclists are Gardai

Are Garda strict checks finishing today as Easter weekend over?

I think special needs kids autistic kids can be taken for a spin more than 2km from their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just reading on the BBC site "Police have issued 107 fines to people who did not heed the message to stay at home to prevent the spread of coronavirus." Officers broke up house parties, barbecues and children’s play dates, with some gatherings of more than 20 people, over the past three days. Are these people for real and people on this site wonder why the Gardai are out and about checking situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

[running to car to empty ketamine and coke destined for Dingle] spoilsports.

its the only time in my life I can think of that the gardai would find a pool noodle and a bag of cocaine equally verboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theyre checking the boot for suitcases, fishing gear, camping gear etc... to make sure people arent going down the country for a holiday. Happening across a load of drugs while theyre at it too.

In the UK holiday home owners have hired couriers to bring their suitcases to their holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In the UK holiday home owners have hired couriers to bring their suitcases to their holiday homes.

imagine being that hard up to be a d*ckhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

ShyMets wrote: »
    The massive ramp up in checkpoints was for the Easter weekend. While checkpoints will continue I suspect they won't be as numerous

Seen nothing on the roads into work this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just reading on the BBC site "Police have issued 107 fines to people who did not heed the message to stay at home to prevent the spread of coronavirus." Officers broke up house parties, barbecues and children’s play dates, with some gatherings of more than 20 people, over the past three days. Are these people for real and people on this site wonder why the Gardai are out and about checking situations.

Did the Gardai break up many parties or barbecues?
    Link?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Drove into work this morning in city centre, no Garda checkpoints encountered.

A work colleague did mention he saw a checkpoint on Pearse Street this morning.

I think the checkpoints are very few and far between now after the bank holiday week-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Didn't see anything at all over the weekend. Drove into the city to pick up the GF after my shift on Thursday as she was bringing shopping to her parents. Went shopping on Saturday. Drove to my granddad's on Monday to drop shopping up to him. Nothing at all.

A lot more Garda cars driving around than normal, used to see one a week and now I'm seeing them daily but they aren't interested in stopping anyone or doing checkpoints.

Loads of people driving like mad. Feck all traffic but booting up the bus lane. Had one lad undertake me to run a solid red light. Considering the huge increase in pedestrians and cyclists it would be nice if the general roads were policed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I envy the countries where police can dish out a good hiding. Offenders ignoring advise should be tazed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Agreed a lot of folks heavy on the foot, going through red lights and driving in bus lanes.

Had a lad tailgate me from Whitehall Church as far as Santry/Coolock interchange M1 then did a mad overtake yesterday coming home from work . I was doing 75km in an 80 km zone, he over took me at 100 km.

Go Safe van parked up on left at hard shoulder.

3 points and €80 yo, yo,s for my tailgater.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Loads of people driving like mad. Feck all traffic but booting up the bus lane. Had one lad undertake me to run a solid red light. Considering the huge increase in pedestrians and cyclists it would be nice if the general roads were policed a bit.

Yep with the booting up the bus lane - I was overtaken in the bus lane in Dublin by two cars doing 10-20 over the speed limit (I was at the speed limit and they outpaced me easily).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

three local checkpoints today - and one under cover car chasing boyos in the bus lane - checking licenses and where you were goinv and pulling people innand making them
    turn around and go back - fair enough. Of course the ****ing beggars and the romanians at the entrance ways to supermarkets left alone - it boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Did the Gardai break up many parties or barbecues?
    Link?

They arrested seven people, presumably on the road rather than at parties;

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0414/1130422-coronavirus-arrests-gardai/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I was stopped this morning. It was all very courteous and no problem was had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent hit a checkpoint at all myself, I feel like Im missing out compared to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've not come across any checkpoints either, then again I'm not near anywhere people come to go for a walk (parks, beaches, etc.)

As for people driving faster, I find now that people seem much calmer, no one's in a hurry anymore, no one's late for work or trying to get somewhere to do something, all gone now!

Anyone who does speed around the place along bus lanes etc. probably does that all year round....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent hit a checkpoint at all myself, I feel like Im missing out compared to everyone else.

Need to go onto the Motorway and N Road network. Almost bound to meet one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think special needs kids autistic kids can be taken for a spin more than 2km from their homes

I very much doubt that.
    2km is for everyone.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

You are indeed correct....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Drug dealers are having to take risks now, the customers are probably reluctant to visit a known trading spot so dealers probably need go to a house and a few of them seem to be getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Drug dealers are having to take risks now, the customers are probably reluctant to visit a known trading spot so dealers probably need go to a house and a few of them seem to be getting caught.

Not really, maybe those dealers who sell a few tabs to drug addicts in getting methadone treatment in the city centre.

The drugs trade is all online now, sold through social media and delivered by lads on bikes etc.

If anything the sales of drugs is probably as high as ever as people party at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,437 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

pablo128 wrote: »
    Tape your licence to the end of a hurl and stick the hurl out the window to show them.

Better to use something longer like a slash hook.

Better to use something longer like a slash hook.

You are Fake news!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I very much doubt that.
    2km is for everyone.

No they can, I was stopped with my young fella yesterday. Told guard he had asd and wanted to go for a spin. No bother he said just try to stay in the car. I offered to show him my carers card, he wasn't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,437 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You are Fake news!

Slash hooks ain't fake news.

Never leave home without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There seems to be a lot more traffic making local journeys over the last few days. The roads around my way are certainly busier.

There seems to be a lot more traffic making local journeys over the last few days. The roads around my way are certainly busier.

Antisocial daytrippers looking for a gawk no doubt.

• Advertisement

Time to come down hard on people out and about for no good reason. The Chinese defeated the virus by hauling people off in the back of anonymous vans and welding people into their apartment buildings. A trip to the shops for a box of fags and a bottle of coke isn't essential.

Advertisement