Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,836 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Juicee wrote: »
    "The pictures also shocked Consumers’ Association of Ireland chief Dermott Jewell, who said: ‘This is, to all intents and purposes, a violation of privacy.’"

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties had no problems with it at all.
    You seem to cherry pick what suits you even from the articles you produce yourself.
    You clearly have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Juicee - don't post in the thread again, thanks.

"The pictures also shocked Consumers’ Association of Ireland chief Dermott Jewell, who said: ‘This is, to all intents and purposes, a violation of privacy.’"

It looks far more like casual conversation to me between two adults who don't have a need to constantly claim oppression

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭s8n

I just knew that communism would sneak in somehow. There I was out for a stroll, and a Garda on his bicycle uttered "good morning" in passing. The breathtaking audacity, I felt my throat involuntarily tighten as my liberty ebbed away. The founding fathers of 1776 would be up in arms...oops wrong country. I knew you was pinko when I saw you spoke the ten gallon stetson to John Wayne, virtual-signalling libtards wanna trample all over my freedom. Heck, I ain't even registered another account to agree with me yet. You don't go tellin' no one, hear?

I dont get it ??

Why are the guards faces pixelated? Also, looks like hey aren't wearing facemasks...

Not allowed unless dealing with a suspected case. Apparently it would cause alarm amongst the public

• Advertisement

If this was a communist regime, the state police would confiscate your shopping for having "contraband" unless you paid them a bribe (usually cigarettes) to look the other way. We have not reached that level yet! We might when the tax revenue collapses.

If you want to look for the communists though look no further than Margrethe Vestager, Executive Vice President of the EU and Commissioner for Competition who has stated that EU states should now nationalize companies in the fight against China, which is a country governed by the Chinese Communist party (CCP).

European countries need to protect their companies from Chinese takeovers, says EU Commissioner

The banks in this country have been government sponsored enterprises since the last economic crash. How would people feel about the government nationalising Ryanair?

Why do people always say all the banks? Only 6 were bailed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,724 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: @Juicee - don't post in the thread again, thanks.

I suppose he/she thinks the mods are communist as well now :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Bill Gates said something about tracking peoples movements with a biometric chip and tattoo combination. We should leave these decisions to altruistic experts like Mr Gates who are far more clued in and knowledgeable. People should just stop asking questions and do whatever the authorities and experts say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

How many banks are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Bill Gates said something about tracking peoples movements with a biometric chip and tattoo combination.

No, he didn't. Last year he sought solutions to the dilemma of knowing who has received immunisations in parts of the world where record keeping is chaotic or impossible. One proposal, of many, that a team from MIT came back with was an invisible dye that stayed under the skin and was administered with the vaccination. No barcodes, not about tracking people's movement at all, and no biomtric chips.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/invisible-ink-could-reveal-whether-kids-have-been-vaccinated/

• Advertisement

neckedit wrote: »

There are 62 "Credit Institutions" regulated by the Central Bank Of Ireland. This does not include Credit Unions.

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/statistics/data-and-analysis/credit-and-banking-statistics/bank-balance-sheets/credit-institutions-resident-in-the-republic-of-ireland.pdf?sfvrsn=9

62 at the moment. Not sure if the number is up or down since 2008

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

62 at the moment. Not sure if the number is up or down since 2008
    Please read the thread title - it says Garda checks, not Garda cheques, so drop all the banking talk

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's stopping someone writing a fake cheque and say you're going to the bank?

I completely forgot I'm sitting on a cheque. I need to drive 15km away to the bank to lodge it. I never thought of it because it isn't necessarily essential to me.

DaveyDave wrote: »

I completely forgot I'm sitting on a cheque. I need to drive 15km away to the bank to lodge it. I never thought of it because it isn't necessarily essential. Banking counts as essential and the person who gave it to me would like it out of their account.

My sister on Easter Sunday travelled to Galway from Westmeath to visit my 80 year old father who lives alone. She got stopped by guards, explained what she was doing and was allowed go. Perfectly reasonable reason to travel said the guard.

Some of the comments on this thread you would swear the Gestapo were roaming the streets. If you need to go into town, go. If asked, say why. Use the cheque story if you want, but being honest I think is a better policy.

I went to tesco yesterday and bought a bottle of bourbon, crisps and some fish. I didn't "need" any of those items, but I'd have no problem showing the contents of my bag if asked, or my recipt. I might get judged by the guard for being a wino but pfft, I'd don't care.

DaveyDave wrote: »

I completely forgot I'm sitting on a cheque. I need to drive 15km away to the bank to lodge it. I never thought of it because it isn't necessarily essential to me.

Use an automatic system,
    Get it reissued

It's not essential or you wouldn't have forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I also found a cheque but its a business one which is near where i work and need to drop in there to pick up all mail and shop on my way home,social distance gloves ,mask and sanitizer to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties had no problems with it at all.
    You seem to cherry pick what suits you even from the articles you produce yourself.
    You clearly have an agenda.

Can you provide a link as you are quoting an organisation ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Can you provide a link as you are quoting an organisation ?

Here's the Irish Council for Civil Liberties' page on the matter. Sensible and pragmatic.

https://www.iccl.ie/human-rights/covid-19-emergency-legislation-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Here's the Irish Council for Civil Liberties' page on the matter. Sensible and pragmatic.

https://www.iccl.ie/human-rights/covid-19-emergency-legislation-everything-you-need-to-know/

But making no reference to the powers or use of discretion by Gardai during vehicle checks.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    But making no reference to the powers or use of discretion by Gardai during vehicle checks.

Oh, that's in the article being discussed. The link was already provided in the post that started this. It was originally its own thread, but got merged with this one.
    Irish Council for Civil Liberties executive director Liam Herrick said: ‘Where someone asserts that they are moving about to purchase goods from an essential retail outlet, it is reasonable for gardaí to ask him or her to support this assertion – e.g. to show shopping bags or say which outlet they are going to or from.
    ‘We have had no reports of gardai making any distinction as to purchased goods being essential or non-essential.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/photographs-emerge-of-gardai-inspecting-shopping/ar-BB12HDET?ocid=spartanntp

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

sorry if this was already posted https://www.rte.ie/amp/1131964/ but what's your opinion on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Acey10 wrote: »
    sorry if this was already posted https://www.rte.ie/amp/1131964/ but what's your opinion on this??

Took off from a checkpont...what a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Absolute muppet, given a fair chance by Gardaí to return home and decided to speed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those pups probably had a lucky escape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

A special kind of stupid....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Juicee

I haven't seen any gards get as bad as some of their uk counterparts thankfully (at least not yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

I haven't seen any gards get as bad as some of their uk counterparts thankfully (at least not yet)

Haha "you can't yell at journalists". Things are a lot more serious in the UK than here, I don't see a lot wrong with the police telling this knob to **** off home. He was looking for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Juicee

Haha "you can't yell at journalists". Things are a lot more serious in the UK than here, I don't see a lot wrong with the police telling this knob to **** off home. He was looking for a reaction.

That's absolutely false. don't know how you arrived at that. 2min video so people can check for themselves

• Advertisement

That's absolutely false. don't know how you arrived at that. 2min video so people can check for themselves

A, the clip didn't start where we see it starting. Why edited?

B, he is Clearly trying to provoke a reaction. Would he know the lady being arrested by any chance?

C, his job is irrelevant. Exercise or go home. Standing recording someone is not exercise

D, is the arrested person not entitled to some privacy instead of being recorded and uploaded to the net?

E, journalist? It's level Earth on YouTube. A nutjob channel.

Advertisement