Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

I’ll be going to a cocooned person a few times a week delivering food etc

Here’s what I’m doing:

1. An A4 page stating in big black marker where I’m coming from, where I’m going and why.

2. A statement for my return journey where I’ve just come from, why I was there and the fact I’m now returning home.

Don’t think they’ll be a need to open a window for that- it’s pretty clear and reckon guards will see common sense with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

rizzodun wrote: »
    If the country was full of sensible people we wouldn't even need the checkpoints.

that's a bit like saying if everyone was honest we wouldn't need locks on the door or police

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Wibbs wrote: »
    Basically C R0 is the number for the average number of people that one infected person goes on to infect. So an R0 of one would mean if you caught it you'd likely only infect one other person and it would be unlikely to spread to far or fast. An R0 of less than one and the virus would likely die out soon enough as it would run out of people it could infect. The higher the R0 number the more infectious a virus or bacteria is.

At this stage the R0 of Covid-19 is still a bit up in the air, but looks to be anything from 1.5 to 3. For comparison ebola has an R0 of around 2, SARS and HIV would be 4 and measles would have an R0 closer to 20.

A lot of things can affect this number in the real world. Take HIV with an R0 of 4. Sounds like it could spread like crazy, but avoiding certain risk factors knocks the risk right down and those factors are a lot easier to avoid for a general population. EG you can't catch HIV from shared surfaces, coughs and sneezes, living with someone who is infected. That makes it a lot harder to catch compared to SARS that has the same R0 value but all of the above ways of transmission are significantly harder to avoid with SARS.

With Covid-19 things like social distancing, hand hygiene, personal protection equipment, quarantining of the sick and finally herd immunity and vaccination will massively affect the R0 value in the wider community.

Evern wearing Homemade masks as shown by the Czech Republic which made it mandatory for anyone going out to have a mask to slow down the spread of the virus.

Edit: Further link showing the effect of wearing masks in Czech. https://www.aninews.in/news/world/asia/usage-of-masks-flattened-growth-of-coronavirus-cases-in-czech-republic20200329043711/

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Marcos wrote: »
    Evern wearing Homemade masks as shown by the Czech Republic which made it mandatory for anyone going out to have a mask to slow down the spread of the virus.

Edit: Further link showing the effect of wearing masks in Czech. https://www.aninews.in/news/world/asia/usage-of-masks-flattened-growth-of-coronavirus-cases-in-czech-republic20200329043711/

They also closed the borders very early.. needs more work before you can draw conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Panicking like this will do you no good.

Some people believe that the virus is airborne for up to 3 hours. They believe that they can breath it in hours after a jogger passed by the spot they stand in.

People will believe what they want to believe. Common sense does not really factor into in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Shirley could put licence against window without needing to hand it over and end up getting germs of Covid 19 virus all over it from a Guard who has handled thousands of different things from different people.

And what happens if Shirley is not with me?

No they are not. i use sterile gloves at work

So do I :)

Any evidence to back your argument other than stamping of feet and screaming "I'm right"?

JoChervil wrote: »
    They are not sterile anyway after one checking

Which is why they are disposable and we carry a pouch full of em

JoChervil wrote: »
    It's not. Common cold is 1.4 contagious, while this one 3. Meaning if not restricted one person can infect 58,000 people eventually, while in common cold case only 27 people.

Ok, I'll take your word for this but I have questions

Why only 27 people? Is it due to people having built up immunity? The external life of the virus? Or some other aspect?

My understanding as a layman and always willing to be educated, cold is airborne for a short period of time but primarily via touch of mucus, saliva, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

carry your licence, tax your car, be polite

stupidly simple stuff no sensible human being could fail to understand.

The Sovereign Citizens will be out in force to ensure their freedom of movement isn't affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

So do I :)

Any evidence to back your argument other than stamping of feet and screaming "I'm right"?

If you open the box they are exposed to the atmosphere. Therefore they are not sterile

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

YFlyer wrote:
    The Sovereign Citizens will be out in force to ensure their freedom of movement isn't affected.

I've s posts with common law nonsense already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I drove from one county to another today for an emergency dental appointment, my tooth split and exposed the nerves.
    Was in a lot of discomfort.
    Broke a tooth in half due to boiled sweets, my own fault.
    Have an acrylic crown now feeling much better phew , but I asked the dentist for a letter explaining my reasons for being on the road.

I drove through a lot of villages and two towns, not once did I come across a check point.

I had everything in order, letter nct, insurance and tax.

No check points

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've s posts with common law nonsense already

Once again for the idiots, common law is what our actual legal system is based on. Our legal system is a COMMON LAW LEGAL SYSTEM

It's not brethan law and by claiming it is, you expose your own ignorance of our legal system.

It's still used, offences committed contrary to common law are still convicted in courts after arrest. MURDER is a common law offence ffs!

If you open the box they are exposed to the atmosphere. Therefore they are not sterile

But the box is opened in a sealed room.

And then they are sterile until the box is opened, ergo they are sterile gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But the box is opened in a sealed room.

And then they are sterile until the box is opened, ergo they are sterile gloves.
    I'd seriously be checking my understanding of sterile if I were you! :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd seriously be checking my understanding of sterile if I were you! :eek:

"free from bacteria or other living microorganisms; totally clean."

Anyone care to prove the ones in my workplace don't meet the criteria?Even if they don't at the time of arriving to me, they are still the ones in use in hospitals which have been cleared to use the word 'sterile' by the advertising and health authorities so forgive be if I accept the word of those people over someone on the net who just keeps shouting "I'm right".

Mr argument just has a bone about it for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are there many Gardai checkpoints.
    I am going on a journey tomorrow and it is not strictly necessary...

So why are you going on it then?

Which bit of STAY AT HOME don't you understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Well then you shouldn't be going, or are you one of those people who thinks the rules don't apply to them just to the rest of the population?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

One thing if you are stopped, put your car air intake on (without recirculating) as this will pull fresh air in from front of the car and keep positive pressure - air will blow out the open window.

Just a minor thing but, it might help a bit.

The same concept is used in supermarkets and food hygiene areas btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Well i need to get groceries so its just one more stop, i tried to cancel but not allowed, i blame the shop and will make people aware when this is over,they sent me email reply and they are leaders in their field.
    The rules apply to all.

Well i need to get groceries so its just one more stop, i tried to cancel but not allowed, i blame the shop and will make people aware when this is over,they sent me email reply and they are leaders in their field.
    The rules apply to all.
    So it's the shop's fault, so the rules don't apply to you?

Are you 12?

Grow up - limit your time outside to absolute necessary activity, and then GO HOME.

We're all in this together, you know - if we all play by the rules we can help slow the onset of the tsunami that's coming - but no, a €70 voucher is more important. Well done you.

ETA - as I was typing this, an elderly man was crying on the radio having watched his deceased wife taken away to be buried while he stayed in the garden, because he's not willing to break the rules, because it would be unfair. I'll just leave that there.

Don't worry about it. Say you are going to the shops, it's essential. You won't have an issue.
    Great first post. :rolleyes:

Thanks?
    It wasn't a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

"free from bacteria or other living microorganisms; totally clean."

Anyone care to prove the ones in my workplace don't meet the criteria?Even if they don't at the time of arriving to me, they are still the ones in use in hospitals which have been cleared to use the word 'sterile' by the advertising and health authorities so forgive be if I accept the word of those people over someone on the net who just keeps shouting "I'm right".

Mr argument just has a bone about it for some reason

I worked in a sterile pharma plant until last year so was interested in the gloves you linked in earlier posts. Sterile gloves are usually individually wrapped. Initially I was going to agree with Mr agrument that multiple gloves in boxes are generally not sterile.
    However after finding other details on that particular product it seems the 50 gloves in the box are individually wrapped single use which is the important bit. That detail was missing in the product description in your link.
    Hence I would agree that they are sterile.

shane b wrote: »
    I worked in a sterile pharma plant until last year so was interested in the gloves you linked in earlier posts. Sterile gloves are usually individually wrapped. Initially I was going to agree with Mr agrument that multiple gloves in boxes are generally not sterile.
    However after finding other details on that particular product it seems the 50 gloves in the box are individually wrapped single use which is the important bit. That detail was missing in the product description in your link.
    Hence I would agree that they are sterile.

I'm open to correction, but I don't think the box of gloves being referred to by the poster as supplied by his workplace is a box of individually wrapped single gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The rules apply to all.

If the shop is still open is it possible it meets the criteria of 'essential services', and therefore your trip to it is ok under the rules?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

The likelihood in a 1 minute interaction of infecting you, is pretty low, they can keep distance to a degree and ask Whatever question they need.

It isn’t like you get infected by being close to someone for a few seconds.

you can get infected just by them talking to you even for a few seconds especially when they are talking down to you, it makes it worse

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

How can a Garda check ID and keep distance.

All due respect to Garda - But I don't want them near me, they are as high risk as you get out there.

the one's i have met wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the box either,
    they must have the weakest Guards on the roads doing this at the moment.

Advertisement