Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I have had that poster on ignore for a long time as it’s not worth giving his posts the reaction he so desperately craves.

Live on a major cycling route and they are back out in force. I’ve noticed the numbers have been steadily climbing through last week. Those doing loops are obvious because they pass a few times. The rest are just selfish arseholes. It’s not surprising given the sense of entitlement so many cyclists displayed prior to the pandemic and I say that as a regular but casual cyclist myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The regulations don't restrict the length of the cycle or the gear worn, funnily enough.

But how do you know what length of cycle they are going for?

2km is what's allowed unless for reasons you already know.....

I know because I see the 10s of kilometres up the road etc, I drive all around city and surrounding areas and see it daily.....

So what exactly did you mean by 'full Tour de France outfit' other than the same kind of lycra gear worn by half the females under 60 that you see in Lidl?

If you don't see any difference between a wannabe Giro de Italia MAMIL and a woman out shopping in a pair of figure hugging jeggings I'm afraid explaining it to you now isn't going to change anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

silverharp wrote: »

Blowing up the cars is a bit much for breaking the 2km ban... If that's what you're advocating :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

2km is what's allowed unless for reasons you already know.....

I know because I see the 10s of kilometres up the road etc, I drive all around city and surrounding areas and see it daily.....

There is no restriction on the length or duration of exercise. I could do a 100 km cycle - five loops of my 20km circuit within my 2km radius - and still be fully compliant with current regulations and guidance.

If you don't see any difference between a wannabe Giro de Italia MAMIL and a woman out shopping in a pair of figure hugging jeggings I'm afraid explaining it to you now isn't going to change anything for you.

The difference is that the cyclist has a bit more padding on the butt and a few more pockets at the back of the Jersey.

What other differences do you notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There is no restriction on the length or duration of exercise. I could do a 100 km cycle - five loops of my 20km circuit within my 2km radius - and still be fully compliant with current regulations and guidance.

Amazing how they seem to be able to get to random places further than 2km away if staying in the 2km radius. But then according to you cyclists are gods amongst normal folk so are no doubt so brilliant they can do the unthinkable. If you are suggesting they are doing 100km while staying within a 2km radius then I think everybody knows you are lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My only experience with a checkpoint was a Garda on a bike last week, who was stopping cars along a road in Clare, just over the border from Limerick. I was on my bike doing my daily loop, and he just let me past saying, 'go on, we need our exercise.'

I've seen them patrolling our and other estates in the neighbourhood, but as, for the most part, there are no people congregating, they just drive on.

Will you come off it....

Cyclists on the N11,M11, cross city, many many other places such as enniskerry too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Blowing up the cars is a bit much for breaking the 2km ban... If that's what you're advocating :D:D

They obviously want to express their culture, I just want to go for a walk

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Will you come off it....

Cyclists on the N11,M11, cross city, many many other places such as enniskerry too....

What harm are they doing, er, 'Punisher'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Human Rights watchdog calls for more oversight into new Garda powers

https://www.thejournal.ie/human-rights-garda-powers-coronavirus-5084545-Apr2020/

Will you come off it....

This may be a surprise to you, but lots of cyclists live and work around the N11, M11, cross city and Enniskerry.

batman_oh wrote: »
    Amazing how they seem to be able to get to random places further than 2km away if staying in the 2km radius. But then according to you cyclists are gods amongst normal folk so are no doubt so brilliant they can do the unthinkable. If you are suggesting they are doing 100km while staying within a 2km radius then I think everybody knows you are lying!
    What particular cyclists are you referring to here, and how do you know the purpose of their journey or their distance from home?

Breezin wrote: »
    What harm are they doing, er, 'Punisher'?

Well for starters they aren't allowed on a motorway.... Thought that was very simple and easy for Yee to understand..,.

This may be a surprise to you, but lots of cyclists live and work around the N11, M11, cross city and Enniskerry.

So doing 40km etc is ok... Wow you really are scrapping the bottom of the barrels to try keep this going.....

There are plenty not following the rules and what gives them the right to do so....

Seeing a hell of a lot with brand new or near new Audi, BMW, ford raptur etc with bikes strapped onto them and are clearly going outside their 2km

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

You may be compliant, but you will be increasing the risk of spreading virus and may contribute to the death of soneone in your neighbourhood. That's a simple fact. If you were not at risk of spreading the virus when cycling then there would be an exemption from the 2km rule as cycling would be allowed outside the 2km zone. So, you're fine as compliant but are you happy to raise the risk level for the community that shares that 2km space with you?

BMurr wrote: »
    You may be compliant, but you will be increasing the risk of spreading virus and may contribute to the death of soneone in your neighbourhood. That's a simple fact. If you were not at risk of spreading the virus when cycling then there would be an exemption from the 2km rule as cycling would be allowed outside the 2km zone. So, you're fine as compliant but are you happy to raise the risk level for the community that shares that 2km space with you?

How does solo cycling increase virus spread?

So doing 40km etc is ok... Wow you really are scrapping the bottom of the barrels to try keep this going.....

There are plenty not following the rules and what gives them the right to do so....

Seeing a hell of a lot with brand new or near new Audi, BMW, ford raptur etc with bikes strapped onto them and are clearly going outside their 2km

How do you know what rules they are following? Unless you know their home address and the purpose of their journey, you have no idea what rules they are following.

• Advertisement

How do you know what rules they are following? Unless you know their home address and the purpose of their journey, you have no idea what rules they are following.

Obviously not following any rules, just like the many getting the bus or going of for a spin or popping into Tesco or wherever every Day..... Risk is increased.

Runners and cyclists were banned for a time in some countries as they're panting and coughing and spitting going along....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They're ok if they're from Derry, Belfast or Tyrone however. Daft set up altogether.
    Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They're ok if they're from Derry, Belfast or Tyrone however. Daft set up altogether.
    Why bother?

I believe that's more of a loophole rather than what was specifically intended as part of the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

8-10 wrote: »
    I believe that's more of a loophole rather than what was specifically intended as part of the policy
    Have they made any attempts to rectify it? Otherwise it shouldn't matter if the cyclist is from Newry or Dundalk.

Obviously not following any rules, just like the many getting the bus or going of for a spin or popping into Tesco or wherever every Day..... Risk is increased.

You seem to have missed my point about how you have no idea what rules they are following or breaching unless you know their home address and the purpose of their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

I'll assume you genuinely want to know. There's two ways at least. One is aerosol droplets from your lungs and nasal passageways. The usual coughing and sneezing can do this but there is still some uncertainty about wether just breath with the very small moisture particles in it can also spread it.

It might sound ridiculous but you could also say it's ridiculous for people to have to stay 2m apart while in a shopping queue. From my own personal experience I know that not all cyclists are staying far enough away from pedestrians such that their not at risk of spreading it to them.

The other way, in same way as swimming is that you could have an accident and require assistance from people who come on the scene. This is also true for any accident within your 2km bubble but I think the 2km bubble is designed to slow down the rate of spread between different communities.

Does that make sense?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Have they made any attempts to rectify it? Otherwise it shouldn't matter if the cyclist is from Newry or Dundalk.

There's a call for the legislation to be updated and I'd imagine they'll have to move to close the loophole.

It's ridiculous situation, on that I agree, but the way you're talking about it seems to suggest you think it's deliberately worded in that way.

I think it's clear that it was an error, and hopefully they do correct it soon.

BMurr wrote: »
    I'll assume you genuinely want to know. There's two ways at least. One is aerosol droplets from your lungs and nasal passageways. The usual coughing and sneezing can do this but there is still some uncertainty about wether just breath with the very small moisture particles in it can also spread it.

It might sound ridiculous but you could also say it's ridiculous for people to have to stay 2m apart while in a shopping queue. From my own personal experience I know that not all cyclists are staying far enough away from pedestrians such that their not at risk of spreading it to them.

The other way, in same way as swimming is that you could have an accident and require assistance from people who come on the scene. This is also true for any accident within your 2km bubble but I think the 2km bubble is designed to slow down the rate of spread between different communities.

Does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense. I did a good 20 km cycle this morning and didn't come into contact with any other person. How did my cycle increase risk of virus spread?

And if there is a risk arising from human contact, surely the 2km is increasing this risk by confining more people into smaller spaces?

If you want to reduce road collisions requiring assistance, then you should be stopping or dramatically reducing driving. Get people to walk to their local shops instead of driving. If this is a significant issue, then why wouldn't you focus on drivers, who soak up vastly more resources in the health system than motorists?

• Advertisement

why wouldn't you focus on drivers, who soak up vastly more resources in the health system than motorists?

What?

Advertisement