Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

No, it doesn't make sense. I did a good 20 km cycle this morning and didn't come into contact with any other person. How did my cycle increase risk of virus spread?

And if there is a risk arising from human contact, surely the 2km is increasing this risk by confining more people into smaller spaces?

If you want to reduce road collisions requiring assistance, then you should be stopping or dramatically reducing driving. Get people to walk to their local shops instead of driving. If this is a significant issue, then why wouldn't you focus on drivers, who soak up vastly more resources in the health system than motorists?

Mod: Okay - this is turning into a rhetoric now, and has gone wildly off-topic. Quit it now, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

8-10 wrote: »
    There's a call for the legislation to be updated and I'd imagine they'll have to move to close the loophole.

It's ridiculous situation, on that I agree, but the way you're talking about it seems to suggest you think it's deliberately worded in that way.

I think it's clear that it was an error, and hopefully they do correct it soon.

I know it's not deliberate. But I just find it so hypocritical and ludicrous that such a set up exists. Likewise with people heading down to Wexford last bank holiday and being turned around, however if your name is Nevin, Mc Donagh or Sweeney and you're dragging a caravan, fire away, head off to the Curragh or if you're a shop worker in Debenhams and protesting about losing your job you're 'moved on' but a couple of dozen the same day can block up the Four Courts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I know it's not deliberate. But I just find it so hypocritical and ludicrous that such a set up exists. Likewise with people heading down to Wexford last bank holiday and being turned around, however if your name is Nevin, Mc Donagh or Sweeney and you're dragging a caravan, fire away, head off to the Curragh or if you're a shop worker in Debenhams and protesting about losing your job you're 'moved on' but a couple of dozen the same day can block up the Four Courts!

Would like to hear from any members of the Gardai as to how the law is being applied or not to those from the traveling community who seem to have free movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Operation Fanacht to kick back in tomorrow morning until after the bank holiday weekend

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Would like to hear from any members of the Gardai as to how the law is being applied or not to those from the traveling community who seem to have free movement?

The travelling community are subject to the same laws as everyone else in the country.
    Unfortunately there are still plenty of people who think that the restrictions shouldn't apply to them. From all communities.

It's a shame the Gardai have to be out at all enforcing these rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Operation Fanacht to kick back in tomorrow morning until after the bank holiday weekend

But promised to bigger & better.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Where did you see that folks? cheers

Just saw it on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Breezin wrote: »
    This. The whole emphasis on stopping people travelling by road is inexplicable when we are next to bumping into each other in supermarkets and on the footpaths.
    I think the main point for this is to avoid spreading the virus across the territory.
    Although the "essential workers" do still travel a lot.

na1 wrote: »
    I think the main point for this is to avoid spreading the virus across the territory.
    Although the "essential workers" do still travel a lot.

They have said holiday homes............again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People frantically ringing holiday homes they've booked to see if they can pop down tonight instead of Thursday afternoon as planned :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe it’s me but I get the impression from some posters that they’d actually like to see the virus cases increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Maybe it’s me but I get the impression from some posters that they’d actually like to see the virus cases increase.

The same halfwits looking for loopholes are the same ones that will cause the lockdown to be extended. And will be the ones to come on here and crib about it.

Whilst others would love to see economic ruin as long as they get their €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Discodog wrote: »

Life will always outweigh money.
    You can’t take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The €350 payment will have to keep coming if the spread of the virus isn't contained. Too many clowns out and about or trying to look for loopholes that they can argue allows them to be where they want.
    Stay at home and stop the spread.
    The sooner we go this, the sooner we get back to work and the sooner we get the economy going again.
    It's really that simple.

mfceiling wrote: »
    The €350 payment will have to keep coming if the spread of the virus isn't contained. Too many clowns out and about or trying to look for loopholes that they can argue allows them to be where they want.
    The sooner we go this, the sooner we get back to work and the sooner we get the economy going again.
    It's really that simple.

It really isn't. Every euro of debt will have to be repaid & will result in cuts to health, welfare etc. They could end up killing more than Covid.

Already the Cancer Society are worried that people are going to die as a result of no breast, cervical, bowel checks.

Have you ever wondered why we don't just throw endless money at the World's problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

It's really that simple.

Don't think we'll be able to keep up the €350 after the initial 2 week period, I'd speculate it'll be back to the standard dole of €206 a week, can't afford to keep it at €350 for the next 18 months.

€350 sickness payment may possibly continue though deter people from going to work sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It really isn't. Every euro of debt will have to be repaid & will result in cuts to health, welfare etc. They could end up killing more than Covid.

Already the Cancer Society are worried that people are going to die as a result of no breast, cervical, bowel checks.

Have you ever wondered why we don't just throw endless money at the World's problems ?

It really is simple. Stay at home and stop the spread.
    If we don't then there's little chance of getting the economy going again.
    Of course the debt will have to be paid back, but the sooner we get back working the less we will have to fork out on welfare payments.
    Too many people ignoring the stay at home protocols which in turn will impact the speed we get on top of this.

I'd love to be back at work but I'm not going to ignore the advice that is being told to us constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pablo128 wrote: »
    The same halfwits looking for loopholes are the same ones that will cause the lockdown to be extended. And will be the ones to come on here and crib about it.

And its always someone else to blame (normally anyone on welfare)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The return of "Operation: Go the feck home!". :D

That being said I really wish they could do something about the fecking lowlifes hanging round on public transport all day they're the ones likely to spead this crap yet they seem to be coming back out of the woodwork as well.

• Advertisement

It really is simple. Stay at home and stop the spread.
    If we don't then there's little chance of getting the economy going again.
    Of course the debt will have to be paid back, but the sooner we get back working the less we will have to fork out on welfare payments.
    Too many people ignoring the stay at home protocols which in turn will impact the speed we get on top of this.

I'd love to be back at work but I'm not going to ignore the advice that is being told to us constantly.

How will movement restrictions reduce the Nursing Home deaths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Why don't you try to figure it out, enough info about this virus around now. Nursing homes don't exist on another planet. There will be protocols to minimise risk but you can never guarantee 100% risk elimination when human beings are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Because those working in them imo in a lot of cases aren't adhering to the rules set out.....

See many getting buses etc and don't practice social distance or give any space to others....

Because those working in them imo in a lot of cases aren't adhering to the rules set out.....

See many getting buses etc and don't practice social distance or give any space to others....

So it's about the people working in them & not 99% of the population. Therefore the lock down won't effect the number of deaths.

So it's about the people working in them & not 99% of the population. Therefore the lock down won't effect the number of deaths.

Lockdown reduces amount of virus circulating in community. Nursing home workers live in the community....... What do you think the logical outcome will be for nursing home residents if there is a higher or lower level of virus circulating in the community?

BMurr wrote: »
    Lockdown reduces amount of virus circulating in community. Nursing home workers live in the community....... What do you think the logical outcome will be for nursing home residents if there is a higher or lower level of virus circulating in the community?

The levels of community transmission are very low according to the CMO.

The levels of community transmission are very low according to the CMO.
    The dead, a certain amount of those will have contracted the virus from someone in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Lord almighty. It was an absolute disaster this evening on the Naas road.
    3 mile tail back 30 minutes delay to get through the check point.
    3 lanes into one 7/8 guards in a row in one single lane.

Ridiculous carry on.Its a pointless expensive exercise. Tell them what they want to hear and on u go.

Even the guards think it’s a joke. They must be sick of it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lord almighty. It was an absolute disaster this evening on the Naas road.
    3 mile tail back 30 minutes delay to get through the check point.
    3 lanes into one 7/8 guards in a row in one single lane.

Ridiculous carry on.Its a pointless expensive exercise. Tell them what they want to hear and on u go.

Even the guards think it’s a joke. They must be sick of it also.

Sounds effective so, the more people that hear stories of tailbacks like that, the more will go "ah fcuk it, not worth going to sit in traffic" and will stay home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

kenmc wrote: »
    Sounds effective so, the more people that hear stories of tailbacks like that, the more will go "ah fcuk it, not worth going to sit in traffic" and will stay home.

30 mins of sitting in traffic vs 24 hours sitting at home, I'd say a lot of people would choose the traffic tbh

Advertisement