Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

kenmc wrote: »
    Sounds effective so, the more people that hear stories of tailbacks like that, the more will go "ah fcuk it, not worth going to sit in traffic" and will stay home.

Especially health workers coming home from a 12 hour shift or a Vet answering an emergency call, even ambulances.

All of the above were needlessly delayed in the Easter checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Discodog wrote: »
    Especially health workers coming home from a 12 hour shift or a Vet answering an emergency call, even ambulances.

Such is life. For example all that security palaver when getting on a flight, all because some idiots think their cause trumps the rights of others to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Because those working in them imo in a lot of cases aren't adhering to the rules set out.....

See many getting buses etc and don't practice social distance or give any space to others....

See this is where people start making up there own facts, how the fck do you know if nursing home nurses and workers aren't "adhering to the rules set out"
    or so many on the busses not practicing social distancing??
    Pure factless rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, the Guards did say when the checkpoints started that they planned to hold folk up and make it awkward for them, so that people would be less inclined to go out unless it was an absolutely necessary journey.

Pretty sure no health care workers have an issue with the checkpoints, none I have spoken with anyway.
    & checkpoints do not hold up ambulances, you will find there are systems in place to allow for emergency vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    See this is where people start making up there own facts, how the fck do you know if nursing home nurses and workers aren't "adhering to the rules set out"
    or so many on the busses not practicing social distancing??
    Pure factless rubbish!

Eh because I'm carrying them and see it first hand, also unfortunately carrying drug addicts and they are using the buses more then ever to get across city to their mates and to score or sell.....

bubblypop wrote: »
    Pretty sure no health care workers have an issue with the checkpoints, none I have spoken with anyway.
    & checkpoints do not hold up ambulances, you will find there are systems in place to allow for emergency vehicles.

There is indeed, there is a lane most of the way up they can use and the Gaurd directing would wave traffic through at the very choke point....

What's causing more of a tail back is those not using both lanes till the merge....

I passed 400 meters of vehicles on M11 yesterday that weren't driving to the lane layout.

Why stop every car ? Why not use discretion & choose who to stop ? The examples I gave were all posted online, with photos - some even called radio stations.

The checkpoints are for one reason, to restrict travel.
    That's why they stop every car.

Look I know you have a problem with AGS doing their job, but hopefully it doesn't last forever. I'm sure the majority of guards would prefer to be living ordinary lives & doing their ordinary work.

The checkpoints are for one reason, to restrict travel.
    That's why they stop every car.

Look I know you have a problem with AGS doing their job, but hopefully it doesn't last forever. I'm sure the majority of guards would prefer to be living ordinary lives & doing their ordinary work.

I don't have a problem with AGS doing their job to prevent the spread of the virus. I totally support it. But stopping every car isn't doing this. It's taking up a lot of resources that should be directed at those breaching social distancing & not the vast majority who are complying with the law. I do accept that AGS policy is set by the Commissioner & the Dept of Health.

The last time people were stuck in long checkpoint queues there were sulkie races going on, countless house parties, street parties etc & no Gardai to be seen.

• Advertisement

Well, no more then any other crimes, people need to ring Gardai when they become aware of them.
    AGS can't operate without public assistance!

The whole point of the checkpoints is that they hold up people & they speak with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't read over the thread, but man is there some visible and welcome visible increase to the gards on the roads and streets.

Went through four separate checkpoints this morning already on my way to my first site of the day, lost count how many I got stopped at yesterday definitely 8+ including one outside Bray where a car load of young lads (late teens to early twenties) who I very much doubt were from the same family were pulled to the side of the road.

Apart from a fairly long tailback on the N7 southbound - fairly hassle free, I wear ID on my breast pocket for my job, which clearly states the nature of our work, but have several letters from key customers detailing how we are deemed as essential suppliers to them, but have never been asked to produce it.

They're doing a good job imo.

Well, no more then any other crimes, people need to ring Gardai when they become aware of them.
    AGS can't operate without public assistance!

The whole point of the checkpoints is that they hold up people & they speak with everyone.

So the purpose is to delay & inconvenience.

McMurphy wrote: »

Apart from a fairly long tailback on the N7 southbound -

Added 20mins to my 30min journey.
    They were there dismoring too so could be a permanent fixture.

On motorways it's permanent set up till the weekend...
    They have a toilet and canteen box set up like roadworks....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've to go into work tomorrow, have a letter, are they doing checkpoints in the m50? do i need to leave 30 minutes earlier than usual?

The law states that everyone should stay in their homes.
    So no-one should be out in public except for the times prescribed by law. In order to check everyone for their valid lawful reason to be out of their homes, it is necessary for gardai to ask people for their legal valid reason, this in turn does hold everybody up, & inconveniences some people.
    Obviously that is not the purpose of the checkpoints. Merely a byproduct

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

No, the purpose is to discourage people from travelling unnecessarily, thereby attempting to reduce the spread of the virus.

One of the mechanisms used to do this may be to delay and inconvenience people but there is an important and distinct difference between the two things. People are not being held up for the craic and I'm sure anyone would agree that the inconvenience experienced by people sitting in traffic is probably nothing compared to the hardship suffered by those who are on ventilators or burying family members.

The law states that everyone should stay in their homes.
    So no-one should be out in public except for the times prescribed by law. In order to check everyone for their valid lawful reason to be out of their homes, it is necessary for gardai to ask people for their legal valid reason, this in turn does hold everybody up, & inconveniences some people.
    Obviously that is not the purpose of the checkpoints. Merely a byproduct

And everyone says "shopping".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

You really think the Gardaí haven't thought of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Allinall wrote: »
    You really think the Gardaí haven't thought of that?

and what are they going to do about it exactly

sure I'm only up the road... going to the shop

They do I'm sure, but, if there's a car with 4 people in it then they're still breaking rules and it's a lot more difficult to get away with a lie.

Either they're not all related or living together and not social distancing so they could be fined turned around etc. OR they're all clearly from the same family but shouldn't be heading to the shops together anyway so they still get turned around.

A reduction in these situations is more beneficial than stopping a lone occupant in a car so they can lie all they want and will probably get away with. It doesn't mean there is no use in stopping people.

Naivety abounds.

Allinall wrote: »
    Naivety abounds.

any answer for us

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I've to go into work tomorrow, have a letter, are they doing checkpoints in the m50? do i need to leave 30 minutes earlier than usual?

Have travelled from Shankill to Tallaght without any issues at all. Very little vehicles on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lord almighty. It was an absolute disaster this evening on the Naas road.
    3 mile tail back 30 minutes delay to get through the check point.
    3 lanes into one 7/8 guards in a row in one single lane.

Ridiculous carry on.Its a pointless expensive exercise. Tell them what they want to hear and on u go.

Even the guards think it’s a joke. They must be sick of it also.

they have to increase the diesel usage somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah, I won't be making that mistake again, back roads for me next time, caught me off guard yesterday.

Have travelled from Shankill to Tallaght without any issues at all. Very little vehicles on the M50.

look at the traffic cams, tis empty

they are very loath to put road blocks on the m50 for safety reasons

everywhere is empty

and what are they going to do about it exactly

sure I'm only up the road... going to the shop

Garda: "Ah you're only up the road? Why does your tax disc and insurance cert say Cabra when you're driving around Malahide, surely there's shops between those two places?

Me: "Lidl has no flour...that's essential right?"

How do you deal with that? I may be a great liar but the gardai will catch me out within the first minute if they wanted to I'm sure.

• Advertisement

any answer for us

Na.

You carry on with your "I'm smarter" line.

As I said, naïve in the extreme.

Advertisement