Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

KeithTS wrote: »
    Garda: "Ah you're only up the road? Why does your tax disc and insurance cert say Cabra when you're driving around Malahide, surely there's shops between those two places?

Me: "Lidl has no flour...that's essential right?"

How do you deal with that? I may be a great liar but the gardai will catch me out within the first minute if they wanted to I'm sure.

Well that heffer Gemma o dokerty has been getting away with verbally abusing the guards, so maybe take that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Garda: "Ah you're only up the road? Why does your tax disc and insurance cert say Cabra when you're driving around Malahide, surely there's shops between those two places?

How do you deal with that? I may be a great liar but the gardai will catch me out within the first minute if they wanted to I'm sure.

my tax disc say Sandyford and I live in north dublin now, my licence says cork

any other questions

they aren't even checking these things, its way more casual than that

Allinall wrote: »
    Na.

You carry on with your "I'm smarter" line.

As I said, naïve in the extreme.

any answer yet?

you ever been stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They are looking for groups of people really as families would be traveling to their holiday homes, this is why they set up to stop this....

They are looking for groups of people really as families would be traveling to their holiday homes, this is why they set up to stop this....

how many people are even trying this? lot of hysteria

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Haven't read over the thread, but man is there some visible and welcome visible increase to the gards on the roads and streets.

Went through four separate checkpoints this morning already on my way to my first site of the day, lost count how many I got stopped at yesterday definitely 8+ including one outside Bray where a car load of young lads (late teens to early twenties) who I very much doubt were from the same family were pulled to the side of the road.

Apart from a fairly long tailback on the N7 southbound - fairly hassle free, I wear ID on my breast pocket for my job, which clearly states the nature of our work, but have several letters from key customers detailing how we are deemed as essential suppliers to them, but have never been asked to produce it.

They're doing a good job imo.

Absolutely- if you’ve a legitimate reason to be out and about the only issue you’ll have is the waiting time at these checkpoints- the guards certainly won’t be delaying you or questioning you unduly - that’s been my experience to date and I don’t see that changing.
    I’ve seen near whole families out in a car- I do wonder where all of them are going to- a funeral is the only thing that springs to mind- the more people in your car, the more you should be prepared for a bit more questioning

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Stopped 3 times yesterday, once so far today. Once the Garda see the Health worker sticker it's a smile and a wave on.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Moving is essential travel right?

Moving is essential travel right?

100%

just throw on a traveler accent and drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

how many people are even trying this? lot of hysteria

Honestly there was a lot, it's also to just put people off non essential travel.

Many driving many kilometres to go for a walk, all then stuck on top of each other in parks, walk ways and beaches etc etc....

It's because of all these they had to shut car parks and these places as there were way too many people.

• Advertisement

Honestly there was a lot, it's also to just put people off non essential travel.

Many driving many kilometres to go for a walk, all then stuck on top of each other in parks, walk ways and beaches etc etc....

It's because of all these they had to shut car parks and these places as there were way too many people.

yeah at the start the likes of glendalough, which is a traffic bottleneck were mad, but since the lockdown its not been bad really

I mean people going to holiday homes

I know one person and they did it before the lockdown as they were living with parents and havent left since then

its like all the english over on the ferry, but it was basically just bull

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

any other questions

Apologies if you've already said so earlier but have you been stopped in a car full of other people?

The questioning for somebody on their own in a car is going to differ from the cases where they pull a car load of potential holiday makers over for obvious reasons.

One thing I don't understand is there is a huge amount of criticism when the Gardai take action and a whole lot when they don't.

What do you suggest the answer is?

Apologies if you've already said so earlier but have you been stopped in a car full of other people?

The questioning for somebody on their own in a car is going to differ from the cases where they pull a car load of potential holiday makers over for obvious reasons.

One thing I don't understand is there is a huge amount of criticism when the Gardai take action and a whole lot when they don't.

What do you suggest the answer is?

I have no reason to be travelling with a load of people, so no

I mean single parent going to shops maybe, what are they to do

no criticism of the gardai at all

great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Scammell

I am on the road for my work (exempted role). I have travelled between Kilkenny, Clonmel, Waterford, Carlow and back to Kilkenny a few times between the hours of 7am and 7pm a few times during lockdown.

In the last 10 days I have only met the Gardaí on the bridge of Waterford (twice) and on M9 (once). Talking to colleagues they have not seen any guards all week in Kilkenny or Carlow!! There appears to have been an informal easing....there has also been an increase n vehicles and people about. This morning though has been quieter!

In fairness, when I met them, they were very pleasant and decent. I know they have a tough job but they seem to be getting worn out as well.:)

How are the Gardaí in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I travel around a bit as well ( allowed) and I had noticed over the easter weekend I was stopped 6 times over a 3 day period between the counties kildare , Laois and offaly but since then only stopped the once and no sign of any checkpoints yesterday or today as of yet and I have noticed a huge increase in the volume of traffic over the last week or so and this morning the traffic wasn’t far off a regular bank holiday Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Scammell wrote: »
    I am on the road for my work (exempted role). I have travelled between Kilkenny, Clonmel, Waterford, Carlow and back to Kilkenny a few times between the hours of 7am and 7pm a few times during lockdown.

In the last 10 days I have only met the Gardaí on the bridge of Waterford (twice) and on M9 (once). Talking to colleagues they have not seen any guards all week in Kilkenny or Carlow!! There appears to have been an informal easing....there has also been an increase n vehicles and people about. This morning though has been quieter!

In fairness, when I met them, they were very pleasant and decent. I know they have a tough job but they seem to be getting worn out as well.:)

How are the Gardaí in your area?

I have not been out and about very much (once or twice a week for a shop). I have met just one checkpoint since this began. Contrary to what a couple (in both senses of the word) of mentally unstable conspiracy theorists are claiming we are as far from a Gestapo style police state as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Patrolling the park ensuring social distancing is being adhered to, daily. I’ve witnessed as I previously posted a relatively small number of Gardai break up a BIG number of people not making any effort to socially distance and run them with a rather audible angry attitude and flea in their ear too.

They as I’ve said too, raided a local pub that was having an afternoon / early evening lock-in with a significant number of ‘patrons’ present.

I’ve been critical of the Gardai but I’m seeing some great and positive actions that are helping keeping people safe... and the wellbeing of the country secure. Despite the pressure times we are in the guys in the park patrolling seem cheerful and going about difficult work in decent humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The wife has been stopped going in and out of Dublin this week, each day. (3 days heading into work).

She was dropping medical stuff to her grandmother yesterday and was stopped heading into Bray. Chatting to her mother (at a distance) and wa told that there are checkpoints all over bray (her mother would drive her brother to work each day).

So the N11 and Bray, at least, are well checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is no address on your tax disc or insurance disc. They will probably ask you where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

There is no address on your tax disc or insurance disc. They will probably ask you where you live.

No idea why but I was 100% sure it was, just had a look and you're dead right.
    We learn something new every day!

Consider my previous statements null.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

harr wrote: »
    I travel around a bit as well ( allowed) and I had noticed over the easter weekend I was stopped 6 times over a 3 day period between the counties kildare , Laois and offaly but since then only stopped the once and no sign of any checkpoints yesterday or today as of yet and I have noticed a huge increase in the volume of traffic over the last week or so and this morning the traffic wasn’t far off a regular bank holiday Friday.

I am driving the length of Galway on a regular basis and I was only stopped twice - at Easter weekend. They were checking for holiday home idiots. I am expecting more checks this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

2 Gardai called to a neighbouring house yesterday and said they had a report that the husband and wife in their 70s were reported for walking along the road more than 2 kms
    They instructed them to stop or they would be prosecuted
    The Gardai then discovered they were in the wrong house
    It was two 80 year olds next door that they were looking for
    The woman of the house was in tears and is still shook
    The house is on a rural by road about 5 kms from a town

This is beyond ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mortelaro wrote: »
    2 Gardai called to a neighbouring house yesterday and said they had a report that the husband and wife in their 70s were reported for walking along the road more than 2 kms

Cocooning is advisory not compulsory.

I had a medical appointment yesterday in Maynooth. I drove up from Galway and back. I did not encounter 1 garda on the road no checkpoints nothing. I had my appointment letter with me as I was sure I would be stopped but didn't need it as there were no checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mortelaro wrote: »

I don't believe that for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Discodog wrote: »
    Cocooning is advisory not compulsory.
    That's true but the 2 km rule for exercise is compulsory.

For clarity, if a 71 year old leaves their house and goes for an exercise walk for 2.1 kms, they are in breach of the law because they went over the 2 km limit, not because they didn't cocoon themselves.

There is potential for fudge and spin here - many people want restrictions lifted. Will the government announce that they have relaxed the requirement for 70+ year olds to cocoon themselves and will now allow them to walk up to 2 kms - when the requirement didn't exist in the first place. That would fool a large propertion of the electorate into thinking that "something is being done".

Strumms wrote: »
    They as I’ve said too, raided a local pub that was having an afternoon / early evening lock-in with a significant number of ‘patrons’ present.
    A sweet pint but a very bitter aftertaste I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

any other questions

Eh... says nothing on mine....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Drove from wexford to dunlaoghaire this morning, stopped 3 times, all very pleasant and efficient.
    Well set up too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Allinall wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a moment.

You weren't speaking on the phone to the lady in question
    Perhaps you can look up the complaint when its dealt with :rolleyes:

Advertisement