Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Scammell wrote: »
    I am on the road for my work (exempted role). I have travelled between Kilkenny, Clonmel, Waterford, Carlow and back to Kilkenny a few times between the hours of 7am and 7pm a few times during lockdown.

In the last 10 days I have only met the Gardaí on the bridge of Waterford (twice) and on M9 (once). Talking to colleagues they have not seen any guards all week in Kilkenny or Carlow!! There appears to have been an informal easing....there has also been an increase n vehicles and people about. This morning though has been quieter!

In fairness, when I met them, they were very pleasant and decent. I know they have a tough job but they seem to be getting worn out as well.:)

How are the Gardaí in your area?

Stopped almost daily (sometimes twice) between Abbeyleix and Kilkenny for the last 2 weeks, and have passed a few checkpoints and been waved through. Work in health so it's not much hassle.

I had a medical appointment yesterday in Maynooth. I drove up from Galway and back. I did not encounter 1 garda on the road no checkpoints nothing. I had my appointment letter with me as I was sure I would be stopped but didn't need it as there were no checkpoints.

Drove a fair distance around Mayo this morning/afternoon. Not a Garda to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Mortelaro wrote: »
    2 Gardai called to a neighbouring house yesterday and said they had a report that the husband and wife in their 70s were reported for walking along the road more than 2 kms
    They instructed them to stop or they would be prosecuted
    The Gardai then discovered they were in the wrong house
    It was two 80 year olds next door that they were looking for
    The woman of the house was in tears and is still shook
    The house is on a rural by road about 5 kms from a town

This is beyond ridiculous

im gona call BS on that ,

and im not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Drove a fair distance around Mayo this morning/afternoon. Not a Garda to be seen.

Permanent Checkpoint in Bohola and outside Mount Falcon in Ballina. Garda cars very visible in Swinford today

this thread is nuts and a bit sad

some people are just making stuff up about their address being on tax disks and rabid gardai threatening pensioners .

if that pub serving pints one is true id say they wil never get a licence to sell drink again

other people are giving out that they aren't getting stopped enough while more are feeing they are getting stopped too much

most checkpoints are not on the motorway system as you need huge numbers to do that safely

there is no extra gardai for the weekend as they are out of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mynamejeff wrote: »
    some people are just making stuff up about their address being on tax disks and rabid gardai threatening pensioners .
    if that pub serving pints one is true id say they wil never get a licence to sell drink again
    other people are giving out that they aren't getting stopped enough while more are feeing they are getting stopped too much
    most checkpoints are not on the motorway system as you need huge numbers to do that safely

I think it's reasonable to query the location and amount of checkpoints, given their purpose.
    The location of the checkpoints at weekends where I have been stopped make no sense if the purpose is to enforce the restrictions, as they were on roads surrounded by supermarkets and pharmacies. One of them was outside a busy chemist.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

im gona call BS on that ,

and im not the only one

Well I can tell you it definitely happened
    If you want details you can pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Ah Jeff... you where doing great until the last BS Line ya just plain made up.... pity... you were getting a valid point across

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Discodog wrote: »

Not saying they were but if any of the 70 were like this clown a quick shot of a taser wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Discodog wrote: »
    when the person said they were going beyond the 2 kilometre limit to go to the shop.

Should somebody explain to GSOC that the 2km (now 5km) limit only applies to exercise, and has no relevance to anyone going to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

blade1 wrote: »
    Not saying they were but if any of the 70 were like this clown a quick shot of a taser wouldn't go astray.

That guy is a prime candidate for Mastermind alright. Even had his phone ready to video the event - pre-meditated attempt to frustrate a Garda in the course of her duty, in my opinion. He should be banned off the road and made to do some constructive community service that might help in the current situation, instead of deliberately trying be a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That guy is a prime candidate for Mastermind alright. Even had his phone ready to video the event - pre-meditated attempt to frustrate a Garda in the course of her duty, in my opinion. He should be banned off the road and made to do some constructive community service that might help in the current situation, instead of deliberately trying be a nuisance.

Edjit...

Can't be too many Michael's in Youghal (wearing pink trousers) that have to bring their driving license to the Gardai Station soon.

..and people are wondering why there are queues at check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I had to go to a cork co council recycling centre on tuesday, as they were opening for domestic waste only. Got stopped on a national sec rd only a couple of miles from home, it was the first checkpoint i came across since it started. Garda was saying it wasnt necessary until I told him I didnt have a wheelie bin service and it was all rubbish/recycling. He was fine with that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

The only guard I've seen in the last two weeks was hiding behind his car with a speed gun. I would have thought manning a checkpoint is more useful as this could prevent illegal speeding as well as unnecessary travel.

He probably just got tired of talking to the public and fancied a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

I returned to work this week and have been stopped 7-8 times. Some Gardai asked where I was going and when I said work just waved me on, others asked what I do for work. Not one asked for ID or to see a letter. No consistency, I could have been going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

I can't see the Guards keeping up the current level of checkpoints until July. I've not seen anything on if their current powers of arrest and issuing fines will be extended until then. Has anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mortelaro wrote: »
    2 Gardai called to a neighbouring house yesterday and said they had a report that the husband and wife in their 70s were reported for walking along the road more than 2 kms
    They instructed them to stop or they would be prosecuted
    The Gardai then discovered they were in the wrong house
    It was two 80 year olds next door that they were looking for
    The woman of the house was in tears and is still shook
    The house is on a rural by road about 5 kms from a town

This is beyond ridiculous

Pure rubbish.
    Did it take you long to make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Do the guards wear masks?

I haven't seen any with masks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Icepick wrote: »

Not routinely, no.

More info here:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-masks-5089552-May2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Edjit...

Can't be too many Michael's in Youghal (wearing pink trousers) that have to bring their driving license to the Gardai Station soon.

..and people are wondering why there are queues at check points.

No the whole place knows who it is.
    Will probably get hounded out of the place.
    The backlash will be vicious so I wouldn't wish that on anyone but he really is more than old enough to know better.
    The only good thing will be ,he might not be so stupid again although I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nope. They will lean into car windows not a bother on them with no mask. Seen it myself.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nope. They will lean into car windows not a bother on them with no mask. Seen it myself.

masks not issued and gardai are told not to wear them for fear of upsetting the public , a cost issue too I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Can anyone tell me what's the story in relation to travel & funerals? I may need to attend a funeral of a grandparent (or be present around the church/grave) in a different county. Do I need to request permission from the gardai etc?

Garda management have decided that guards should not wear masks. None are provided.

Can anyone tell me what's the story in relation to travel & funerals? I may need to attend a funeral of a grandparent (or be present around the church/grave) in a different county. Do I need to request permission from the gardai etc?

No- just have the funeral details from RIP.ie on ure phone to hand- they won’t look at least I’d be very surprised if they did- journey for funeral is classed as necessary so you won’t have any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

No- just have the funeral details from RIP.ie on ure phone to hand- they won’t look at least I’d be very surprised if they did- journey for funeral is classed as necessary so you won’t have any issues

From Citizens Information website :

Close family members can still attend funeral services burials and cremation provided the social distancing rules are respected. This relates to all funerals, including those of people who have died of COVID-19. There should not be more than 10 people in a church or at the graveside. This number may need to be smaller in small closed spaces and local churches may have other restrictions. If the deceased had no family, close friends may go to the funeral. The Government has published A Guide for the Bereaved during the COVID-19 Pandemic (pdf).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

blade1 wrote: »

He's a great example of how some people just don't have the brain cells to realise that their not as smart as they think they are. Does he not tune into the news or read a paper to understand the regulations? I'd say he's family are blessed with him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martin_123

I came across a recent article on the agriland website that stated turf "cutting" is allowed during Covid 19 lockdown. (Sorry can't post a link, since I'm a newbie!)

It doesn't mention whether the turf can be turned, footed or taken home. It only mentions turf "cutting"

I would have assumed so. However, a neighbour of mine was stopped at a checkpoint last week. When the guard heard he was going to the bog to turn turf, he was told to turn back, and that there "would be plenty time for that next July or August".

I'm somewhat surprised at this! Depending on weather, the turf may not be even worth taking home at that stage :-(

Why would they allow turf to be cut during the lock down but not allow it to be turned, footed and taken home?

Or was the guard in question mis-informed?

Hoping to go to the bog next week myself, circa 25 KM away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Martin_123 wrote: »
    I came across a recent article on the agriland website that stated turf "cutting" is allowed during Covid 19 lockdown. (Sorry can't post a link, since I'm a newbie!)

It doesn't mention whether the turf can be turned, footed or taken home. It only mentions turf "cutting"

I would have assumed so. However, a neighbour of mine was stopped at a checkpoint last week. When the guard heard he was going to the bog to turn turf, he was told to turn back, and that there "would be plenty time for that next July or August".

I'm somewhat surprised at this! Depending on weather, the turf may not be even worth taking home at that stage :-(

Why would they allow turf to be cut during the lock down but not allow it to be turned, footed and taken home?

Or was the guard in question mis-informed?

Hoping to go to the bog next week myself, circa 25 KM away from home.

The Garda was wrong.

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/fitzmaurice-secures-clarity-over-turf-cutting-during-covid-19

Advertisement