Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Agree with this.

The checks should be only if required - and by exception , no for the sake of

I put mine on the dash of the passenger side and she reached in for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

ToTheSea wrote: »
    I can't see the Guards keeping up the current level of checkpoints until July. I've not seen anything on if their current powers of arrest and issuing fines will be extended until then. Has anyone else?

I’d like to know this too

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

I’d like to know this too

All I can find is this article here:

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-powers-covid-189-extended-5090055-May2020/

extended to 18th of May. But I suppose they can always just extend it for a further three weeks once 18th May arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ToTheSea wrote: »
    I can't see the Guards keeping up the current level of checkpoints until July. I've not seen anything on if their current powers of arrest and issuing fines will be extended until then. Has anyone else?

Distance is increased to 20km by 8th June. They'll not do many checks at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

I understand that in the lead up to and over the bank holiday weekends they scale up the checkpoints big-time and even have 24 hour checkpoints on some main routes. But what is the situation like during weekdays and normal weekends that aren't around bank holidays? Do they have a large amount of checkpoints operating all the time? I am able to WFH so I haven't been driving around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Distance is increased to 20km by 8th June. They'll not do many checks at that stage.

Yeah no chance of that being enforceable. Drew harris said the other day they can't keep the current level up for much longer.

conor2469 wrote: »
    I understand that in the lead up to and over the bank holiday weekends they scale up the checkpoints big-time and even have 24 hour checkpoints on some main routes. But what is the situation like during weekdays and normal weekends that aren't around bank holidays? Do they have a large amount of checkpoints operating all the time? I am able to WFH so I haven't been driving around.

They have been every day every week except Tuesdays, for some reason, on the N road near us. Weekends Friday to Monday on the minor road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Tuesdays have been set aside for Gemma O'Doherty Special Tactics training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was in work during the week and today.

Went through a checkpoint every day during the week but none today.

peckerhead wrote: »
    Tuesdays have been set aside for Gemma O'Doherty Special Tactics training.

You're hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Drove up N11 to Dublin 2 at 8am on Tuesday for work, checkpoint at cabinteely. Returning home at 6pm there was a checkpoint at belfield, another at cabinteely ( same gardai as morning time) and a huge one on the M11 bray bypass. That's all within a twenty minute drive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Drove up N11 to Dublin 2 at 8am on Tuesday for work, checkpoint at cabinteely. Returning home at 6pm there was a checkpoint at belfield, another at cabinteely ( same gardai as morning time) and a huge one on the M11 bray bypass. That's all within a twenty minute drive

Yeah they're always around the n11, the one at bray is a fixed checkpoint until Monday night. Did D1 to bray today, stopped at mount street bridge, foxrock and Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All I can find is this article here:

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-powers-covid-189-extended-5090055-May2020/

extended to 18th of May. But I suppose they can always just extend it for a further three weeks once 18th May arrives.

This says 18th May

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Discodog wrote: »

Yes, that says 5 May, but we can presumably expect new regulations to be put in place tomorrow (as happened last time they were due to end)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

BMurr wrote: »
    He's a great example of how some people just don't have the brain cells to realise that their not as smart as they think they are. Does he not tune into the news or read a paper to understand the regulations? I'd say he's family are blessed with him. :rolleyes:

Yep, he sounds like a right *ic*, just trying to be difficult. But I'm not sure if that Garda is right though, Civic amenity centres are open and still allow for the disposal of refuse or recycling waste. Many people use these instead of a kerbside collection, so I don't how how disposing of refuse is not deemed essential, it's a potential health hazard if not disposed of. Recycling waste might be different, but that should also be allowed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

JL555 wrote: »
    Yep, he sounds like a right *ic*, just trying to be difficult. But I'm not sure if that Garda is right though, Civic amenity centres are open and still allow for the disposal of refuse or recycling waste. Many people use these instead of a kerbside collection, so I don't how how disposing of refuse is not deemed essential, it's a potential health hazard if not disposed of. Recycling waste might be different, but that should also be allowed imo.

He said he went out to the roundabout because he felt like it.
    He lost the argument there and then.

Discodog wrote: »

So they didn't update the website. Simon Harris signed the necessary order yesterday to extend to 18th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

has anyone been fined 2500 for being outside 5km radius? as in travel not deemed essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Acey10 wrote: »
    has anyone been fined 2500 for being outside 5km radius? as in travel not deemed essential?
    Bit early for that?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

mfceiling wrote: »
    The €350 payment will have to keep coming if the spread of the virus isn't contained. Too many clowns out and about or trying to look for loopholes that they can argue allows them to be where they want.
    Stay at home and stop the spread.

I thought the spread is done by: people shopping/frontline workers/nursing home workes/family visits.
    Not by crossing the 2km magical circule, sitting inside the car.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Bit early for that?

"Non-compliance with a direction of a Garda without a lawful excuse will be a criminal offence. Any offence is punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, up to six months imprisonment or a combination of both."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html

"Non-compliance with a direction of a Garda without a lawful excuse will be a criminal offence. Any offence is punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, up to six months imprisonment or a combination of both."

:D But it's not a 5 km limit yet.

I thought you could be fined from April when the new regulations that gave the Garda more power came in, my mistake.

I thought you could be fined from April when the new regulations that gave the Garda more power came in, my mistake.

You missed the joke. You asked had anybody been fined for exceeding 5km and somebody said it's a bit early (meaning it's 2km at the moment and 5km hasn't kicked in yet). This was then pointed out to you......oh forget it.

On Saturday afternoon, the long, straight road was deserted at times. Still, gardaí had turned back several cars over the course of the afternoon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-checkpoints-in-galway-if-we-stop-the-traffic-and-footfall-will-grow-1.4244088

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I drove through a checkpoint yesterday and the guard didn't even stop me, he just waved me on. It's like they were there just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, for some reason the N11 is red hot for checks. Pick any 2 of Donnybrook Bus Station, Belfield, Foxrock Church, Cabinteely and a more permanent one at the Bray North exit. Continuing down the N11 Ashford. Surely there are not still heroes trying to get to their caravans in Wexford at this stage, I thought that had ceased

Anyway they are there for a reason, stay at home

You missed the joke. You asked had anybody been fined for exceeding 5km and somebody said it's a bit early (meaning it's 2km at the moment and 5km hasn't kicked in yet). This was then pointed out to you......oh forget it.

ah ok, sorry

From what I was reading it's only people with no tax insurance or on drugs that are being prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

:D But it's not a 5 km limit yet.

Just to clarify, the current 2km limit, which will be 5km from tomorrow, ONLY APPLIES TO EXERCISE and has no relevance to any other journey, such as shopping or caring for relatives. You can go 1km or 100km for shopping or to care for relatives. There is no limit on distance in current regulations for essential journeys.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, the current 2km limit, which will be 5km from tomorrow, ONLY APPLIES TO EXERCISE and has no relevance to any other journey, such as shopping or caring for relatives. You can go 1km or 100km for shopping or to care for relatives. There is no limit on distance in current regulations for essential journeys.

The limit is what an individual Garda decides. I know people that have driven 100 km with no issue & others that were told that they must use their closest supermarket.

Advertisement