Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

NI Loophole - I was talking to someone in Belfast yesterday, he does not follow Irish media/news ect. He believes "restrictions are going to be eased kids back to school start of June" he pleased to be able to leave his house and head to caravan in Donegal after the weekend until they back to school.
    I was telling him about the 'rules' in Ireland phased approach will be end July before camp sites can open ect all news to his ears. He then said oh I'll just head up get the place ready for July then ?!?!?!?
    So maybe some marketing campaign is needed up in NI to let people know they cannot go to Donegal. I believe due to less restrictions and no testing higher chance of them having Covid too.
    If I was in border counties watching people come and go on days out from NI would be frustrated.
    I'm 8km for a beach really miss it had hoped it was 5km and I'd get to go today but checked distance. Really dissapointed and annoyed that my 'local' beach will most possibly be empty but I still wont go and others will travel 100+km from Belfast and enjoy a beach which possibly busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Have people seen many armed checkpoints? I was a bit surprised to be stopped by a guard with "armed guard" on their vest. Didn't see any gun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ax530 wrote: »
    NI Loophole - I was talking to someone in Belfast yesterday, he does not follow Irish media/news ect. He believes "restrictions are going to be eased kids back to school start of June" he pleased to be able to leave his house and head to caravan in Donegal after the weekend until they back to school.
    I was telling him about the 'rules' in Ireland phased approach will be end July before camp sites can open ect all news to his ears. He then said oh I'll just head up get the place ready for July then ?!?!?!?
    So maybe some marketing campaign is needed up in NI to let people know they cannot go to Donegal. I believe due to less restrictions and no testing higher chance of them having Covid too.
    If I was in border counties watching people come and go on days out from NI would be frustrated.
    I'm 8km for a beach really miss it had hoped it was 5km and I'd get to go today but checked distance. Really dissapointed and annoyed that my 'local' beach will most possibly be empty but I still wont go and others will travel 100+km from Belfast and enjoy a beach which possibly busier.

The issue here is they legally can. That's where the frustration you mention comes from. There's also no plans to change that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I carried mainly free travel pass holders yesterday all out for the day at the parks or friends, cans littered the bus, one absolutely stank of weed after collecting his stash in the city before heading home to the end of the route.

Essential travel me hole.....

This lockdown has been the lamest attempt at one that I've ever seen.... They didn't take this seriously at all....

When on a route you get to know those genuinely heading to or from work and those that have had a skin full or have been out at the beach or parks...... Or mates house...

Carrying more kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭4Ad

Seen some of our Amish friends in their vans and mint caravans heading for the ferry through Dublin city centre last night.....

At least they were heading TO the ferry...

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote: »
    At least they were heading TO the ferry...

Wonder what presents they left behind...

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have people seen many armed checkpoints? I was a bit surprised to be stopped by a guard with "armed guard" on their vest. Didn't see any gun though.

Glock or similar tucked in under jacket....

They tend to try keep them hidden as people can get a bit nervous when seen...

JeffKenna wrote: »

I think it's more "all hands on deck" than anything else. There's Gardai walking around on foot at the moment that probably rarely leave their desks otherwise.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I think it's more "all hands on deck" than anything else. There's Gardai walking around on foot at the moment that probably rarely leave their desks otherwise.

Possibly true but they are damn needed and this level of patrolling is needed....

Possibly true but they are damn needed and this level of patrolling is needed....

I don't disagree and in fact it's something that should continue long beyond CV19 really.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree and in fact it's something that should continue long beyond CV19 really.

I'm actually surprised though that there hasn't been more looting or thefts especially in the city centre as all that's walking around or hanging around are dodgy as fook people.....

Drug addicts and scum bags out on the prowl....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Breezin wrote: »
    So actually we can't travel because our vehicles are so unreliable?
    In any case, I've never felt the urge to hug an oily mechanic or an AA man.
    Really, this is a nonsense when set against the risks of contamination from other activities.

Well accidents and breakdowns happen, and accidents more likely to occur the more vehicles are in motion.

But mainly it comes down to what can be enforced. As you pass a checkpoint the Guards can't seal you into the vehicle and then unseal you on your return to ensure you didn't leave the vehicle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Well accidents and breakdowns happen, and accidents more likely to occur the more vehicles are in motion.

But mainly it comes down to what can be enforced. As you pass a checkpoint the Guards can't seal you into the vehicle and then unseal you on your return to ensure you didn't leave the vehicle.

Again, the risk is minuscule compared with other activities. We can play golf and tennis, but we can't drive? How on earth does that make sense?

Did you see the literally incredible contortions that tennis clubs say they are going to put into effect to maintain social distancing? Wholly unenforceable but somehow acceptable to our authorities.

Breezin wrote: »
    Again, the risk is minuscule compared with other activities. We can play golf and tennis, but we can't drive? How on earth does that make sense?
    Did you see the literally incredible contortions that tennis clubs say they are going to put into effect to maintain social distancing? Wholly unenforceable but somehow acceptable to our authorities.

I haven't seen the figures behind the reasoning for the phases of restrictions within 2km ... 5km... 20km so I can't say whether it makes sense or not. Just these phased restrictions seem to have an internal logic of 2km ... 5km... 20km that they are working from.
    You can play golf or tennis but only if the club is within 5km of where you live, for example.

But really it comes back to there's no essential reason to go for a drive beyond 5km right now. And no way to enforce \ ensure that someone is just going for a drive and won't be leaving their vehicle and having interactions outside their area.
    Maybe the tennis contortions are ludicrous, but that's a whataboutery argument rather than a real justification of why you should be able to drive further than the prescribed distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You're not seeing the bigger picture, it is broken window theory in action. One group breaks the rules, other people see them get away with it and then they break the rules andthe next thing you know everyone is at it. Its pretty obvious that this is what is happening right now, at least in my area which is popular with cyclists. There was none of them around the Easter bank holiday but last weekend there was a trickle of them and now its turning into a flood. These cyclists are just being selfish, the rules are there for the health of the entire nation but they seem to think they are more important that others who are obeying them.

so banning the cyclists off the roads will make our nation healthier or what?

And no way to enforce \ ensure that someone is just going for a drive and won't be leaving their vehicle and having interactions outside their area.
    There is no way to enforce that someone with un-diagnosed COVID can go to the supermarket and touch, sneeze on the products.
    Should we ban the supermarkets all together?
    Just bring some food to people's homes (throw them from the back of the truck)?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

I haven't seen the figures behind the reasoning for the phases of restrictions within 2km ... 5km... 20km so I can't say whether it makes sense or not. Just these phased restrictions seem to have an internal logic of 2km ... 5km... 20km that they are working from.
    You can play golf or tennis but only if the club is within 5km of where you live, for example.

But really it comes back to there's no essential reason to go for a drive beyond 5km right now. And no way to enforce \ ensure that someone is just going for a drive and won't be leaving their vehicle and having interactions outside their area.
    Maybe the tennis contortions are ludicrous, but that's a whataboutery argument rather than a real justification of why you should be able to drive further than the prescribed distances.

There's no whataboutery about it. In the context of the easing of restrictions, it is relevant and necessary to compare the risks of one activity with that of others.

There is absolutely zero virus contagion risk to the core activity of travelling by road. Other related risks, such as the remote possibility of needing breakdown assistance or crashing, are negligible in terms of transmission when compared with the range of allowed activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

na1 wrote: »
    From 5 May 2020, you can leave your house for exercise or for a drive, but you should continue to avoid contact with other people.

source:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/covid19_what_you_need_to_do.html

I think Citizens Information may have overreached.

There is nothing about 'going for a drive' in the Government guidance;

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

I'm pretty sure it's what leo said during his speech.

Its for reasons of enforcement - if you were allowed to drive a greater or unlimited distance from your home provided you did not get out of your car, everyone who gets pulled over at a checkpoint would just say they were going for a drive and restrictions would not be enforceable. Same with cyclists - want to go visit your friend 25km away - head off for a cycle and say you are just getting exercise and not meeting anyone if pulled over. Vast majority of cyclists or people who just head out for a drive are being responsible, however guards cannot make that determination for everyone, so a rigid rule was put in place.

• Advertisement

There is no way to enforce that someone with un-diagnosed COVID can go to the supermarket and touch, sneeze on the products.
    Should we ban the supermarkets all together?
    Just bring some food to people's homes (throw them from the back of the truck)?

Not sure what the relevance of this whataboutery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WhereAmINow

anyone know know what the checkpoint situation is between greystones and Dublin, either along the n11 or the m50, during "normal" days, ie not any of the bank holiday weekends? i've been staying with my brother as was visiting him when the restrictions were first announced, but I live in Dublin so need to head back that way to my own home. I "assume" its a necessary-ish journey, as its a once off, as opposed to me freely cruising in and out of town, but not sure how the gards are treating cases like this? cheers

Not sure what the relevance of this whataboutery is.

What is the point of locking everyone at home?

anyone know know what the checkpoint situation is between greystones and Dublin, either along the n11 or the m50, during "normal" days, ie not any of the bank holiday weekends? i've been staying with my brother as was visiting him when the restrictions were first announced, but I live in Dublin so need to head back that way to my own home. I "assume" its a necessary-ish journey, as its a once off, as opposed to me freely cruising in and out of town, but not sure how the gards are treating cases like this? cheers

You be grand.

Checkpoints on motorways are gone....

Obviously still popping up around other roads ..

What is the point of locking everyone at home?

So as not to spread the virus....

If we continued in normal mode, hospitals would have been overrun and they actually would be having to pick who lives or dies as in who gets a ventilator.... A 50 year old or and 80 year old and so on.....

The junkies, scum bags and travellers were untouched by any lockdown rules...

I've unfortunately been carrying many on the bus and it's ridiculous as they aren't stopped, I've been constantly getting stopped to and from work and can't travel to see my Dad.

Haven't seen him since 12th March.

they say: people can go up to 5 kilometres from their home to exercise
    They didn't say: people can walk up to 5 kilometres,
    So I'd assume you're free to drive up to 5 km

So as not to spread the virus....

I believe the supermarkets and other shops are much bigger contributors for spreading the virus (unless you have evidence?), than the drivers who drive around the country (and not making any contacts with locals)
    So why not banning supermarkets, but banning drivers?

I believe the supermarkets and other shops are much bigger contributors for spreading the virus (unless you have evidence?), than the drivers who drive around the country (and not making any contacts with locals)
    So why not banning supermarkets, but banning drivers?

See this is exactly why they had to put these measures in place..... People don't just go for a drive, they drive to parks, beaches for a coffee etc.... More risk ..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

Totally agree with you. If anything the current level of checkpoints should always have been the norm.

• Advertisement

See this is exactly why they had to put these measures in place..... People don't just go for a drive, they drive to parks, beaches for a coffee etc.... More risk ..

the public gathering is banned isn't it?

its the same as banning cars all together:
    the cars/motorcycles are used to spread the virus across the county - so lets ban the cars and motorcycles!

Advertisement