Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WhereAmINow

You be grand.

Checkpoints on motorways are gone....

Obviously still popping up around other roads ..

cheers, yeh just need to get onto the n11/m50 and i'm singing so. its a bit weird as you "feel" you're doing something wrong, but i just need to get home really, nothing exciting about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

na1 wrote: »
    I believe the supermarkets and other shops are much bigger contributors for spreading the virus (unless you have evidence?), than the drivers who drive around the country (and not making any contacts with locals)
    So why not banning supermarkets, but banning drivers?

Stop looking for loopholes and stay at home unless you have to go outside. You can't go driving wherever you want. It's the likes of you is the reason we are locked down even more, as the virus is still spreading.

None of us want to be locked away at home but it's for the greater good. Just roll with it please.

So as not to spread the virus....

The junkies, scum bags and travellers were untouched by any lockdown rules....

And how have they fared against the virus I wonder? I haven't heard a mention of clusters popping up in hostels or halting sites.
    Why is that?

I believe the supermarkets and other shops are much bigger contributors for spreading the virus (unless you have evidence?), than the drivers who drive around the country (and not making any contacts with locals)

How does a guard know if you are a responsible driver avoiding all contact, or a chancer off to meet their mates? By restricting all unnecessary travel enforcement is enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

the public gathering is banned isn't it?

its the same as banning cars all together:
    the cars/motorcycles are used to spread the virus across the county - so lets ban the cars and motorcycles!

Good lad, hopefully nobody close loses their life due to others recklessness.

I'm going to work to carry essential workers to and from work.... The norm hasn't exactly been that though....
    We have out busy times where they start or finish shifts in nursing homes, hospitals and so on and then outside this we are carrying absolute as# hats... Free travel users that rules don't apply to...

To be honest the cards should be blocked while this was implemented.
    Buses littered with cans.
    Getting the wiff of weed a lot too so many are traveling to get their gear and bring it home....

These people are putting others and me at risk....

The UK has lost 25 or more bus drivers to this virus.

• Advertisement

For god's sake, People still asking the same irritating questions.
    Yes you could catch it in a supermarket, but supermarkets have been deemed necessary, as we all need to eat.
    The limits of people travelling for recreation that is not essential is in order to keep outbreaks local.
    It's not difficult.
    Just stay home unless you have an essential journey to make. It's not for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just stay home unless you have an essential journey to make. It's not for much longer.

It's mid/late-July for most per the current timelines. That's 2.5 months from now - and subject to the extremely vague criteria being met in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

pablo128 wrote: »
    Stop looking for loopholes and stay at home unless you have to go outside. You can't go driving wherever you want. It's the likes of you is the reason we are locked down even more, as the virus is still spreading.
    So if I drive around (without leaving the car) I will be spreading the virus?
    Or people driving get the government annoyed and they lock everyone in prision cells?
    Can you elaborate bit more?

These are not a loopholes, this is a common sense vs idiotic restrictions.

For god's sake, People still asking the same irritating questions.
    Yes you could catch it in a supermarket, but supermarkets have been deemed necessary, as we all need to eat.
    They can throw food on the streets.
    They basically do the same with driving restrictions: lets ban everyone from driving, just in case they infect anyone.
    The limits of people travelling for recreation that is not essential is in order to keep outbreaks local.
    It's not difficult.
    It IS DIFFICULT!
    And it DOES NOT prevent spreading the virus.

This is like suggesting total ban on the alcohol and cigarettes, because they kill people on the roads, and by cancer.

as we all need to eat.
    Can we just supply every household with a pack of spuds, oil, eggs & milk?
    This will surely be enough for survive!

Why do you want any extra food? Just stay at home util the pandemic is over.
    Otherwise the lockdown will continue!

• Advertisement

How does a guard know if you are a responsible driver avoiding all contact, or a chancer off to meet their mates? By restricting all unnecessary travel enforcement is enabled.

Lets ban alcohol then?
    How the seller would know you're a responsible drinker, and don't drink & drive for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If that were true I'd agree with you. But it's an extremely long time on the back of a very long time already. I despaired when i saw the tripe Varadkar presented to us on Friday.

They can throw food on the streets.
    They basically do the same with driving restrictions: lets ban everyone from driving, just in case they infect anyone.

It IS DIFFICULT!
    And it DOES NOT prevent spreading the virus.

This is like suggesting total ban on the alcohol and cigarettes, because they kill people on the roads, and by cancer.

Do you need to go to buy food?
    Do you need to drive to Limerick for the craic?
    Its as simple as that, you need to do one, you don't need to do the other, that's why one is restricted and the other isn't.
    Now provided your car is roadworthy and you drive with due care and attention driving to limerick and back or wherever else does not add any risk form a virus point of view. But someone stopping an individual by the Barack Obama plaza who when questioned about why the are are travelling to Limerick and responding "For the craic" can reasonably be expected to be treated with some suspicion. So by not permitting travel, you remove that level of doubt and those tasked with enforcing the rules can reasonably enquire as to whether your trip to Limerick is an essential journey or not

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

pablo128 wrote: »

None of us want to be locked away at home but it's for the greater good. Just roll with it please.

Gosh. It'd be awful if someone found a loophole. And in Ireland of all places! :D

Anyone for tennis? What's your handicap? 'How about ye? It's lovely to be down south again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So if I drive around (without leaving the car) I will be spreading the virus?
    Or people driving get the government annoyed and they lock everyone in prision cells?
    Can you elaborate bit more?

These are not a loopholes, this is a common sense vs idiotic restrictions.

But where do you want to go? Certain roads to beauty spots are blocked,feck all is open. There is nothing different in another county than in your own.
    Once a few start going for drives, suddenly everyone will be at it. Exactly the same carry on at the start of this when everyone started clearing out shops because they saw someone else grab 100 rolls of toilet roll and 50 gallons of sanitiser and suddenly everyone was doing the same.
    The less needless traffic on the roads lowers the risk of collisions and accidents and leaves medical staff free to concentrate on taking care of those who need help.
    The checks are there to cut down on people going for a spin, plus it shows how many people were making unnecessary journeys, like yourself with "I'm not leaving my car". So what's the point in going anywhere then,is it just driving around for the sake of it?

So what's the point in going anywhere then,is it just driving around for the sake of it?

Sure what's the point of doing anything?

Do you need to go to buy food?
    you don't need to go to the shop to get the food
    Do you need to drive to Limerick for the craic?
    what if you do need to drive around for sightseeing just to make your brain relaxed ?
    Currently were are all prisoners with just a 2km border of the prison camp.
    Now provided your car is roadworthy and you drive with due care and attention driving to limerick and back or wherever else does not add any risk form a virus point of view. But someone stopping an individual by the Barack Obama plaza who when questioned about why the are are travelling to Limerick and responding "For the craic" can reasonably be expected to be treated with some suspicion.
    Again: ban the crowds! Let gards attend any potential location of public gathering and check them out? Why don't check the halting sites btw?

But where do you want to go? Certain roads to beauty spots are blocked,feck all is open. There is nothing different in another county than in your own.
    So you don't mind to be placed in a prison cell?
    What's the issue?
    You'll get free food, TV, books to read, you can actually go outside for a short walk in a prison garden. It won't be 2km wide, but still...

Breezin wrote: »
    Sure what's the point of doing anything?

As it is, there's feck all open and the reply was to "what if I drive around and not leave the car".
    My missus was stopped again yesterday going to and from work, the amount of others on the road on a bank holiday Monday was pretty high considering the restrictions,a lot were being quizzed in detail and Gardai were busy with the notebooks.
    This is like the guy last week who was saying "sure what harm am I doing if I go to a beauty spot to chill out,I deserve it". That might seem grand in isolation but you can be damn sure that there's many more with the same idea.

This is like the guy last week who was saying "sure what harm am I doing if I go to a beauty spot to chill out,I deserve it". That might seem grand in isolation but you can be damn sure that there's many more with the same idea.
    Social distancing?

• Advertisement

As it is, there's feck all open and the reply was to "what if I drive around and not leave the car".
    My missus was stopped again yesterday going to and from work, the amount of others on the road on a bank holiday Monday was pretty high considering the restrictions,a lot were being quizzed in detail and Gardai were busy with the notebooks.
    Not everyone travels to buy stuff.

DpID6EzW4AAZl4q.jpg

Not everyone travels to buy stuff.

DpID6EzW4AAZl4q.jpg

Did I mention anything about buying stuff. Why do some people feel the need to push the boundaries just for the sake of it?
    It's like that episode of Fr Ted where he tells Dougal not to press the button.
    It's about being socially responsible so we can get back to normal as quickly as possible but if there's eejits who think they can drive where they want,walk where they want,have house parties, street parties then we need checks in place no matter how objectionable they may seem because some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing and are just selfish.

f there's eejits who think they can drive where they want,walk where they want,have house parties, street parties then we need checks in place no matter how objectionable they may seem because some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing and are just selfish.
    Stop bashing travellers!

Did I mention anything about buying stuff. Why do some people feel the need to push the boundaries just for the sake of it?
    It's like that episode of Fr Ted where he tells Dougal not to press the button.
    It's about being socially responsible so we can get back to normal as quickly as possible but if there's eejits who think they can drive where they want,walk where they want,have house parties, street parties then we need checks in place no matter how objectionable they may seem because some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing and are just selfish.

All right. Full sermon mode selected; reasonable argument abandoned. No point in engaging further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Many motorway checkpoints today?
    Have to travel to my elderly parents tomorrow to some house maintenance , just wondering is there many checkpoints still on the go? They live a good bit away from me. Obviously will be maintaining social distancing etc

All right. Full sermon mode selected; reasonable argument abandoned. No point in engaging further.

What's unreasonable about following a few simple rules for a while?
    Maybe you are reading and listening to Gemma O Doherty's preaching too much if you want to talk about sermons.
    The restrictions are a pain in the hoop but that's the hand we've been dealt so deal with it.

you don't need to go to the shop to get the food

what if you do need to drive around for sightseeing just to make your brain relaxed ?
    Currently were are all prisoners with just a 2km border of the prison camp.

Again: ban the crowds! Let gards attend any potential location of public gathering and check them out? Why don't check the halting sites btw?

You do need to go to the shop to buy food as there are massive backlogs for home delivery in many places.

There is no need to go sightseeing, and I suggest if you need to drive around to make your brain relaxed you may be able to get a medical professional to certify that driving is essential for your medical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's unreasonable about following a few simple rules for a while
    Maybe you are reading and listening to Gemma O Doherty's preaching too much if you want to talk about sermons.
    The restrictions are a pain in the hoop but that's the hand we've been dealt so deal with it.

The "rules" are highly restrictive, ambiguous, largely pointless and going on for far too long. And the space cadets in NPHET/leo/Harris want to drag them out for another three months. No wonder so many are absolutely fed up.
    They should all be optional now i.e. those that want as you say want to and believe in "few simple rules for a while" are absolutely free to do so. The rest of us can go back to being free adults with a brain of our own and don't need Govt dictates messaged every 30 mins from RTE.

You do need to go to the shop to buy food as there are massive backlogs for home delivery in many places..
    We have ~1 million getting paid 350 for doing nothing... surely there will be plenty of free workforce.
    There is no need to go sightseeing, and I suggest if you need to drive around to make your brain relaxed you may be able to get a medical professional to certify that driving is essential for your medical health.

Why in general criminals get locked? If there is nothing bad of being locked and not be able to travel?

So you're OK to be locked in a prison cell? If living in a prison is OK for you, it is not for the rest of the people.
    Actually at some aspect the prisoners are in better position, because they don't have to work to get the food on the table.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    The "rules" are highly restrictive, ambiguous, largely pointless and going on for far too long. And the space cadets in NPHET/leo/Harris want to drag them out for another three months. No wonder so many are absolutely fed up.
    They should all be optional now i.e. those that want as you say want to and believe in "few simple rules for a while" are absolutely free to do so. The rest of us can go back to being free adults with a brain of our own and don't need Govt dictates messaged every 30 mins from RTE.

While I agree with you, there's always those in our society who just can't do the right thing.
    Even now we are seeing people being stopped for drink and drug driving despite knowing that the chance of meeting a checkpoint is exponentially higher than at any stage before. You can bet that they aren't making essential journeys.
    As the saying goes "this is why we can't have nice things", there's always someone out there who ruins it for everyone else.

One thing I will say is that some Gardai are taking things too far. I was talking to one guy who said that family members were dropping groceries to their elderly parents in a rural area who are terrified to go out and about and were told by a Garda that they couldn't do it and should contact the local authorities to do it. Now if it was me, I'd rather a family member calling rather than a stranger who you don't know how many people they had contact with.

Advertisement