Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I am sure you should too, some bit of evidence to show might be handy just in case, copy of birth cert maybe or passport, just to prove you have a child :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 campmed

Had about 30 neighbours tanning and drinking together for hours in empty space of the parking lot outside the apartment a few days ago. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

campmed wrote: »
    Had about 30 neighbours tanning and drinking together for hours in empty space of the parking lot outside the apartment a few days ago. Absolutely disgraceful.

I hope you receive counselling to help you get over the shock.

Tanning you say the horror.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I met 2 very pleasant and good humored guards on my way to and from work could not have been more courteous and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Obviously people aren't bothered anymore as I'm seeing all sorts out and traffic is up big time too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Obviously people aren't bothered anymore as I'm seeing all sorts out and traffic is up big time too....

More and more employers that were allowed open anyway but just weren't are opening. There is no other explanation for where people are going at 7am than work - they aren't going shopping or to try get a Teddys at that hour! TII traffic counters for roads in/out of the city show the increase is nearly all at commute hours.

Locally a few service providers, four restauarants and a retail bakery have reopened in the past few days for instance.

Haven't seen a checkpoint since Friday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coke2583

I need to travel from Galway to Dublin to move out of my rented house. I'm worried about being stopped but I need to move out. Should I make the journey or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

coke2583 wrote: »
    I need to travel from Galway to Dublin to move out of my rented house. I'm worried about being stopped but I need to move out. Should I make the journey or not?

I'd say that's essential myself. Do you have an email with dates you've to be out by?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are you looking for an official reply to this?

Because you won't get one here. Just a selection of random opinions, some a small bit better informed than others, but still the random opinions of strangers behind a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Have they stopped checking?
    Not that there was much checking to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rodin wrote: »
    Have they stopped checking?
    Not that there was much checking to start with.

Not true there was a lot checking going on- particularly on motorways and N roads. They had parts of the M9 coned off into a junction to do checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have not seen any checkpoints recently have been down to Mullingar from Dublin not a huge journey but met checkpoints the previous times .

Has anyone been stopped going from Galway to Dublin? Even on trains or busses?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are you looking for an official reply to this?

Because you won't get one here. Just a selection of random opinions, some a small bit better informed than others, but still the random opinions of strangers behind a keyboard.

Clicking any thread on the covid19 forum these last few days reminds me of visiting my depressed brother in a mental ward during the late 90's. You'd take a deep breath before you open the door but you knew you would have to breath in the stale air eventually. Gray faces in dressing gowns wandering aimlessly about. And you try not to make eye-contact for fear of some mad outburst unleashed on you.
    As in these threads, you look for a sane person to get an update of the situation, but lately there aren't many left to be found.

Clicking any thread on the covid19 forum these last few days reminds me of visiting my depressed brother in a mental ward during the late 90's. You'd take a deep breath before you open the door but you knew you would have to breath in the stale air eventually. Gray faces in dressing gowns wandering aimlessly about. And you try not to make eye-contact for fear of some mad outburst unleashed on you.
    As in these threads, you look for a sane person to get an update of the situation, but lately there aren't many left to be found.

V sorry about your brother - but :D

All the threads are morphing into one giant angry echo chamber lately, it's only a kind of a perverse masochism keeps me going into them but I'll have to stop soon for my own sanity.....

What a strange, strange analogy.

What a strange, strange analogy.

I thought it was great!

Maybe you need some help? Very strange comments to make to be honest, people usually tend to be very helpful on boards.... If you were on after hours I'd say you would be ripped a new one....

Maybe you need some help? Very strange comments to make to be honest, people usually tend to be very helpful on boards.... If you were on after hours I'd say you would be ripped a new one....

I'm all good thanks. Are you saying there aren't a lot of slightly unwell posters haunting these threads? It's not a criticism, just an observation. And it's not controversial either. People who spend all their day on message boards would be more likely to be in need of some help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Brilliant and spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

I need to go from Dublin to Galway to see my 98 y.o. mother. Do ye think I'd be safe enough I headed off at 4am?

I need to go from Dublin to Galway to see my 98 y.o. mother. Do ye think I'd be safe enough I headed off at 4am?

If you are checking in on a loved one and that is a genuine reason to travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

road_high wrote: »
    Not true there was a lot checking going on- particularly on motorways and N roads. They had parts of the M9 coned off into a junction to do checks.

Haven't been stopped once. In and out of work in a town every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Rodin wrote: »
    Haven't been stopped once. In and out of work in a town every day.

Not a competition...but checkout the garda twitter posts in the motors section to see some checkpoint examples.

Thankfully they are out there catching a lot of uninsured/Illegal drivers! :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Been stopped 6 times in the last three weeks.

No problem at all. I'm working from home but I need to go to the office about once a week to get files and do prints. Explained that every time and never an issue.

The check points seem to be all day ones as there are in the same location in the morning as they are on the afternoon.

They have lost the people as a whole imo....

People are just doing as they please.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WhereAmINow

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Been stopped 6 times in the last three weeks.

No problem at all. I'm working from home but I need to go to the office about once a week to get files and do prints. Explained that every time and never an issue.

The check points seem to be all day ones as there are in the same location in the morning as they are on the afternoon.

where abouts were they setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They have lost the people as a whole imo....

People are just doing as they please.....

People simply aren't, the vast majority of people are still at home and abiding by social distancing rules. Just because someone brushed past you in a narrow supermarket aisle while you were looking doesn't mean the people have 'been lost'.

I for one are extremely proud of the common sense approach that Gardaí have taken and this has been aided by the extreme compliance and common sense exercised by 99% of the population.

Just because there's been WhatsApp videos of parties hosted by some gormless teenagers and the well publicised gathering outside the four courts of Gemma O Doherty supporters (a culling of that particular sub group of the population would be welcomed by most in any case) doesn't mean people are doing as they please. Ireland is receiving international plaudits for how it has dealt with this and rightly so.

People shouldn't let the poor decisions made by a tiny tiny minority, which are then blown up by the media sully their view of how we have all taken responsibility as a country and tackled this head on.

thelad95 wrote: »
    People simply aren't, the vast majority of people are still at home and abiding by social distancing rules. Just because someone brushed past you in a narrow supermarket aisle while you were looking doesn't mean the people have 'been lost'.

I for one are extremely proud of the common sense approach that Gardaí have taken and this has been aided by the extreme compliance and common sense exercised by 99% of the population.

Just because there's been WhatsApp videos of parties hosted by some gormless teenagers and the well publicised gathering outside the four courts of Gemma O Doherty supporters (a culling of that particular sub group of the population would be welcomed by most in any case) doesn't mean people are doing as they please. Ireland is receiving international plaudits for how it has dealt with this and rightly so.

People shouldn't let the poor decisions made by a tiny tiny minority, which are then blown up by the media sully their view of how we have all taken responsibility as a country and tackled this head on.

I've had numerous people walk into me now while at work, numpties everywhere, kids all over the place and getting the buses now too a lot.
    Free travel pass holders getting on and going one or two stops.

Non essential travel isn't working as they know they won't be checking the buses. Yes a few were checked but that's not common.

I'm seeing many not giving room to others and brushing past, people trying to stay out of the way like myself then have idiots walking right into you or right into our space....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

How much are the fines btw?

Just got stopped going into town for cat food and other supplies. Its a trip that I made a couple of times over the last two months for stuff that I can't get locally. Never any problem before.
    Anyway, got stopped and she asks me where I'm going so I tell her I am getting some food supplies will be back in no time. To which she says why am I not getting them locally. To which I say that I can't get all of it locally. To which she asks what food would that be. To which I say (and I realize that was maybe not terribly smart) 'I am not going through my shopping list with you. I am allowed to go food shopping'. To which she says she needs to know. To which I say no and she is overstepping her authority. To which she say license please and I am going to fine you for breach of health regulation xyz etc...

She then proceeds taking my details and trying to find things on my car that she can also fine me for but there wasn't anything. So I assume I will get something in the post soon...

Utterly avoidable and not proud of it cos I could have handled that conversation better but at the same time not sure what I did wrong. Any idea of what the fine might be?

Advertisement