Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

How much are the fines btw?

She then proceeds taking my details and trying to find things on my car that she can also fine me for but there wasn't anything. So I assume I will get something in the post soon...

Utterly avoidable and not proud of it cos I could have handled that conversation better but at the same time not sure what I did wrong. Any idea of what the fine might be?

Well, the Gard could send the details off to the DPP who will decide... Though if you'd been a bit less cheeky with them it could have been avoided..

"Non-compliance with a direction of a Garda without a lawful excuse will be a criminal offence. Any offence is punishable by a fine of up to €2,500, up to six months imprisonment or a combination of both"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know totally avoidable but I wasn't in the best of form and she was getting a bit thickish with me too so I didnt feel very cooperative. It just kinda went from there. Stupid I know. Especially since I was telling the truth and wasn't actually doing anything outside the rules. Was just the way it went.. Now I feel really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@CalamariFritti do you still have your receipts from previous trips on that shopping run?
    I would hold onto them and if it does come to court show them as evidence you were on a repeat run.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Stopped yesterday near Stillorgan, today near Tallaght. I have HSE authorisation so no issues. Garda stayed on the passenger side both times, which is new practice in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

odyssey06 wrote: »
    @CalamariFritti do you still have your receipts from previous trips on that shopping run?
    I would hold onto them and if it does come to court show them as evidence you were on a repeat run.

Actually I just went down to the Garda Station and apologised to her for dicking around / giving her back talk and we had a much more pleasant chat and I think I may be OK now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 WhereAmINow

Stopped yesterday near Stillorgan, today near Tallaght. I have HSE authorisation so no issues. Garda stayed on the passenger side both times, which is new practice in my experience.

stillorgan on the n11 or elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Free travel pass holders getting on and going one or two stops.

How many stops should they be going?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How many stops should they be going?

None because it's non essential, this is the problem with you and these I'm carrying....

I'm not stupid, get to know the ones messing and why would you stop a bus to go 100 metres or less.....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

None because it's non essential, this is the problem with you and these I'm carrying....

I'm not stupid, get to know the ones messing and why would you stop a bus to go 100 metres or less.....

Probably because it gives them some sense of self affirmation in a life devoid if such self affirmation.

stillorgan on the n11 or elsewhere?

n11 City bound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How do you know the purpose of their journey, whether they are going shopping or going to care for a relative or what?

How do you know the purpose of their journey, whether they are going shopping or going to care for a relative or what?

Because I know.... Seriously you will tell me next how could I know because cyclists are better....

These people I'm talking about are wandering around, bringing them to the park to meet their buddies then bringing them home later etc....

You get to know regulars

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Because you're old, or you have arthritis, or you lack energy, or you feel safer, and you don't know you're being judged. Who knows?

Sandymount beach carparks closed today. Cars parked all along the pavement. Traffic at near normal levels.
    I passed through N.inner city and there were crowds standing around, and a football match in full flight.
    Also what looked like a communion party, with gardai in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

What difference does it make if they are free travel or fare paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not seen a guard on the road since easter weekend when i was stopped 7 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Actually I just went down to the Garda Station and apologised to her for dicking around / giving her back talk and we had a much more pleasant chat and I think I may be OK now.

This is a happier ending than Shawshank Redemption. Happy for you

What difference does it make if they are free travel or fare paying?

Because nobody would pay to go one or two stops....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Multiple checkpoints today. Also saw (on a road I was going the opposite way on) two on Thursday.

Definite loading towards the start of weekends - suspect to catch people trying to sneak to the holiday home and also remind people they might get caught if they take the piss over the weekend.
    Because nobody would pay to go one or two stops....

Done it loads of times when I've had a paid season pass. Don't currently have one for the bus (just rail/luas) but in normal times I often take the Luas two stops.

Actually I've also got the bus a few stops when I've been capped out on single fares for the day too. Anyone and everyone will do it if its not going to cost them at point of use.

Suspect your attitude is different when its a green Leap card someone tags on with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Drove 250km on national primary routes today, checkpoints encountered: 0

Same trip 2 weeks ago: 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Breezin wrote: »
    Sandymount beach carparks closed today. Cars parked all along the pavement. Traffic at near normal levels.
    I passed through N.inner city and there were crowds standing around, and a football match in full flight.
    Also what looked like a communion party, with Gaddafi in attendance.

Any sign of the law?

Rodin wrote: »
    Any sign of the law?

If they’re serious about the phased approach they’ll need to keep policing for the foreseeable future- otherwise it will just become a free for all- if there’s a way to get around something us Irish as a society will usually find it- we’ve been super good to date but the “crowd” mentality will emerge quickly- “well if they went to Howth to buy fish, I’m going to go too”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Was the army ever suggested for checkpoints ? Or assisting policing of areas where people shouldn't be congratulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

Are there any checkpoints between Kilkenny and Waterford and Waterford to Dungarvan does anyone know?

seekenee wrote: »
    Are there any checkpoints between Kilkenny and Waterford and Waterford to Dungarvan does anyone know?

Loads hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    Was the army ever suggested for checkpoints ? Or assisting policing of areas where people shouldn't be congratulating.

My sister's boyfriend's mother's friend's son's girlfriend's brother, who is in the army got the call last night :D

blade1 wrote: »
    My sister's boyfriend's mother's friend's son's girlfriend's brother, who is in the army got the call last night :D

Mobilize the troops !! :D

D3V!L wrote: »

If people are complaining about detectives having a visible sidearm at the checkpoints, I can only imagine what an apc parked up and a few assault rifles on show would cause

If people are complaining about detectives having a visible sidearm at the checkpoints, I can only imagine what an apc parked up and a few assault rifles on show would cause

It'd sure put people off making stupid journeys for no reason.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    Any sign of the law?

I saw two checkpoints in the neigborhood, and guards talking to the party people.

Advertisement