Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Breezin wrote: »
    I saw two checkpoints in the neigborhood, and guards talking to the party people.

"Down with that sort of thing"-type talking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L1011 wrote: »
    Multiple checkpoints today. Also saw (on a road I was going the opposite way on) two on Thursday.

Definite loading towards the start of weekends - suspect to catch people trying to sneak to the holiday home and also remind people they might get caught if they take the piss over the weekend.

Done it loads of times when I've had a paid season pass. Don't currently have one for the bus (just rail/luas) but in normal times I often take the Luas two stops.

Actually I've also got the bus a few stops when I've been capped out on single fares for the day too. Anyone and everyone will do it if its not going to cost them at point of use.

Suspect your attitude is different when its a green Leap card someone tags on with though.

I'm talking about now, not in normal times....

The more people that travel, the bigger the risk to me... That's what I'm thinking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I've been out four times in the last ten weeks to drop shopping to elderly relatives. Never came across one garda and the roads were packed with people. I went several different routes to get a bit of scenery in and not a sign of any sort of order anywhere. The Gardaí are part responsible in this due to their lack of presence. People are bound to flout the restrictions if there's no enforcement. The deterrent should be "stay home and you don't get the virus" but clearly some people need a little more incentive to just cop tf on.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Rodin wrote: »
    "Down with that sort of thing"-type talking ?

Definitely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Group of teens been spoken to by Gardai out my way this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

I saw a few Garda cars driving around today but I didn't encounter any checkpoints

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Group of teens been spoken to by Gardai out my way this morning.

Them teens up to no good..... No really that's not sarcastic.....

Seen huge groups all week about... No chance they live together either....

The lockdown is still here but many have given it the 2 fingers the past 2 weeks and getting worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well there were 5 of them all the same age and one of them was black so on the balance of probabilities I would question whether they were a family unit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Them teens up to no good..... No really that's not sarcastic.....

The lockdown is still here but many have given it the 2 fingers the past 2 weeks and getting worse

It may be so, but the rate of transmission continues to drop, even with these anecdotal sightings of groups congregating over the past 3 or 4 weeks. It is likely to be at close to zero in another couple of weeks.

Last 5 days (from Friday 8th) : 0.93%
    5 days before that: 1.58%
    5 days before that: 2.48%

Based on those numbers I would be expecting a more sensible and pragmatic approach to restriction easing by the government on the 8th of June. However I will not hold my breadth. We cannot hide away from this forever.

JL555 wrote: »
    It may be so, but the rate of transmission continues to drop, even with these anecdotal sightings of groups congregating over the past 3 or 4 weeks. It is likely to be at close to zero in another couple of weeks.

Based on those numbers I would be expecting a more sensible and pragmatic approach to restriction easing by the government on the 8th of June. However I will not hold my breadth. We cannot hide away from this forever.

I do certainly hope so but it just shows how thick people really are....

Irish lockdown wasn't really a lockdown at all.... We have no idea how lucky we were and are....

Imagine not actually been able to go out your front door and stick inside for weeks on end....

• Advertisement

JL555 wrote: »

Agreed and when you strip out the nursing home cases and front line staff the number is even lower. It is the unexplained community cases that are the biggest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Agreed and when you strip out the nursing home cases and front line staff the number is even lower. It is the unexplained community cases that are the biggest concern.

Especially as, given the low numbers, you would expect track & trace to be relatively easy.

And this is where my biggest concern is as quite a lot of nursing home staff are using the buses....

If one can walk one or two stops then do it, I fully appreciate certain folk have ailments and some we obviously can't see and that's not the ones I'd question at all..... Not literally by the way....

Public transport is a big risk at the moment but I'm carrying more then ever before and families and kids even on there own

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

D3V!L wrote: »
    Was the army ever suggested for checkpoints ? Or assisting policing of areas where people shouldn't be congratulating.
    saabsaab, not a regular on the Military forum, was recommending armoured cars at 'choke points' to delay the breakdown of society...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    saabsaab, not a regular on the Military forum, was recommending armoured cars at 'choke points' to delay the breakdown of society...

Jaysus we don't need that, it would be like the North once was... Nobody was safe....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I suspect they could do a better job, than the HSE, at organising testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well it might have been necessary but it seems that it won't be now but who knows.

Public transport is a big risk at the moment but I'm carrying more then ever before and families and kids even on there own

That is a concern alright. Might be positives though if people opt to cycle or walk to work instead. They should rush through legislation on those electric scooters too. Hopefully employers will have a bit of cop on too and continue to allow working from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

That is a concern alright. Might be positives though if people opt to cycle or walk to work instead. They should rush through legislation on those electric scooters too. Hopefully employers will have a bit of cop on too and continue to allow working from home.

It would be great if more cycled to work, they would probably get there faster than public transport and it good for their health.
    But someone recently brought up the issue of showers at work being off limits now as it is difficult to control these areas to make them safe.
    So that will probably prevent anyone cycling more than a short distance :(

s1ippy wrote: »
    I've been out four times in the last ten weeks to drop shopping to elderly relatives. Never came across one garda and the roads were packed with people. I went several different routes to get a bit of scenery in and not a sign of any sort of order anywhere. The Gardaí are part responsible in this due to their lack of presence. People are bound to flout the restrictions if there's no enforcement. The deterrent should be "stay home and you don't get the virus" but clearly some people need a little more incentive to just cop tf on.

I'm out conducting checkpoints most days. In the past ten weeks I haven't seen you once.

Then again, I have never seen a great white shark but I know they are still swimming around looking for food

• Advertisement

It would be great if more cycled to work, they would probably get there faster than public transport and it good for their health.
    But someone recently brought up the issue of showers at work being off limits now as it is difficult to control these areas to make them safe.
    So that will probably prevent anyone cycling more than a short distance :(

Aren't showers for cleaning people? Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing? No issue with our showers in work anyway.

I’d say that’s a company that has wanted to get rid of showers for a long time anyway and are now using Covid as an excuse. You’ll see it peddled as an excuse for loads of things in coming times.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Has anyone been stopped at night or is it mainly just day checks?

I've been stopped 6 times all during the day. The latest was around 7pm
    I have had no reason to be out any later though

Haven't seen a Garda car all weekend....

Haven't seen any out on foot either....

On Friday in Dublin city, they had a checkpoint on O'Connell bridge, guy stopped on a bike, heated exchange, armed detective gets involved, calm down said number of times, guy drops his trousers, two turned away laughing, they told him to go and off he goes and then they're all breaking out in laughter....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a Garda van putting no parking bollards on the roads adjacent to St Annes Park in Dublin - the car parks are already closed off.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There was a Garda van putting no parking bollards on the roads adjacent to St Annes Park in Dublin - the car parks are already closed off.

Done at Fairview, people still parked and some went missing

odyssey06 wrote: »

They have been there for weeks and funnily enough it was on Watermill Road I passed the checkpoint this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

hooch-85 wrote: »
    What is the protocol for separated Dad's visiting their kids does anyone know? I haven't seen my son in 8 weeks, he lives 60 miles away and normally comes to me every second weekend. If i was stopped going to visit or collect him would I have a valid excuse?
    phormium wrote: »

So i made this journey on Saturday, I live on the Tipp/Limerick border and my son lives just outside Kilkee with his mother. I know West Clare is popular for people heading to holiday homes etc so I was expecting to be stopped, I got stopped 6 times on my journey down and back at the same three checkpoints. All Gardai I met were totally fine when I explained my case, just gets tiring coming out with the same spiel over and over. I am dropping him back this evening so hoping there might not be as many out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

I've been stopped at night and day several times the last week at what seems to be a permanent pair of checkpoints at Cloonboo village and again at Carrowbrowne/Ballindooley (on the Galway side of the halting site) on the N84. Very quick question about reason for my journey every time, haven't been asked for any proof.

The coldest job on earth is standing on a road, I pitied them this morning, 5° and a biting east wind.

Advertisement