Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I hope to see Gardai checkpoints around the Quays in Dublin tomorrow. Groups of anti-lockdown loons (anti everything it seems) planning to protest around the Four Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

tom_k wrote: »
    I've been stopped at night and day several times the last week at what seems to be a permanent pair of checkpoints at Cloonboo village and again at Carrowbrowne/Ballindooley (on the Galway side of the halting site) on the N84. Very quick question about reason for my journey every time, haven't been asked for any proof.

The coldest job on earth is standing on a road, I pitied them this morning, 5° and a biting east wind.

https://www.facebook.com/154787634696864/posts/1566056280236652/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

Discodog wrote: »

Usual craic from the tinkers. They'll do what they want because no one stops them. Roll in from england and pass garda checkpoints, go to massive funerals and have a riot while your there, then block a main road into one of our biggest cities. All during a pandemic. When do we start dealing with these scum before its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Tenger wrote: »
    I hope to see Gardai checkpoints around the Quays in Dublin tomorrow. Groups of anti-lockdown loons (anti everything it seems) planning to protest around the Four Courts.

Will be quiet on the restrictions thread so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

hooch-85 wrote: »
    So i made this journey on Saturday, I live on the Tipp/Limerick border and my son lives just outside Kilkee with his mother. I know West Clare is popular for people heading to holiday homes etc so I was expecting to be stopped, I got stopped 6 times on my journey down and back at the same three checkpoints. All Gardai I met were totally fine when I explained my case, just gets tiring coming out with the same spiel over and over. I am dropping him back this evening so hoping there might not be as many out.

Made the return journey last night and was not stopped at all. Passed two checkpoints and was waved through both times after a quick check of my windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

They weren't feeling the cold either, I passed 11pm ish and there was no sign of them, both Garda checkpoints were in operation though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

criminals upset at police eh ?

generally not a violent person but that behaviour calls for a public order unit to beat them back into the site and keep them there .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

mynamejeff wrote: »
    criminals upset at police eh ?

generally not a violent person but that behaviour calls for a public order unit to beat them back into the site and keep them there .

They need to come down hard on these groups they act like this and cause absolute mayhem because they feel they wont get challenge. If groups like this got the Armed Support Unit and even the army coming down on them they'd take a drastrically different tone with the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Isn't this what living in a democratic nation is about, being able to justify harsh measures to restrict our freedoms?

https://www.thejournal.ie/iccl-emergency-garda-powers-simon-harris-5098351-May2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

Ok I haven't actually researched this video, although I have watched it, and read the posters interruption of it.

for starters I saw a group of people blocking a big truck by sound (and possibly lights) I have no idea what road it is on, and I have no idea what date it was posted or filmed. (certainly the amount of guys wearing shorts would lead me to believe it is quite warm) lastly I didn't see any ambulance, ie the reflection of their lights on the surrounding area (but again that is down to the camera angle) So I would think that, the councilor who posted it is working off, of an agenda of being good for the community and being re voted in.

Basically that is my take on that facebook message, assumptions and hearsay are great for ploughing a field but not fact.

• Advertisement

Beholders wrote: »
    Ok I haven't actually researched this video, although I have watched it, and read the posters interruption of it.

for starters I saw a group of people blocking a big truck by sound (and possibly lights) I have no idea what road it is on, and I have no idea what date it was posted or filmed. (certainly the amount of guys wearing shorts would lead me to believe it is quite warm) lastly I didn't see any ambulance, ie the reflection of their lights on the surrounding area (but again that is down to the camera angle) So I would think that, the councilor who posted it is working off, of an agenda of being good for the community and being re voted in.

Basically that is my take on that facebook message, assumptions and hearsay are great for ploughing a field but not fact.

Absolute rubbish. You should check with the Gardai who have mounted two permanent check points each side of that site for the past week. I guess that RTE are lying too. Every week & often two or three times a week, there is trouble. For example children throwing rocks at cars, loose horses including one that got hit by a car, starving horses, horses that had to be rescued by the Fire Service, sulkie racing, rubbish dumping etc etc etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0512/1137905-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Absolute rubbish. You should check with the Gardai who have mounted two permanent check points each side of that site for the past week. I guess that RTE are lying too. Every week & often two or three times a week, there is trouble. For example children throwing rocks at cars, loose horses including one that got hit by a car, starving horses, horses that had to be rescued by the Fire Service, sulkie racing, rubbish dumping etc etc etc.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0512/1137905-galway/

you forgot burning dangerous items spreading toxic fumes

you forgot burning dangerous items spreading toxic fumes

It would be a long list if we included everything illegal or anti social.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Guards looking into people’s shopping bags last Friday on O’Connell street. Is that appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Guards looking into people’s shopping bags last Friday on O’Connell street. Is that appropriate?

Why not, it was mainly drug addicts going about anyway so it's a good way to get the drink off them....

Depends why & under what legislation they did it.
    Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do you know?
    Any number of headings:
    terrorism
    drugs
    counterfeit goods
    stolen goods, and as they were near the hospital baby snatching

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Any number of headings:
    terrorism
    drugs
    counterfeit goods
    stolen goods, and as they were near the hospital baby snatching

Exactly, so probably very appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

They were hardly doing such a thing to law abiding citizens? If it was junkies/known drug dealers then its fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do you know?

If people do it by consent they don't need any legislation.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    If people do it by consent they don't need any legislation.

I'm aware of that.
    The poster complaining that it was not appropriate has not posted why it happened, or how.
    So presumably does not know & just feels it's a reason to bash the Gardai

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Says who ?

it is clear this thing is the most contagious thing we have ever come across.

There are a number of diseases that are more contagious than this one, however normally they are far more noticeable or have a much lesser effect. This virus has hit a sweet spot of high asymptomtic transmissabilty and a high impact on people with comorbidities. The real standout is the excess morbodity figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

alta stare wrote: »
    They were hardly doing such a thing to law abiding citizens? If it was junkies/known drug dealers then its fair game.

They should look in everyone’s bags and remove and confiscate all non essential items. I had to tell a guard to ask me where I was going yesterday and if my trip was essential. He was waving me on without probing me. Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Paddygreen wrote: »
    They should look in everyone’s bags and remove and confiscate all non essential items. I had to tell a guard to ask me where I was going yesterday and if my trip was essential. He was waving me on without probing me. Not good enough.
    I've missed you Paddy!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In the UK holiday home owners have hired couriers to bring their suitcases to their holiday homes.

My DPD driver was telling me that this is happening here too. His work colleagues have couriered down suitcases off clothes from Dublin to Wexford in the past fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I had to tell a guard to ask me where I was going yesterday and if my trip was essential. He was waving me on without probing me. Not good enough.

Could you imagine :pac:

Could you imagine :pac:

I didn’t imagine it. He literally waved me on. I could have been 100km away from my nearest supermarket and the boot of my leaf could have been full of flip flops, sunscreen and beach towels for all he knew.

Thank God. That's well beyond the call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I found this gas, brand new Garda recruits in Templemore are to be deployed to the frontline after one full week at the college
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda-recruits-to-be-deployed-after-just-one-week-in-templemore-1.4251712

They didnt even get the chance to jump off the diving board into the outdoor swimming pool in full uniform. You're just not a proper Garda until you've done that.

Breezin wrote: »
    Increase in traffic reported today in Irish Times, who put it down to 'complacency' :rolleyes:

Also, the NI loophole is expected to add to pressure in Donegal:

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of southerners bailing into Northern Ireland for the DIY shops and garden centres that are now open?

• Advertisement

"Muahahaha wrote: »

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of southerners bailing into Northern Ireland for the DIY shops and garden centres that are now open?

All hardware and bedding plants etc should be seized at the border.

Advertisement