Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Paddygreen wrote: »
    All hardware and bedding plants etc should be seized at the border.

If you saw the state of my lawn, the Garda would class it as essential travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I found this gas, brand new Garda recruits in Templemore are to be deployed to the frontline after one full week at the college
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda-recruits-to-be-deployed-after-just-one-week-in-templemore-1.4251712

They didnt even get the chance to jump off the diving board into the outdoor swimming pool in full uniform. You're just not a proper Garda until you've done that.

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of southerners bailing into Northern Ireland for the DIY shops and garden centres that are now open?

Nope. They're not open until next week.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I found this gas, brand new Garda recruits in Templemore are to be deployed to the frontline after one full week at the college
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-garda-recruits-to-be-deployed-after-just-one-week-in-templemore-1.4251712

They didnt even get the chance to jump off the diving board into the outdoor swimming pool in full uniform. You're just not a proper Garda until you've done that.

Has there been any anecdotal evidence of southerners bailing into Northern Ireland for the DIY shops and garden centres that are now open?

What an absolute ****ing joke. It usually takes more than a week just to get the uniform sorted!

Seriously, wtf can you expect them to know after 1 week????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPISMWa0SMU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What an absolute ****ing joke. It usually takes more than a week just to get the uniform sorted!

I doubt they will be sent out alone

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I doubt they will be sent out alone

They won't be outside at all but as they will not know anything, someone will still need to babysit them meaning it's not a real improvement in manpower at all

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

As long as they can say the words: 'Culprit' and Veh-hicle', they'll be grand, oh yeah, the new one, ' what's the purpose of your journey'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

JL555 wrote: »
    As long as they can say the words: 'Culprit' and Veh-hicle', they'll be grand, oh yeah, the new one, ' what's the purpose of your journey'

That phrase & the checkpoints associated with it, aren't needed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

JL555 wrote: »
    Or if its you they stop "Does Nurse know you have got out?"

Edgware wrote: »

The poor elderly feel imprisoned as it is without that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The nursing home my mother is in allowed a visit from me yesterday.
    It was outdoors and both of us had to wear mask, gloves and apron.

As I was making the journey there,I just thought about the guards stopping me.
    I assume it's ok but what's the official word on this, just incase needed in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

blade1 wrote: »
    The nursing home my mother is in allowed a visit from me yesterday.
    It was outdoors and both of us had to wear mask, gloves and apron.

As I was making the journey there,I just thought about the guards stopping me.
    I assume it's ok but what's the official word on this, just incase needed in the future.

Visiting to care for a loved one/family member is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Edgware wrote: »

No, if it's me they ask why am I not in my straight jacket :)

So apparently the Gardai are going to target beaches, tourist spots & have lots of checkpoints as part of Phase 1

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Gardai-to-target-beaches-and-beauty-spots-when-restrictions-ease-on-Monday-386a7c12-aaaf-4b20-a7f5-7f99845f7900-ds

Discodog wrote: »
    So apparently the Gardai are going to target beaches, tourist spots & have lots of checkpoints as part of Phase 1

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Gardai-to-target-beaches-and-beauty-spots-when-restrictions-ease-on-Monday-386a7c12-aaaf-4b20-a7f5-7f99845f7900-ds

They definitely need to. We’ve shown time and time again that generally we can’t be trusted to do the right thing without enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They definitely need to. We’ve shown time and time again that generally we can’t be trusted to do the right thing without enforcement.

And the most laughable part is everyone gathering in these places giving out about everyone else being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Who is this 'we' who are so 'generally' guilty.

Most of the congregations that are prompting this sort of policy are easily avoidable. We generally actually have been doing social distancing. It's the ones who haven't who are the most visible and who invoke collective punishment.

Breezin wrote: »

Most of the congregations that are prompting this sort of policy are easily avoidable. We generally actually have been doing social distancing. It's the ones who haven't who are the most visible and who invoke collective punishment.

And the Gardai have focused on the motorist, who is socially distancing & ignoring the people that aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

And the Gardai have focused on the motorist, who is socially distancing & ignoring the people that aren't

The easy target! Business as usual by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I live in Dunmore East and, after Easter, the Gardaí pretty much gave up with the checkpoint they had at the main road into village but were still driving around the village (monitoring things?), and, for the past 3 weeks, the Gardaí have been non existent. There has been a very noticeable increase in people and cars around the area. Many of the properties are holiday homes so, it's very obvious when one suddenly becomes occupied with cars outside and lights on.

The beach was pretty busy over the weekend, even though beaches were supposed to have been closed for the past couple of months and to reopen today.

• Advertisement

We as in the population in general. Some are doing well but as I said, in general people will just bend the ones they don’t like because it doesn’t suit them and then tut tut at everyone else.

We as in the population in general. Some are doing well but as I said, in general people will just bend the ones they don’t like because it doesn’t suit them and then tut tut at everyone else.

Yes. We are very naughty boys and girls, and we're all going to get punished while the rest of Europe opens up.

Yes. We are very naughty boys and girls, and we're all going to get punished while the rest of Europe opens up.

And then some of the same people will be wondering why they can’t hold mammys hand while she dies, but yeah you’re right - **** it. Don’t let the law and the gubberment telly you what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Absolute nonsense.

They might make some effort for the June Bank holiday but that'll be it

And then some of the same people will be wondering why they can’t hold mammys hand while she dies, but yeah you’re right - **** it. Don’t let the law and the gubberment telly you what to do!

Spare us the violins and look at the numbers.

Spare us the violins and look at the numbers.

Wonder why they were decreasing. Come back with the same story in a fortnight and you’ll be on to something.

Wonder why they were decreasing. Come back with the same story in a fortnight and you’ll be on to something.
    They're decreasing everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They really haven't. Checkpoints I have seen for cars were on the way to beaches or other spots where congregation would be an issue. Where they have otherwise stopped cars there was no issue where it was a genuine trip. 3 times out of the 6 times I was at the beach in the last few weeks there were foot patrols.

Garda issue shoes are not much good in sand, by the way, so the next time you are running away from the Gardai I would recomend heading for a beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

They're decreasing everywhere.

Stopped at the checkpoint today, literally less than 1 km from my house (was returning from shopping)

-Where are you heading to?
    -I'm going back home, that's my estate.
    -Were are you coming from?

What do they think they do????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Free travel pass holders getting on and going one or two stops.

What difference does it make if they are free travel or fare paying?
    when you pay the fare (one of the highest in the EU) you think twice before making any journey, because... it costs you money.

Advertisement