Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hopefully the f*ck away off Out of the road for the June bank holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

CBear1993 wrote: »

Why, are you planning on going somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

CBear1993 wrote: »

I can nearly guaranteed there'd be an increased presence and it's attitudes like yours that will be the reason they'll be out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Would like to see that check points are a permanent thing, not just because of the pandemic.
    They have caught loads of illegal drivers as a result. Political pressure should be mounted to ensure they stay on the roads. Maybe more random & include more side roads.
    People would be a lot less daring if they had a higher chance of being caught & be punished properly if illegal. It should be a policy to get more off the roads that abuse the privilege of driving.
    Zero tolerance is called for.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Would like to see that check points are a permanent thing, not just because of the pandemic.
    They have caught loads of illegal drivers as a result. Political pressure should be mounted to ensure they stay on the roads. Maybe more random & include more side roads.
    People would be a lot less daring if they had a higher chance of being caught & be punished properly if illegal. It should be a policy to get more off the roads that abuse the privilege of driving.

You don't need checkpoints for any of that. With a proper database you can tell which cars are taxed, NCT'd, insured and which car owners have a license or not.

We don't need to pay hundreds of public servants to stand in the middle of the road waving at people and increasing journey times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Nal wrote: »
    You don't need checkpoints for any of that. With a proper database you can tell which cars are taxed, NCT'd, insured and which car owners have a license or not.
    Very true TN, but you're forgetting our authorities, and all of them, for many a long year, couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. They've certainly shown little stomach to bring the insurance industry to heel, an industry whose cooperation would be required to make such a database happen. Of course one might argue the same industry doesn't want such a database as it might show up their claims for the number of the uninsured to be bogus...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Completely unsustainable, the only reason they were able to be carried out at the level they were was because crime incidents were greatly reduced, there were less RTC's to attend, courts weren't operating and a lot of investigations were temporarily shelved. Once all of those are on the go again checkpoints at the level they were being carried out at wouldn't be realistic.

Witcher wrote: »
    Completely unsustainable, the only reason they were able to be carried out at the level they were was because crime incidents were greatly reduced, there were less RTC's to attend, courts weren't operating and a lot of investigations were temporarily shelved. Once all of those are on the go again checkpoints at the level they were being carried out at wouldn't be realistic.

Fair enough.....I did say "Would like to see"....but accept they can't be everywhere all the time. Just frustrated with so many giving 2 fingers to all of us that do pay our way & ensure we are road legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

When I was stopped at the checkpoint they didn't bother looking at NCT or road tax.
    Also I think the automatic reg plate readers on the public roads are far more efficient and cheaper.

na1 wrote: »
    Also I think the automatic reg plate readers on the public roads are far more efficient and cheaper.

Do we have these on enough roads - Can't say I've seen one?

A lot of the squad cars don't have these either.

• Advertisement

Yep. will be driving from Dublin to Donegal for June BH. Have an office address up there so that's my ticket. Has worked during this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Don't take the bait lads

Will post photos

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Witcher wrote: »
    Don't take the bait lads

Which one? The one planning on being a naughty boy/girl or the one hoping s/he crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Certainly should be interesting to see if convictions for no insurance go up post the lockdown. IIRC the insurers body claims there is some 12% of people going around with no insurance, thats almost 1 in 8 motorists so with all the checkpoints about it should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Certainly should be interesting to see if convictions for no insurance go up post the lockdown. IIRC the insurers body claims there is some 12% of people going around with no insurance, thats almost 1 in 8 motorists so with all the checkpoints about it should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

It is...hence the posts on this thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057749778&page=498

• Registered Users Posts: 33 colliehandy

Anyone heard of the guards performing any quarantine checks as part of the passenger locator form for people returning to the country from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A motoring correspondent was saying that the checkpoints will be reduced. They said that, with the increased traffic, the Gardai didn't want to cause delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Discodog wrote: »
    A motoring correspondent was saying that the checkpoints will be reduced. They said that, with the increased traffic, the Gardai didn't want to cause delays.

I’d say it’s more likely the budget well is running dry and there’s not the money there to continue with this level of nonsense. Any checkpoint I’ve seen has had two or three cars parked up, 3 or 4 Gardai mainly standing around chatting to eachother. Even by wasteful Irish public service standards it was unlikely to be viable for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

Do we have these on enough roads - Can't say I've seen one?

A lot of the squad cars don't have these either.

The traffic Corp cars have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

road_high wrote: »
    I’d say it’s more likely the budget well is running dry and there’s not the money there to continue with this level of nonsense. Any checkpoint I’ve seen has had two or three cars parked up, 3 or 4 Gardai mainly standing around chatting to eachother. Even by wasteful Irish public service standards it was unlikely to be viable for much longer.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/policing-covid-19-will-hit-garda-budget-hard-commissioner-warns-991325.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Discodog wrote: »

So they’ll have the begging bowl out too....bless.
    Well they were one of the greatest advocates for this lockdown- when you forcibly close down wealth generating businesses for months on end for little good reason then you’ll have to pay the price in that the taxes generated to support you will be greatly diminished, thereby you’ll have less to spend also. It seems our public services (including Garda) didn’t quite grasp that from 2009/10. But it filters right down the line and the Garda budget won’t be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mulbot wrote: »
    The traffic Corp cars have them

Some do and it's roads policing....

Some other units have it too..

Very rare on any vehicles to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

They have phones with an app, you can see it on the Garda twitter.

Scan your reg and they are told if the car is taxed, has an NCT or if you're disqualified from driving.

I think ANPR technology is both good and bad. It's a precursor to facial recognition technology. I know in the UK it's used like crazy so you really cannot drive a car on public roads without being picked up you have no MOT/Tax/Insurance.

They have phones with an app, you can see it on the Garda twitter.

Scan your reg and they are told if the car is taxed, has an NCT or if you're disqualified from driving.

I think ANPR technology is both good and bad. It's a precursor to facial recognition technology. I know in the UK it's used like crazy so you really cannot drive a car on public roads without being picked up you have no MOT/Tax/Insurance.

What’s bad about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm no fan of our police but I'm less of a fan of the people who think it's acceptable to drive with no licence, insurance, road tax or nct.
    They are Muppets and not worthy of a second chance once caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I'm no fan of our police but I'm less of a fan of the people who think it's acceptable to drive with no licence, insurance, road tax or nct.

They’re not checking any of those... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Being caught makes no difference those people, they just don't care as they get n+1 chances.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Muahahaha wrote: »

[offtop]
    I think Irish courts gave motorists a clear message why they shouldn't insure:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/e11-5m-awarded-to-boy-10-in-states-largest-ever-personal-injury-claim-424121-Apr2012/
    [/offtop]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

na1 wrote: »
    [offtop]
    I think Irish courts gave motorists a clear message why they shouldn't insure:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/e11-5m-awarded-to-boy-10-in-states-largest-ever-personal-injury-claim-424121-Apr2012/
    [/offtop]

Wtf that's absolutely disgusting....

Look at them posing for the photo....

God people have no shame at all ...

Driving around illegally and could have knocked someone down or killed them and obviously from the crash she wasn't a capable driver and didn't have the child in a correct car seat of one at all....

Advertisement