Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

Guards are very busy at the moment asking people where they are going so I highly doubt they will also have the time to be asking for ID unless it is an underage person.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Guards are very busy at the moment asking people where they are going so I highly doubt they will also have the time to be asking for ID unless it is an underage person.

'Shopping, guard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Anyone heard of how they are doing the checks for people arriving back into the country? Filled the form when we got back in but heard nothing yet so not sure what volume of people they’re following up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

na1 wrote: »
    [offtop]
    I think Irish courts gave motorists a clear message why they shouldn't insure:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/e11-5m-awarded-to-boy-10-in-states-largest-ever-personal-injury-claim-424121-Apr2012/
    [/offtop]

Good luck to the MIBI getting a cent out of her !!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Any issues going on the ferry to UK for commercial trade reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

johnmck wrote: »

If it's essential then no.

If it's essential then no.

What classifies essential, I've a friend who is a landscape gardener who has a job in England if he wants it and he's asked me to come help labour on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

What classifies essential, I've a friend who is a landscape gardener who has a job in England if he wants it and he's asked me to come help labour on it.

You think gardening is essential?

Check the rules, if you follow them and as it's outdoor this is now allowed but check the terms are the same in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

You think gardening is essential?

Landscaping was never stopped in the uk so he's doing nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you're driving, the ferry is gone more expensive since the virus. I would check the prices.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you're driving, the ferry is gone more expensive since the virus. I would check the prices.

He'll have to drive, to take all the tools in back of the van

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Shame their resources arent better directed. Stopping family cars along the coast road in North Dublin, and paying no heed to the many gangs of feral young lads cycling all around the area. There was a full blown party in the lane beside our house a couple of weeks ago, 10+ lads having pizza and beers, they were called and arrived about an hour after everyone had cleared off of their own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

prunudo wrote: »
    Landscaping was never stopped in the uk so he's doing nothing wrong.

It was always legal here too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Good to see in the news there’s no scaremongering talks about Garda checkpoints this weekend to stop people enjoying the good weather and get outdoors.
    Rightfully it’s been shifted onto the narrative that checks will be in place to slow down drivers as is the usual case on bank holiday weekends.

They must have ran out of wages to pay them to stand and ask people where they’re going. What nonsense that was

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Good to see in the news there’s no scaremongering talks about Garda checkpoints this weekend to stop people enjoying the good weather and get outdoors.
    Rightfully it’s been shifted onto the narrative that checks will be in place to slow down drivers as is the usual case on bank holiday weekends.

They must have ran out of wages to pay them to stand and ask people where they’re going. What nonsense that was

I heard they are to ramp up checks....

Road safety they say, see the biggest issues now are more stepping out and getting knocked down....

More cars travelling faster then I've ever seen before and I mean leaving you like you are going the opposite way....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I thought what they said was they would be patrolling beaches and spots where people congregate rather than roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

They were stopping Cars and questioning drivers between Clarecastle and Ennis to day

Yeah checking at the point where all the assholes go should hopefully be more effective than checking them on their way there. Really should have had large fines for breaking the rules though because it's pointless without them. Hitting the pocket is the only way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Maybe they’ll “let us” go outside 25km in July based on your views. At this rate you might be able to get to another county in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shame their resources arent better directed. Stopping family cars along the coast road in North Dublin, and paying no heed to the many gangs of feral young lads cycling all around the area. There was a full blown party in the lane beside our house a couple of weeks ago, 10+ lads having pizza and beers, they were called and arrived about an hour after everyone had cleared off of their own accord.

Tell them they have a gun, for the craic. They wouldn't be long arriving.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Maybe they’ll “let us” go outside 25km in July based on your views. At this rate you might be able to get to another county in 2021

If that’s what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Originally Posted by CBear1993 View Post
    If that’s what it takes.

If that's what it takes for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I am pretty sure we will be able to leave the country in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

this is one for the boys in blue that frequent this thread

My workplace has been almost completely shutdown since the end of March with a limited number of staff allowed access to do stuff that can't be done remotely. All of them have letters to authorise them travel as we fall under the definition of essential workers.

As we gradually open up again, more of us will be travelling to work but management say there is no requirement for travel authorisation letters in the new return to work protocol. If stopped at a checkpoint, all we need to do is explain where we are going and that we are essential workers. Most people in my group live more than 5km from work, a couple periodically have to travel across the country to work at other sites and none of them expect that this approach will wash with Gardai on checkpoints.

Just wonder what's the Garda position on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tphase wrote: »
    this is one for the boys in blue that frequent this thread

My workplace has been almost completely shutdown since the end of March with a limited number of staff allowed access to do stuff that can't be done remotely. All of them have letters to authorise them travel as we fall under the definition of essential workers.

As we gradually open up again, more of us will be travelling to work but management say there is no requirement for travel authorisation letters in the new return to work protocol. If stopped at a checkpoint, all we need to do is explain where we are going and that we are essential workers. Most people in my group live more than 5km from work, a couple periodically have to travel across the country to work at other sites and none of them expect that this approach will wash with Gardai on checkpoints.

Just wonder what's the Garda position on this?

It'll be the usual case that it will depend on who you get at the checkpoint on the day.

Your best bet if you have a letter anyway is just keep a copy in the car if you're questioned too hard.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It'll be the usual case that it will depend on who you get at the checkpoint on the day.

Your best bet if you have a letter anyway is just keep a copy in the car if you're questioned too hard.
    problem is most of the staff won't have a letter and the letters that have been issued have an expiry date (took some genius to come up with that particular feature)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

problem is most of the staff won't have a letter and the letters that have been issued have an expiry date (took some genius to come up with that particular feature)

Why doesn't the company just issue everyone a letter to save on any potential hassle?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why doesn't the company just issue everyone a letter to save on any potential hassle?
    You would think that's obvious but management live on a different planet. They have determined it is not required under the new protocol

Anyway, my question remains - what is the Garda position on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You would think that's obvious but management live on a different planet. They have determined it is not required under the new protocol

Anyway, my question remains - what is the Garda position on this?
    Ring your job in the morning and tell them you got turned around at a checkpoint. They won't be long in printing off a few letters.

Advertisement