Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The lockdown isn’t only to slow the virus it’s also to reduce load on the ambulance service. If nobody is driving there’ll be a lot less crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I saw a 19d wine color Citroen people carrier type of car with a Garda sticker and a crest on the side going around Clondalkin this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I saw a 19d wine color Citroen people carrier type of car with a Garda sticker and a crest on the side going around Clondalkin this morning.

Yes part of their new hire fleet, was news reports on it a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

At the risk of sounding out of the loop ... So it's ok for guards to stop you now and ask where you are going, right?

Discodog wrote: »
    I agree but they won't miss the opportunity to get a few convictions.

Its a ticket. Means **** all to the

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

At the risk of sounding out of the loop ... So it's ok for guards to stop you now and ask where you are going, right?

They've always been able to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Ger Roe wrote: »
    If you do, you should have your magic pass letter from your employer to show it.

But I still had to go to work first in order to get said letter. It's all the one now anyway. Drove to and from work today and not a guard or checkpoint in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They've always been able to do that.

*Rubs bridge of nose*
    I meant are they ramping it up now because of lockdown. But somehow I think you knew what I meant.

Stay classy boards.ie - seems people non here never miss a chance to come off as "smart"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Its a ticket. Means **** all to the

Really? So there is no conviction element to Garda performance assessment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Some of us have to work though

Then you don’t have anything to worry about with checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Guards doing high visibility car patrols here, saw them five different times on my short stroll this evening.

No checkpoints though that I could see.

Headlines in several UK papers about the Police being over zealous. The Taoiseach stressed that the Gardai are there to advise & not coerce. There will always be some that abuse power

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/covid-19-ex-supreme-court-judge-lambasts-disgraceful-policing

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Stopped three times today by Gardai that look like they've just done their leaving certs.... absolute joke. Waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I believe so

Are you ok to travel outside your area farther than 2km for a shop in a larger supermarket?

Yes they can ask you whatever they want, doesn't mean you have to answer them. You're under no legal obligation to do so whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Stopped three times today by Gardai that look like they've just done their leaving certs.... absolute joke. Waste of resources.

This is just to get us used to the checkpoints. They may become more intense as time goes on

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is just to get us used to the checkpoints. They may become more intense as time goes on
    What driver isn't used to a checkpoint? These are useless, just being done to look like they are doing something helpful.

No tax/nct/insurance/license check each time. Simply a tiny little girl who should be no where near a uniform asking me where I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do you mind pming me where you got it done as I've also split my back tooth open.

Thanks

I was asking the poster nthclare how his emergency dentist appointment worked as I thought all dentists were closed. But there must be some facility for emergencies. Your GP would be able to prescribe strong painkillers if you're in a lot of pain, they should also know about emergency dental procedures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Some people on here are unreal..

Stopped loads of times now by the guards.. useless *****..

Haven't been stopped once by the guards.. useless *****..

Never happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

*Rubs bridge of nose*
    I meant are they ramping it up now because of lockdown. But somehow I think you knew what I meant.

Stay classy boards.ie - seems people non here never miss a chance to come off as "smart"

You give me more credit, than is due. I wasn't trying to come across as witty. I just answered that they've always been able to enquire about what you're doing. In case you thought they had something extra to deal with covid19, or in case someone else reading your question, started thinking, the gards shouldn't be enquiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What driver isn't used to a checkpoint? These are useless, just being done to look like they are doing something helpful.

Getting you used to the checkpoints. In weeks to come they might be dragging you out of the car at gun point. They are easing you into things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Yes they can ask you whatever they want, doesn't mean you have to answer them. You're under no legal obligation to do so whatsoever.
    ffs here we go , just tell them where your going and don't be starting this crap people are stressed enough and have enough to be doing .
    I've been stopped twice since sunday , '' morning sir , where are you coming from and going'' .'' howya guard coming from just around the corner there and heading to work , im a fisherman i have copy of boat licence and registration here if you want to see '' '' your ok thanks for co operating have a good day mind yourself''
    '' cheers guard you too ''
    It took all of 1 minute

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

But the talk of needing id's, proofs of work etc isn't encouraging. Neither is the talk of stiff penalties.

Apologies if it has been answered elsewhere, I haven't read the entire thread - what stiff penalties?

What crime are they trying to stop, apart from NCT, Tax etc ? Anyone can go out for food. People won't be going to work because their businesses are closed. What are these supposed unnecessary journeys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

Keep in mind they still have no extra powers or legislation. Everything, even the govt. restrictions, are just 'advice' at the moment. :

When are the new powers coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Discodog wrote:
    What crime are they trying to stop, apart from NCT, Tax etc ? Anyone can go out for food. People won't be going to work because their businesses are closed. What are these supposed unnecessary journeys ?

they are encouraging people to stay the fluck home like they're supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Not all businesses are closed. Also there's a big blood drive happening in Cork city at the minute surely people are allowed drive to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just take a read through even the last few pages of this (or any Covid) thread and you'll see people figuring the rules don't apply to them, and justifying bending the rules to breaking point and well beyond, because, y'know, they're different.

That's why they're out.

STAY AT HOME for 2 weeks, unless you absolutely need to go out for one of a very small number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

ffs here we go , just tell them where your going and don't be starting this crap people are stressed enough and have enough to be doing .
    I've been stopped twice since sunday , '' morning sir , where are you coming from and going'' .'' howya guard coming from just around the corner there and heading to work , im a fisherman i have copy of boat licence and registration here if you want to see '' '' your ok thanks for co operating have a good day mind yourself''
    '' cheers guard you too ''
    It took all of 1 minute

Simples. It's just manners. You dont want to be stopped,I'm dam sure they don't want to be stopping you in the current circumstances, so just make everyone's life easier. It's easy to tell that schools are out. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm currently away from home and getting back would involve a 90 minute drive so I'm staying put.

But I renewed my car insurance last week and they've naturally enough sent the disc/cert to my home address.
    Emailed them yesterday to ask if they'd resend to where I am given the circumstances. Absolutely, 20 quid please!

Never miss a chance do they? :(

Advertisement