Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

''plenty of idiots graduated ''

are you one of them or have you not graduated yet

Your pay by the Government will be cut. Don't overstretch yourself. It's Sunday. have a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Your pay by the Government will be cut. Don't overstretch yourself. It's Sunday. have a beer.
    not getting anything from the government , not the covid payment or anything else apart from grief. however that's a whole other discussion
    enjoy whats left of the weekend stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

not getting anything from the government , not the covid payment or anything else apart from grief. however that's a whole other discussion
    enjoy whats left of the weekend stay safe

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

jaysus your right funny

Thanks dude !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Same boy probably went down to the Quay being a busy body looking for a chance to ring Garda.

This place is getting more and more like England with the whole nosy neighbour nanny state honest to god.
    I thought you were going to say this place is getting more and more like England, full of short-term memory issues, pig ignorance and people who don't care about anyone but themselves, seeming to only get their news from the red tops. It seems like this is such adversity to them when in reality, nothing has happened them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

Gardaí lose enforcement powers over movement restrictions

They did this on the qt
    Gardaí no longer have the power to enforce the movement restrictions laid out in the emergency coronavirus legislation introduced by the Government.

... unlike previous versions of the regulations, the latest provisions do not mention a criminal penalty for breaching the movement restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Breezin wrote: »

It would've been on the qt if it wasn't written about in a national newspaper :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    It would've been on the qt if it wasn't written about in a national newspaper :D
    Really? So the national newspaper only runs stuff that is officially announced? If that's your idea of news, I hope you're not paying too much for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gardaí lose enforcement powers over movement restrictions [/URL]

They did this on the qt

Judging by the numbers of Offaly, Cork, N.I registered cars driving around Dublin today I'd say a lot of them knew about it or basically just DGAF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Why would you GAF? It’s all over. Waken up

• Advertisement

Really? So the national newspaper only runs stuff that is officially announced? If that's your idea of news, I hope you're not paying too much for yours.

What I'm saying is, that if it's reported in a national newspaper, it's hardly on the 'qt'.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

So if you want to travel 100km to another county, you get stopped at a checkpoint (if they even exist anymore?)... are you just going to say "On my way to visit family. Unless I've broken any rules of the road, I'll be on my way"... ?

Penfailed wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, that if it's reported in a national newspaper, it's hardly on the 'qt'.

Thanks Einstein. :D
    It was on the qt before the newspaper spotted that it had been left out of the announcement of changes to restrictions.

Thanks Einstein. :D
    It was on the qt before the newspaper spotted that it had been left out of the announcement of changes to restrictions.

Ah! I get you now :)

So if you want to travel 100km to another county, you get stopped at a checkpoint (if they even exist anymore?)... are you just going to say "On my way to visit family. Unless I've broken any rules of the road, I'll be on my way"... ?

I reckon it'll be impossible for checkpoints to work now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well it's an interesting one. Travelling in itself is not a criminal act. However if a Garda tells you to turn round as he/she may be entitled to under the regulations and you ignore his/her instruction you may be into different legal territory

Having said that I would hope most would be pragmatic given the way restrictions have been eased and indeed the overall improvement in the position in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They can't do anything now, you'll be on your way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The only checkpoints will be the usual tax, insurance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Discodog wrote: »
    The only checkpoints will be the usual tax, insurance, NCT, illegal drugs, firearms etc
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone seen or been stopped at a checkpoint since yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Esel wrote: »
    FYP

They only caught the drugs etc when there were blanket checkpoints. The chances of randomly picking up a drug dealer now are pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Beasty wrote: »
    Well it's an interesting one. Travelling in itself is not a criminal act. However if a Garda tells you to turn round as he/she may be entitled to under the regulations and you ignore his/her instruction you may be into different legal territory

Having said that I would hope most would be pragmatic given the way restrictions have been eased and indeed the overall improvement in the position in Ireland

I'm not sure. If they have no legal authority to enforce the restrictions at this point, then any instructions they give under that would be invalid, no? They can't just send someone home if it's not illegal to travel. Essentially all they can do is ask or suggest, but nothing more than that?

In practical terms I'd imagine it won't come up unless someone is stopped for some other reason. It's being spun as no longer appropriate in the current phase, but the reality is that the money has run out and the will to comply by the general public is dropping rapidly as the daily numbers have (thankfully) been dropping also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There was a neat constant Garda checkpoint on the Tullamore bypass up until 2-3 weeks ago but now they are completely gone.

Also a friend of mine drove to Galway and back from Tullamore yesterday to pick up some equipment and there were no checkpoints.

Has anyone actually seen a check point over the last 2 weeks ?

There was a neat constant Garda checkpoint on the Tullamore bypass up until 2-3 weeks ago but now they are completely gone.

Also a friend of mine drove to Galway and back from Tullamore yesterday to pick up some equipment and there were no checkpoints.

No. Not even an untidy one!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure. If they have no legal authority to enforce the restrictions at this point, then any instructions they give under that would be invalid, no? They can't just send someone home if it's not illegal to travel. Essentially all they can do is ask or suggest, but nothing more than that?

In practical terms I'd imagine it won't come up unless someone is stopped for some other reason. It's being spun as no longer appropriate in the current phase, but the reality is that the money has run out and the will to comply by the general public is dropping rapidly as the daily numbers have (thankfully) been dropping also.
    I think it depends on exactly what the regulations say. The newspapers are saying it's no longer a criminal offence, but if there are still "requirements" to restrict travel they may be able to instruct you to follow them.

They may be able enforce it for not following the directions of the Gardai. This is all speculation on my part though as I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Garda powers.However I have seen some suggestions they can "direct" you on certain road traffic matters

Equally if you are non-compliant on any other matter, such as out of date NCT, lack of proper insurance documentation etc I think that would be the sort of thing most likely to trigger further action

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

There was one outside our apartment complex in Glasnevin last week on one of the sunny days. I was sitting out so was watching it. 5 guards, 4 of which were huddled around talking. 1 guard was waving down traffic but only seemed to be looking at discs and wasn’t asking people where they were going. He pulled in a young man on a motorbike and seemed to take interest at something to the rear of the bike, possibly lights. That was it though. The four others did nothing but chat to each other. They were gone after about 20 mins.

That’s the only one I’ve seen in about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Checkpoint on the M9 at junction 5 Carlow on the bank holiday weekend, I myself was driving from Lucan home to Kilkenny. Got a bit nervous expecting the usual "what is the purpose of your journey etc" but quick glance of the windscreen and saw that was in order and I was waved on. A typical bank holiday checkpoint, don't think they had any interest in COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

smeal wrote: »
    There was one outside our apartment complex in Glasnevin last week on one of the sunny days. I was sitting out so was watching it. 5 guards, 4 of which were huddled around talking. 1 guard was waving down traffic but only seemed to be looking at discs and wasn’t asking people where they were going. He pulled in a young man on a motorbike and seemed to take interest at something to the rear of the bike, possibly lights. That was it though. The four others did nothing but chat to each other. They were gone after about 20 mins.

That’s the only one I’ve seen in about a month.
    More than likely a tiny or obscured number plate.

Not your ornery onager

I was stopped this morning but wasn't asked where I was going to or coming from. They seemed to just be checking tax and insurance discs. A fella two cars in front had to pull into the side of the road for further questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Anyone know what the craic will be in Dublin airport with regard to a quarantine address if I'm staying at a property in Newry for the duration?

Advertisement