Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options
1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭horse7

Give the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

horse7 wrote: »
    Give the address.

Sound. Even though I wouldn't be staying in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Lemsiper wrote: »

You need to put down some basic information but you don't need to put in any address if you're going to the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Lemsiper wrote: »

If that's were you are staying I very much doubt that there's anything they can do to stop you.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Discodog wrote: »
    The only checkpoints will be the usual tax, insurance etc

Business as usual then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Checkpoints all finished now. I wonder will we ever experience something like that in our lifetimes again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Checkpoints all finished now. I wonder will we ever experience something like that in our lifetimes again.

Hopefully not. While I think the Gardai generally did a decent job over the last few months they are dangerous powers to be giving to agents of the State and it wouldn't be good for them to get too used to having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hopefully not. While I think the Gardai generally did a decent job over the last few months they are dangerous powers to be giving to agents of the State and it wouldn't be good for them to get too used to having them.

Gardai are pussycats compared to some foreign police forces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And let's keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

I would call them professionals, not pussycats.

I was hugely impressed by the diplomacy and civility of our gardai. In stark contrast to forces elsewhere who use drones to track people taking country walks, or shout at them with megaphones. That's apart from the lunatics passing for police in the US.

I was disappointed to see armed gardai very visible at some routine checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    And let's keep it that way.

until you need them isn't that right …..

mynamejeff wrote: »
    until you need them isn't that right …..

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Breezin wrote: »
    I would call them professionals, not pussycats.

I was hugely impressed by the diplomacy and civility of our gardai. In stark contrast to forces elsewhere who use drones to track people taking country walks, or shout at them with megaphones. That's apart from the lunatics passing for police in the US.

I was disappointed to see armed gardai very visible at some routine checkpoints.

Why? There was serious armed criminals moving drugs around at the time. The guards needed armed support.

Advertisement