Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm currently away from home and getting back would involve a 90 minute drive so I'm staying put.

But I renewed my car insurance last week and they've naturally enough sent the disc/cert to my home address.
    Emailed them yesterday to ask if they'd resend to where I am given the circumstances. Absolutely, 20 quid please!

Never miss a chance do they? :(

I'd get someone at home(assuming you have someone there) to send a pic of the document to you and show the pic if stopped and questioned. Dammed if I'd give 20 blips .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd get someone at home(assuming you have someone there) to send a pic of the document to you and show the pic if stopped and questioned. Dammed if I'd give 20 blips .

Not an option unfortunately. Usually just myself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just take a read through even the last few pages of this (or any Covid) thread and you'll see people figuring the rules don't apply to them, and justifying bending the rules to breaking point and well beyond, because, y'know, they're different.

That's why they're out.

STAY AT HOME for 2 weeks, unless you absolutely need to go out for one of a very small number of reasons.

I have read the thread & I haven't seen any irresponsible behaviour that poses a risk to anyone. I think the vast majority are doing their absolute best & don't need more hassle.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have read the thread & I haven't seen any irresponsible behaviour that poses a risk to anyone. I think the vast majority are doing their absolute best & don't need more hassle.

Well in the example I gave above, me going home would involve stepping out the door, into the car, driving straight home (I wouldn't even need diesel as I filled it last week), and into an empty house and then the return trip.

I can't see what risk that poses to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats your listening for authority in general and the Garda in particular?
    Do you see them as remnants of the B&Ts/auxiliaries?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They're standing back when speaking to you you stick your hand out and they stick theirs BAM 2 metres, just take a producer.

Take a producer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well in the example I gave above, me going home would involve stepping out the door, into the car, driving straight home (I wouldn't even need diesel as I filled it last week), and into an empty house and then the return trip.

Indeed, until there is an accident....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

How much would that return trip cost you

It doesn't but you should expect the sheep to SHOUT AT YOU. If you get stopped it will depend on the individual attitude of the Garda & whether they use the opportunity to check everything else.

There could be an accident close to home, in fact that's where the majority occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

I'm caring for a very vulnerable child at the moment and we wil have to travel to crumlin hospital next week, I was wondering if I'm stopped at a checkpoint and held up a sheet of paper with the explanation on it without rolling down my window would this be acceptable,? We have to be extra careful as our daughter would not survive this virus

No more or less likely than any other day (actually probably less given reduced traffic generally) , and could just as easily happen (or not) if going to the local shops as permitted regardless. Don't think it counts

nagel wrote: »
    How much would that return trip cost you

About half a tank of diesel. Around 50 quid at current prices

copperhead wrote: »
    I'm caring for a very vulnerable child at the moment and we wil have to travel to crumlin hospital next week, I was wondering if I'm stopped at a checkpoint and held up a sheet of paper with the explanation on it without rolling down my window would this be acceptable,? We have to be extra careful as our daughter would not survive this virus

That’s what I’m doing when visiting someone cocooned - just state

1. Where you’ve come from (home area)
    2. Where you’re going and why

Do a similar page for return journey- it will be obvious with the baby in the car- I don’t see a need for them to question you any more. Also state you’d prefer not to open window if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

You will not catch covid 19 from a 1 minute interaction outside. Not unless the guard sticks his head in the window and ye have the shift before going on your way. Also where a face mask at all times. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I'm afraid nobody here knows for sure.

It will all depend on the individual garda stopping you.
    Maybe give them a call and ask for advice.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yes, that should be fine, and if do need to, get out of the car, stand 2 meters from the guard & explain the circumstances.
    Basic common sense seems to be out the window with some of the responses in this thread..

The purpose of the checks is to 'advise' the people that are just out for the sake of it to go home & stay there, not hassle those that have genuine reason for travelling.

Stay safe & safe travelling....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

keano25 wrote: »
    You will not catch covid 19 from a 1 minute interaction outside. Not unless the guard sticks his head in the window and ye have the shift before going on your way. Also where a face mask at all times. You'll be fine.

Unqualified advice like this is extremely dangerous, you need to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

What crime are they trying to stop, apart from NCT, Tax etc ? Anyone can go out for food. People won't be going to work because their businesses are closed. What are these supposed unnecessary journeys ?

They are stopping people traveling over 2km for exercise. The are not allowing anyone to park n the Phoenix park - people who live within 2km can walk no problem but no parking in there. It has worked brilliantly - no more large crowds of walkers on the main road paths. The checkpoints are doing a great job of making people realise how serious the current actions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

if i hand my drivers licence to the guard then when my licence is returned it is potentially contaminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

if i hand my drivers licence to the guard then when my licence is returned it is potentially contaminated.

That's why you hold it up to the window, as explained around page 1 of this thread!

No my point is, the one minute it will take for you to explain you will not catch it. Guards are human not robots.. given your situation nobody is going to ask you a thousand questions. I hope everything works out ok with your child.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Unqualified advice like this is extremely dangerous, you need to stop that.

Good man.. where a mask is bad advice? What have you been listening to since January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

fergus1001 wrote: »
    they are encouraging people to stay the fluck home like they're supposed to be
    they were stopping cars near the beach in kilmore last sunday and sent several cars away . people had driven miles just to go for a walk .The previous weekend it was unbelievable what people were there . Some people are just ignorant or thick and think the restrictions are for everyone else

Not unless the guard sticks his head in the window and ye have the shift before going on your way. Alne.

Greatest load of rubbish post that I’ve seen on this thread- it’s not a sexually transmitted disease - it’s a very infectious flu like virus that is highly contagious -

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I got stopped at a checkpoint for the first time returning home from work yesterday evening and I have to say the Gardai were very polite and courteous, just asked where I was coming from and where I was going so I showed them my licence and a letter from my employer explaining I was classed as a frontline worker and they wished me safe journey and let me on my way. The whole process took less than two minutes so it's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Good man.. where a mask is bad advice? What have you been listening to since January?

Mask is excellent advice. The rest is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There could be an accident close to home, in fact that's where the majority occur.

Which is why they've asked everybody to STAY AT HOME unless absolutely necessary.

Jesus, how hard can it be to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Blondie919 wrote: »
    But I still had to go to work first in order to get said letter. It's all the one now anyway. Drove to and from work today and not a guard or checkpoint in sight.

Most employers I know of have sent it out electronically, either to be actually printed out (how quaint), or to be kept on a phone or other mobile device. That was done specifically to stop the need for people to drive in and collect it.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Which is why they've asked everybody to STAY AT HOME unless absolutely necessary.

Jesus, how hard can it be to understand?

Hold on now. The whole point is to reduce risk of exposure or spreading it and that's fair enough.

But the exceptions list is a mile long and that's been risk accepted by employers and the authorities.

So if there's no risk (I'll use my own example of a direct A-B return journey by car with no other people at the far end) then there should be no issue in theory.

The problem is that they (understandably) are aiming at the lowest common denominator, but that leaves the rest of us frustrated unnecessarily (again specifically referring to the example above)

Advertisement