Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hold on now. The whole point is to reduce risk of exposure or spreading it and that's fair enough.

But the exceptions list is a mile long and that's been risk accepted by employers and the authorities.

So if there's no risk (I'll use my own example of a direct A-B return journey by car with no other people at the far end) then there should be no issue in theory.

The problem is that they (understandably) are aiming at the lowest common denominator, but that leaves the rest of us frustrated unnecessarily (again specifically referring to the example above)

Because clearly aiming at the lowest common denominator is the only way to make this work.

Too many people think they're cleverer, or smarter, or special, and the rules shouldn't apply to THEM.

If your journey is absolutely necessary, then make it. If it isn't, STAY AT HOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Most employers I know of have sent it out electronically, either to be actually printed out (how quaint), or to be kept on a phone or other mobile device. That was done specifically to stop the need for people to drive in and collect it.

Yup I got one mailed to me by HR yesterday, though I've no real need for it as I'm WFH anyway the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Greatest load of rubbish post that I’ve seen on this thread- it’s not a sexually transmitted disease - it’s a very infectious flu like virus that is highly contagious -

Which is spread by droplets from the mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I thought I got stopped by a horse in Castleknock while on foot yesterday, asking me where I was headed to and from. But I looked up and there was a Garda on the horse and it was him speaking. There were no issues and the Garda was sound, the horse had a bit of an attitude tho.......

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Is there a penalty if you are out unnecessarily in your car 5km away from your house? Fine etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Seriously, people here would moan about anything.

I've been stopped, both of us were polite, I answered the question and moved on, it's about the police showing a visual presence and proactive policing. It's encouraging people to stay home where possible, I don't get people crying about it on here.

Irish people (or maybe just people on here) love a good moan over nothing, complaining they check tax and insurance, as if the gardai shouldn't be enforcing laws because of a pandemic? Don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

rafatoni wrote: »
    Is there a penalty if you are out unnecessarily in your car 5km away from your house? Fine etc?

No these are guidelines there’s no new legislation as far as I know. But toe the line once in your life ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

MadYaker wrote: »
    No these are guidelines there’s no new legislation as far as I know. But toe the line once in your life ffs

Oh i am toeing the line, 3 weeks WFH. I was just asking as i seen something about up norf, so wind your neck in lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Seriously, people here would moan about anything.

I've been stopped, both of us were polite, I answered the question and moved on, it's about the police showing a visual presence and proactive policing. It's encouraging people to stay home where possible, I don't get people crying about it on here.

Irish people (or maybe just people on here) love a good moan over nothing, complaining they check tax and insurance, as if the gardai shouldn't be enforcing laws because of a pandemic? Don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about.

The standard Boards comment, rinse & repeat. Let's have the Army on the streets too. The sight of armed soldiers will totally ensure compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

How are you supposed to tax the car now that tax offices are closed. Are they giving exemptions like the N.C.T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How are you supposed to tax the car now that tax offices are closed. Are they giving exemptions like the N.C.T

Is online not an option for you?
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-motor-tax/tax-vehicle-online

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Online like the rest of the entire country have been doing for the last 10+ years :rolleyes: Keep the screenshot as proof of payment. Nothing to worry about.

Not an excuse to not pay your tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

And if you don't have a bank account? It gets lost in the post don't you have to buy it again? I ask one of them in the tax office before the girl said you would have to buy it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

And if you don't have a bank account? It gets lost in the post don't you have to buy it again? I ask one of them in the tax office before the girl said you would have to buy it again.

You can apply for a replacement disc. I think it costs 5 euro.

Surely to God you know someone with a debit card. Give them cash and ask them to tax your car online for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I thought I got stopped by a horse in Castleknock while on foot yesterday, asking me where I was headed to and from. But I looked up and there was a Garda on the horse and it was him speaking. There were no issues and the Garda was sound, the horse had a bit of an attitude tho.......

Or a great grandson of Mr Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

Just tax the effin' car and stop looking for problems where they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

local copper where i live does as little as possible at all times and that includes now

the post office ( which is also a small shop ) is barely big enough to swing a cat in yet despite this has the following sign up

" NO MORE THAN FOUR CUSTOMERS IN SHOP AT ONCE "

it wasnt until i was leaving the post office - shop today and this chump walked right past me ( less than a foot between us ) that my attention was brought to the sign , i looked at your man and asked him would he not wait until i left the shop before coming in

he pointed to the aforementioned sign which i had missed on the way in and said nothing

the shop owner probably printed out a standard sign which is suitable for shops ten times the size but the useless badge across the street couldnt even be bothered having a word with them about only allowing one customer in at a time

the pharmacist not far away has a unit twice as big yet only allows one customer enter the pharmacy at a time

as i said, the local time server here does as little as possible and a public health emergency hasnt changed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

rafatoni wrote: »

€2500 fine or 6 months in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

€2500 fine or 6 months in prison.

Have you got a source for this?

It's been all over the news for the past week, one of many articles: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0320/1124483-covid-19-legislation/

• Advertisement

"The state has deployed hundreds of extra police on the streets and passed laws to enforce the restrictions – violators can be arrested, fined €2,500 (£2,241) and jailed for six months."

And another https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/ireland-adapts-to-coronavirus-lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

What driver isn't used to a checkpoint? These are useless, just being done to look like they are doing something helpful.

No tax/nct/insurance/license check each time. Simply a tiny little girl who should be no where near a uniform asking me where I'm going.

In your opinion why should she be nowhere near a uniform? Her height? Her gender? You just didn't like the look of her?

Seriously, get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

That fine of 2500 as per linked article relates to specifically covid-19 positives who fail to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

What driver isn't used to a checkpoint? These are useless, just being done to look like they are doing something helpful.

No tax/nct/insurance/license check each time. Simply a tiny little girl who should be no where near a uniform asking me where I'm going.

Garda stops car driven by a Queasy Tadpole - even a 'tiny little girl' garda might want to know WTF is going on

:p

lalababa wrote: »
    That fine of 2500 as per linked article relates to specifically covid-19 positives who fail to self isolate.

No theres separate ones for that around detention, where a person can be detained on the advice of a medical health officer if it is believed they pose a health risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

lalababa wrote: »

No it's not...it's the penalty for anyone who breaches a regulation the minister enforces. He has the power to implement any measure necessary to stop the spread of COVID19.
    It is an offence (punishable by a fine of up to €2,500 and/or 6 months in prison) to contravene any regulation, or to obstruct, interfere or impede a person in the exercise of their powers under a regulation, or to fail or refuse to give information that is required or to give information that is false or misleading in purported compliance with a regulation.

https://www.arthurcox.com/knowledge/covid-19-key-features-of-irish-emergency-legislation/

Witcher wrote: »
    No it's not...it's the penalty for anyone who breaches a regulation the minister enforces. He has the power to implement any measure necessary to stop the spread of COVID19.

https://www.arthurcox.com/knowledge/covid-19-key-features-of-irish-emergency-legislation/

Thanks that link actually covers it perfectly.

I don't think a lot of the rule benders were aware that there could be immediate actual consequences for their actions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

;););)

Thanks that link actually covers it perfectly.

I don't think a lot of the rule benders were aware that there could be immediate actual consequences for their actions :)

Cheers. I'm out of self isolation tomorrow and my local shop won't cut it for everything I need. Not sure if driving 25 mins to large supermarket is taking the piss or not.

What's the boards advice here?

• Advertisement

;););)

I wasn't being antsy or disbelieving, was genuinely looking for a source ;):D

Advertisement