Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Cheers. I'm out of self isolation tomorrow and my local shop won't cut it for everything I need. Not sure if driving 25 mins to large supermarket is taking the piss or not.

What's the boards advice here?

You're allowed, it's for groceries so it's necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    Hold on now. The whole point is to reduce risk of exposure or spreading it and that's fair enough.
    That's only part of it

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    The problem is that they (understandably) are aiming at the lowest common denominator, but that leaves the rest of us frustrated unnecessarily (again specifically referring to the example above)

If your car broke down and needed a tow truck, theres all sorts of emergency crew involved, same if you were involved in a crash.
    That's emergency services wasting their time.
    It's not convenient but it's not about you or me driving A to B. If the journeys not critical don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

lots of checks in this area and checking the cars are taxed too, could they not give the tax a miss in the current situation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my nct is out by a month...suppose they'll wave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

LeoHughes wrote: »
    lots of checks in this area and checking the cars are taxed too, could they not give the tax a miss in the current situation

Was often said in the past that the road tax pays the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

LeoHughes wrote: »

They are attitude checking, I have been stopped three times in the last two weeks . (I'm working and am essential) it was only today that I realised I had never put in the current tax disc as I noticed the guard had a good look at my disc setup before saying "go on so"
    Tax was three months out and none of them mentioned it.

They are showing force and all law abiding helpful citizens should support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the gardai want to see your license no problem but my window will be up in helping to stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

fryup wrote: »
    my nct is out by a month...suppose they'll wave it?

I believe they will see above .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Where are these checks ? I haven't heard of any around Galway.

Discodog wrote: »
    Where are these checks ? I haven't heard of any around Galway.

They’re not at fixed points- they’re like any normal Garda checkpoint - I’d say they’re more likely to be seen between medium sized towns- say Athlone and Ballinasloe- querying why people are travelling between the two towns - you’ll also likely see them at visitor hotspots at weekends again ensuring that people aren’t breaching the rules.

• Advertisement

Stopped three times tonight at seperate checkpoints within a 15 km radius while dropping groceries off to a few cocooning folk.

Good to see the checks are still happening, even just the optics of garda visibility are a positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When I finally break for freedom I'm going to carry a bag of shopping, a day glow bib and my LTI book, one of those will see me grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gerry T wrote: »

If your car broke down and needed a tow truck, theres all sorts of emergency crew involved, same if you were involved in a crash..

No, there's not unless you've ended up somewhere stupid like astride a dual carriageway. Just a recovery truck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Cheers. I'm out of self isolation tomorrow and my local shop won't cut it for everything I need. Not sure if driving 25 mins to large supermarket is taking the piss or not.

What's the boards advice here?

I drove for 2 hours around Galway county twice this week (via Galway city) and never came across 1 Garda. I didn't even see one. I was bringing shopping to 2 elderly relatives. If I am stopped I am just going to tell them I am bringing shopping to elderly relatives. I don't expect any hassle whatsoever. If they volunteer to deliver the shopping, well and good.

I drove for 2 hours around Galway county twice this week (via Galway city) and never came across 1 Garda. I didn't even see one. I was bringing shopping to 2 elderly relatives. If I am stopped I am just going to tell them I am bringing shopping to elderly relatives. I don't expect any hassle whatsoever. If they volunteer to deliver the shopping, well and good.

You shouldn't have any trouble, it's considered essential care and is covered as a reason to leave home/go beyond 2kms etc.

I was stopped three times tonight and no problems at all, unfortunately all online shopping options seem to be gone everywhere so they can't even get deliveries.

I call up to two or three households a couple of times a week with the essentials and that's it, leave groceries on the doorstep and phone them to say I've dropped it off.

How all these people are expected to cocoon and there's no arrangements for how they will get food is a big problem and one that's going to become more apparent as more people need to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

A guy beside me mows lawns for a living this time of year, how would his service rank in the essential services list?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A guy beside me mows lawns for a living this time of year, how would his service rank in the essential services list?

Gardens are mentioned & he can easily comply with social distancing. Would you rather he claim €300+ per week ?

Essential maintenance? I’m only guessing here. A well maintained estate and area is great for morale and feeling good about the place you live and detracts gurriers entering that area.
    I mean, he’s out in the open- often these guys work alone/ no one is going to go near a guy running around on a lawnmower - yes he’s taking up road space but hardly that impactful - if he breaks down somewhere that’s where he might run into problems.
    I’d prefer to see as many people who can work, without impacting on other people’s health, to do so and to keep the economy going in some way-I’d see the risk of his job either catching or spreading the virus as minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Discodog wrote: »
    Gardens are mentioned & he can easily comply with social distancing. Would you rather he claim €300+ per week ?

I'm not being critical, I think he should be let go about as plenty says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Driving to work all week and haven't come across any checkpoint so far.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Got to drive to Wexford tomorrow (from Dublin). New property we've got had part of the roof blown off its stables a couple of weeks ago, and it's the first chance I'm getting to check it out. "Essential maintenance" will be my reasoning if I'm stopped, as I need to understand if it's any more dangerous than when it was first reported to me (which was before the travel restrictions)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

was stopped going into clones yesterday either 5 or 6 guards together seemed a bit over the top or maby a couple were newbies the road was very quite so not sure the reason for so many .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I live in Dublin and I have not seen 1 checkpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

kravmaga wrote: »

St Annes Park or Clontarf promenade at the weekend... never seen so many guards - at least not since the peak of the Hutch feud!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kravmaga wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin too K and I've gone through three such checkpoints. Maybe it's different in different areas? No hassle with the guys involved. They asked me basic questions in a chatty fashion; who was I, where was I coming from and where was I going to and why. So I answered and they were cool and off I went on my way.

I've only very rarely had individual Guards being dicks about things, and they were clearly just dicks outa the womb, uniform or no. And bear in mind I look like the kinda guy you end up stumbling upon, in a Peruvian bordello, after a feed of drink you didn't think was humanly possible, or survivable, and my first words to you would be; "I can get you the best peyote. In ten minutes".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Beasty wrote: »
    Got to drive to Wexford tomorrow (from Dublin). New property we've got had part of the roof blown off its stables a couple of weeks ago, and it's the first chance I'm getting to check it out. "Essential maintenance" will be my reasoning if I'm stopped, as I need to understand if it's any more dangerous than when it was first reported to me (which was before the travel restrictions)

Safe driving - it’s not like you’re organising a family BBQ on the beach or something - how many people have to drive from Dublin or wherever to Wexford tomorrow to fix a roof or other such emergency?
    In my mind, the road and route is open to you-take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Beasty wrote: »

The chances of you being stopped is slim id say. I travel quite a bit between Waterford and Wexford and have not gone through a single checkpoint on this side of the country.

I seen one checkpoint..near enough to the house and it was more or less a photo op as they were gone after 5mins.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I've said I have a good reason. I'll stop at services for some fuel and maybe a coffee, but other than that I'll interact with no-one (except possibly the Gardai:))

Will have the son with me, but he can go up the ladders if required:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What's "a producer" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Got stopped on my way to do a shopping spree and no issues.

Advertisement