Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property to rent query

Options
  • 29-03-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭

Quick one folks...

2 friends have a shared ownership on a property for many years now in the castleknock of Dublin 15. The property is in a well maintained complex close to all ameneties, very good location in fairness and its in very good nick. 3 double bedrooms, 2 down & 1 up with enusuite and main bathroom

First query: They have been way under-renting for quite some time and their intention was to sell in the current situation with all that is going on, they have decided to rent for 1 more year and then off-load. In terms of actually viewing the property with current restrictions in place, is it even possible ? (to arrange to open up for private viewings)

2nd: The previous tenants have obviously moved out so in terms of rental price, are they bound by the previous rental price or are they free to increase to current market level? I would have thought the latter.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

dodzy wrote: »
    First query: They have been way under-renting for quite some time and their intention was to sell in the current situation with all that is going on, they have decided to rent for 1 more year and then off-load. In terms of actually viewing the property with current restrictions in place, is it even possible ? (to arrange to open up for private viewings)

Not sure about this one. But I imagine that they don't 'need' to rent it immediately so therefore they shouldn't open up viewings.
    Also, given the general circumstances, just wait a few weeks.
    dodzy wrote: »
    2nd: The previous tenants have obviously moved out so in terms of rental price, are they bound by the previous rental price or are they free to increase to current market level? I would have thought the latter.

They can only increase 4% per year since the last rent review. They are not free to increase it to whatever they deem the current market value to be.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

accensi0n, thanks a mill for the input. Being in a Rent Pressure Zone is obviously the reason for their inability to increase.

Someone will be getting a very nice deal so! One final Q.... Daft / Myhome.ie - are they 2 separate entities with the requirement to pay for ads on both sites if you wish to avail of them both ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Go with daft.ie it goes on rent.ie for free...there really is only daft...my home is so far behind.

While you can’t do physical viewings you can do a lot. Take plenty of photos of every room. Or do a video tour of the property And show it to your short list of potential tenants. Short list the tenants get their references in. Do a digital lease through daft. It is possible to let the property without tenants viewing it or you ever meeting tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Go with daft.ie it goes on rent.ie for free...there really is only daft...my home is so far behind.

While you can’t do physical viewings you can do a lot. Take plenty of photos of every room. Or do a video tour of the property And show it to your short list of potential tenants. Short list the tenants get their references in. Do a digital lease through daft. It is possible to let the property without tenants viewing it or you ever meeting tenants.

We rented two properties without ever physically viewing them....one in 2005 and again in 2007. It was no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Millem wrote: »
    We rented two properties without ever physically viewing them....one in 2005 and again in 2007. It was no problem at all.

People coming from over seas do it all the time but usually with reputable letting agents.
    They might still be interested in a private deal but with a lesser financial commitment until they are in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - google your area in daft and see what the comparable market rate is and set your rent at that. You say it hasn’t been rent reviewed in years and the previous lodgers were there for years? Local Market rate it and do screengrabs of comparable properties rent advertised in your area.

Regarding renting at the moment I’d hold off - apart from the obvious risks to all concerned there is the question of why people would be moving in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown and whether the would or will retain their ability to pay. Far safer to wait a month or two than find yourself with someone whose job or company no longer exists and who you move in and then are forced to wait 2 years to evict while they have a free ride and your expense. Quite likely to happen atm.

daft ads are free - I’d only put one up first as you should be inundated with replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

OP - google your area in daft and see what the comparable market rate is and set your rent at that. You say it hasn’t been rent reviewed in years and the previous lodgers were there for years? Local Market rate it and do screengrabs of comparable properties rent advertised in your area.

Regarding renting at the moment I’d hold off - apart from the obvious risks to all concerned there is the question of why people would be moving in the middle of a pandemic and lockdown and whether the would or will retain their ability to pay. Far safer to wait a month or two than find yourself with someone whose job or company no longer exists and who you move in and then are forced to wait 2 years to evict while they have a free ride and your expense. Quite likely to happen atm.

daft ads are free - I’d only put one up first as you should be inundated with replies.

Yes renting for years and never upped the rent as tenants were top notch. That said, it was easily 500plus lower than it should have been at the end of the tenancy but that said, I believe assensi0n’s reply is correct as it falls into a RPZ so they are very restricted in terms of what they can rent for unless it has either not been rented for minimum 2 hrs or has undergone substantial refurb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think renting is not a runner at least till the end of the summer. Even then worst case they could get in and refuse to pay and it would take years to never get them out. Could cost you tens of thousands. Why risk it?

Selling it and doing it all online is possible but I think there is a window where people ready to buy will still be able and willing to buy. Especially in a place like D15 which has no supply for years. If it hasn't sold by the end of the summer I think the market will slow to a crawl and people will wait and see that happens.

Depends on how fast China gets going again and if we can repeat that here. Lots of unknowns.

You could sell then buy back in later in a place that's not been rented before. No cap then. Free to set market rate.

Advertisement