Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers to the house in a pandemic!

• 29-03-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Just had a car of a certain ethnic minority call to my house there.Wanted to know if I was selling a caravan that is parked out the back.Jesus Christ,the country is in lockdown and this crowd are swanning around.I live in an isolated area and to see em pull up is worrying.Called the guards with the reg,but it is maddening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The Guards will do sweet F.A.
    These are a protected species (sorry race)

Maybe i'm a racist...:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

What part of Limerick? Was there a hitch on the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Tell them to jog on through the letter box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Use the Padraig Nally method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

South Limerick.......I know well they weren't looking for any caravan.Just an excuse to see what is around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Will leave this open, but 2 yellows handed out already. Next one won't be a yellow, so have some common sense .Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We had one of those clothes collection stickers put in every letterbox in our estate on Saturday morning.
    Plastic sticker labels, bad spelling, no registered charity numbers.
    Were they using gloves? Did they have the virus?
    Did a child grab the sticker from the letterbox and start playing with it?

God only knows.

140+ houses....

Straight in the bin (followed by a good soapy handwash). Sheer stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

padohaodha wrote: »
    Just had a car of a certain ethnic minority call to my house there.Wanted to know if I was selling a caravan that is parked out the back.Jesus Christ,the country is in lockdown and this crowd are swanning around.I live in an isolated area and to see em pull up is worrying.Called the guards with the reg,but it is maddening

Had something similar here in Caherdavin.Asking to do the gutters, and when we said no.They then ask to use the toilet to gain entry in the house. Luckily I have a huge Lab, so they left once he barked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d say their income is seriously down at the minute. People not leaving their homes makes it hard to break in and steal valuables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

padohaodha wrote: »

You should have told them your household has Covid19 so you hope they haven't touched the gate etc.
    You'd want to be up early for that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

Had something similar here in Caherdavin.Asking to do the gutters, and when we said no.They then ask to use the toilet to gain entry in the house. Luckily I have a huge Lab, so they left once he barked.

Tell them you dont want anything and goodbye, if they refuse, tell them to cop on and get lost or you'll call the Gardai and let the dog on them (even if you didnt have one), but do people really need a dog to deal with these people? I understand it helps, personally I think they are looking at the response, hardline and no nonsense can get a better result imo, but it depends on the individual, If you're concerned about opening the door which is reasonable, (I had the front door kicked in by a traveller when I opened it as a child, til I roared for my mam) dont open it if you dont want, and by no means feel obliged to let ANYONE in even if you dont have a dog, wave them off tell them loud and clear you dont want anything.

I noticed one lot turn up around my way selling stuff, I gave them a blunt no twice, but another neighbour has encouraged them by responding/buying something off them and now they keep coming back, IMO thats worse for us all, as they have an excuse to snoop around, no cop on, if I want to buy something, I'll go looking for it, no need to be reminded by some unknown caller at my front door.

Call the Gardai (for whatever good it does) maybe it will be recorded/noticed. Although they (The Gardai) tell people to report stuff to them, then dont want to know/do nothing, tell people not to get involved or deal with things themselves, then will never turn up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement